Um...I'm getting a 2015 Special

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by WDeranged, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

I don't know... I find it kinda gives it a unique look.

2. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Yeah I quite like the butterscotch...I'll probably try some black hardware on there though, just to see. And the silver hat knobs are going on straight away :)

3. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

First impressions opening the box. I was in a very bright room and I could see a ton of ultra fine scratches on the gloss, like someone had been over it with the wrong sort of cloth before it got to me. Another dealer had sent me photos of another 2015 SG with similar scratches, this is my first nitro coated guitar but I kind of expected it to be flawless :confused:

Anyway, playing unplugged and out of the box was pretty good, not much rattle.

G-Force worked straight away, impressive really...which is good because the manual action on the tuners is alien. The super high ratio means you're turning for a long time, and you can feel/hear the little motor whirring angrily as you do, sometimes there's a tiny snag of resistance.

When I got home I got to polishing, it took ten minutes of super light buffing to remove all the swirls and a strange dull spot. I noticed a small imperfection in the finish to the right of the neck pup, you can't see it unless you look for it.

Cleaned off a load of black dust from the fretboard, oiled it, changed strings (11s) and put a tiny, tiiiiny little ding in the body :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Bettyboo likes this.
  4. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Got everything set to factory spec, I think I love the fretboard, it's really slick, no buzzing or choked notes. I can feel the wider neck but not sure what to think yet, thumb wrapping is slightly more difficult but bends are noticeably easier compared to my Faded. I noticed a slight depression in the neck around the 3rd fret, you can feel it with your thumb if you're super careful.

The brass nut does everything it's supposed to do, the G-Force never snags a string and open notes sound fantastic...but bending high strings near the nut causes pinging, lube doesn't help much.

It almost goes without saying that it sounds great, the pickups are bright and punchy. It's actually a real pleasure to play this guitar, there's plenty of singing sustain and I found myself getting lost in the moment.

To boil it down, there are quality control issues with the finish but it plays excellently and sounds great. G-Force works and is genuinely cool but the tuners worry me, I can't imagine those little plastic (I'm guessing) gears lasting more than a few years and manual tuning feels unintuitive, almost like it's something you're not meant to be doing.

I've got two weeks to decide whether I want to keep her :eek:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Bettyboo likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

... that means playing the bajeebers out of her! Get started now and be absolutely sure. :)

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

congratulations! I like to keep an open mind about things, so there's no knee-jerk Gibson bashing form me.

I think you should keep it... especially since you've signed it with its first
    ding already. That's the way a guitar is supposed to look. But I like the grain in the first photos you showed. It's a looker. Your comments on the neck and action are very interesting, now we want to know how the pickups line up with your existing guitars and amp settings.

I also like to keep an open mind about this site and whatever 'improvements' we are witnessing.
    Good luck to all of us.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Don't turn the keys by hand when the tuner is on!
    Get a micro-fiber cloth and some Gibson pump polish.
    Most of those fine scratches should polish out with a little buffing.
    Of course, this is all academic, since , "Pics, or it didn't happen!);)
    ;>)/

8. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

I'm leaning towards keeping but it's the most I've ever spent on a guitar (early 35th bday treat!) and I feel like I need to be at peace with it. Part of me wants a 2014 Walnut SG but I've learned that thin finishes drive me nuts and I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get another fretboard as nice as this.

Sticky neck syndrome is getting to me a bit but I hear the nitro should settle, I'm not against using wire wool if necessary. The pings from the nut (when bending high strings on the first few frets) don't seem to affect tuning or come through the amp so maybe that's a non issue but it bugs me a bit.

The pickups are pretty hot, I checked via Amplitube and the 61 is as hot as the JB in the bridge of my Faded but with less mid range honk. The neck 61 outputs almost as much as the bridge, it's not as bright as the Seymour Duncan Jazz I had in the Faded but it's got way more output. It's brighter and more articulate than the 57 Classic currently in the neck of my Faded, twice as loud.

The 61 humbuckers are so loud and well balanced that I kinda question the 50's wiring kit I put in my Faded. I really didn't expect the 61 to have as much (maybe a hair more) push than the JB, seems suspicious.

I'll have some time to properly turn up my amps today so I'll report back.

I've got some Planet Waves polish which has taken out all the swirls you could see with the naked eye but I'll check out Gibson's stuff. I actually wanted to mention microfibre cloths, I've tried quite a few of them and they all leave scratches. Tried a Kodac lens polishing cloth instead and it works perfectly...not very big though.

9. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

I forgot to mention that at one point last night I picked up my Faded and started to tune it. I thought to myself 'I like tuning my guitar, it gives me a meditative moment before playing'...it got tedious after two minutes. I played for five minutes, went out of tune, tuned up, played a bit more, did more fine tuning.

Then I picked up the 2015 Special and pressed a button and started playing within seconds. I played for over half an hour and had to tap the tuning button a couple of times but not once did it stop me in my tracks like manual tuning.

I just wonder if I'm a year or two early to the party with this tech, the sound of those little motors doesn't fill me with confidence and the manual action is just nasty.

10. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Enabled low tuning mode...I found the slipknot button! :eek:

peejaybee likes this.
  11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

"I can't imagine those little plastic (I'm guessing) gears lasting more than a few years and manual tuning feels unintuitive, almost like it's something you're not meant to be doing."
    [​IMG]
    No plastic gears. Swiss watch type works. The only ones that I have seen fail were wound while the unit was on or turned with a speed winder.

SG_Island likes this.
  12. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

That puts my mind at ease quite a bit, thanks :)

13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

that's great, I learn something cool every time I come to this forum

14. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Manage to fire off one snap before my camera battery died.

[​IMG]

15. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Well, if looks matter, then I say -- WOW -- a keeper!!

16. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Very cool! :)

17. Jamez

Jamez New Member

Very, very nice .

18. JakeD

JakeD New Member

It really is a beaut piece of wood. I'd like to get my hands on one to compare to an earlier version just for fun. The albeit minor issues you mention are things that just shouldn't be on a guitar in that price range. It just might be typical Gibson at work or the early builds missed out on what should be tighter QC. In the end, you're the final arbiter to decide if it's good enough or not. More pics please!

19. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Yeah I did expect to open the box and see a flawless guitar, I got a good price but I may be able to wriggle it down a bit more given the issues. Chances are that I'll end up keeping the guitar because it seems like such a good player. And it sounds so good stock that I can't decide whether to put my 50's wiring guts in it, dunno if I should even change the pups...probably will though, just to compare.

JakeD likes this.
  20. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Just an update for anyone who cares, the pinging from the brass nut when bending high strings seems to have totally settled down. This is good :cool:

Paul G. likes this.