Ummm, NGD??

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Tobacco Worm, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

OK, I gotta be honest. I was a happy little worm. Content with the instruments I have and the amps are great. I was not looking for a new guitar. There was absolutely no GAS going on here at my place. Except when I ate pizza...

Today I did my payday activities by paying bills and such and was jetting around town in my classic rez-rocket (a '92 Blazer POS) and just popped in to a local pawn shop to browse the tools and guns and such. In the middle of the floor near the stereos was a huge stack of all sorts of amps for sale. I yawned and moved on. Remember I'm a happy worm.... No guns caught my eye. The tools were blah..... Then I made the mistake of looking up at the guitars hung on the wall. Lots of Squire Strats and the token low end Ibenez stuff... Blah.....

Then a blood red SG shape appeared among the usual suspects. I stepped closer.... Their guitars hang BEHIND the big counter (a good thing as it keeps the local yahoos from messing with the few good ones) and I squinted to see the name Maestro on the headstock. It still had the plastic all over it was was unplayed. Not a fingerprint or even a smudge was on this one. I looked at it a moment and saw the price was about average for this model, but I was not in the market for a new guitar. I was content, remember? That's what I was telling myself too when they handed it to me. Yup, brand new and not even a slight mark on the plastic or nuthin'. I smiled at the sweet pretty young lass that was there and this came out of my mouth before I knew I even said it. "What's your best cash deal out the door on this one?" HUH!?!! :wow:What did I just say?!! What's wrong with me? When she walked back with the guitar in her hands after talking to her manager, she quoted a ridiculously low price. I mean it was a stupid low price. The kind that ya really can't walk away from.

So now I gotta lay the blame on someone... Humm.... eS.G.? Lead or Pit perhaps? Naw, I'll take the heat on this one. So here's my low buck SG knockoff with a single HB but with a great neck and remarkably good tone too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So even though it was an impulse buy due to a redundant low sale price, I couldn't pass it up. A little set up work and it rocks like a big dog. Think I'll keep it.... Besides, eS.G. said I deserved a treat for being a good boy right? :naughty:

2. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Nice one bro! HNGD! Now do me a favour... Play that thing 'till you can't play no more! :dude:

eS.G. likes this.
  3. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Hell, yea!

Good buy, and just the thing to get that guitar joy back on track.

Congrats!

4. Tobacco Worm

After setting it up some and pulling those 9's off it and putting some beefier strings on it, this little beast got me outta that slump I was in to be sure. Shreddy would love the neck as its an unfinished maple and fast as greased owl poopie! Now I know I'm not one for mods and such most of the time, but I can see a Lace Duelly going in there soon I think. But for now I'm wailing away and acting like an idiot as usual!:naughty:

shreddy bender, dbb, Alex_SG and 3 others like this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

AWESOME!!!!!!! Congratulations!!! Wade you DO deserve a treat, Hell you will save what the guitar cost on NOT smoking....see how that works. :-) The wife and I both quit....took the money and got her a better car.....with a payment....but its almost a dollar for dollar trade....AND we feel better.

NOW for that little meanie ya got there. AWESOME !!! I am GREEN with envy, been looking for an SG Maestro since that Les Paul Maestro passed through my hands a few months back. A little "tweaking" and you got a fine little player. Don't forget to do my "bolt neck trick" guaranteed to improve tone and sustain and its FREE!!!

Man now ya see why I have such a "thing" for this low dollar geetars.....cheap thrills baby !!!! Your Peavey, now a MAESTRO!!!!! you got the bug Man.

EXCELLENT!!!!! WooHoo..... (I might be getting more excited than I should here) I need sound clips!!!!!!!!

Thats the same neck by the way on that little Irin I just bought slick and fast.

6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Oh....................by the way you are more than TOTALLY welcome to blame it on me!!!!

Also I notice with that pick guard......a flat mount p-90 might easily be installed......and a P-90 neck and bucker bridge is an AWESOME Sound in an SG......

I am sorry .....I will sincerely apologize in advance for contributing to the delinquency of a WILD AND CRAZY GUY!

GFS NYII Surface Mount Handmade Alnico Pickup

7. Tobacco Worm

Well sir, I was just having some fun with that bit, but you did inspire me to do this in a round about way though. It's all good though.:thumb:

As to P90's, my Epi Sg is the '61 Anniversary model with some great P90's in it, so I was thinking of a Lace Sensor Dually with the Emerald and Purple. The purple is like a hot P90, and the Emerald is like an overwound Texas Special single coil when they're hooked up to be split (think: Billy Gibbons Tres Hombres and you got that tone). Together they sound like a hot PAF sorta thing. Those pickups ain't cheap, but they can be wired all sorts of ways and they are SMOKIN'!!!:wow:
    And Bill came over while I was on-line as he tried to call and got no answer 'cuz I got dialup! And he though that since I didn't answer the phone I was laying out dead someplace here. Then he saw the new guitar and hadda sit and play it to death. It was a hoot as he kept saying it needed a neck pickup. I said naw, its fine with just one. But he's not an SG fan anyway. He likes Strats (I thinks he's got 4 now) :dunno:

Alex_SG likes this.
  8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Inspiring??? Well I usually inspire folks to throw things at me so this IS A PLEASANT change!
    Excellent score Wade that thing is pretty always liked the SG version of the Maestro thats what I was LOOKING for when I came across the Les Paul version.

ROCK ON my friend ROCK ON!!!!!

9. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

Been spying those Maestro guitars for a while....nice price.

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Nothin' picks you up, like a red SG.
    Congrats.

11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Have fun with that little Sg!

12. Tobacco Worm

Thanks guys. I suppose one could call this the poor man's SG Jr. huh? Single P/U, wraparound bridge, and such. I didn't pull the pickguard when I was changing strings as I was a might antsy to get it going, but next time I will. Then I can see if it's routed up near the neck. Tapping on the pickguard I can hear that it's hollow under that location and I'm willing to bet that it's wide open under there. We'll see. Granted the pickup is a little weak and gets sorta muddy when pushed hard, a single P/U is just fine. But I do want a Lace Duelly in there though. And I got a 3P-3T on/on/on mini switch just waiting to go on that big guard for a Duelly. :naughty:

After adjusting the relief and settling overnight I can only find two frets that are a might high. But even those are very minor and way up near the heel and only on the treble side. Not too shabby for a cheapo SG copy. Weird huh? But like our big buddy out in N. Calif, Biddlin says "Nothin' picks you up, like a red SG." So true amigo!

13. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Happy. Yes I'm happy.
    It's the little things in life methinks.
    Rock on Big Bro! Paint the town (of Bedrock) red!:thumb:

14. Tobacco Worm

Well I've been playing this thing until I wore out the Dunlop strings on it so, as promised, I pulled the pickguard and was really surprised.... sorta anyway..:naughty:

[​IMG]

So what do ya think? Recon I got room for another pickup up front?:hmm:

At first glance I thought I was looking at the landing gear compartment on a B52, but I do believe I can fit anything I want in there and still have room for hidden pint of Jack Daniels as well. Looking at the pickguard and the large area of the body cavity I can see where I can install two DPDT on/on/on mini-switches, a three-way P/U selector switch, another vol. pot for the front P/U, and..... ready for this, a master vol. pot up front well below the front P/U! :wow: Oh yes, this little low buck beastie boy has got my attention now. :naughty:

Biddlin, you think it's worth a shot at a super-mod attack? Say with a pair of Lace Duelly's on it, a purple/emerald in the neck and a red/blue in the bridge? That'll give me four very different single coils to work with plus the H/B selections and blending of all those variations with independent P/U vol pots and overall control with the master vol?? Or John, do you think I've got too much oxygen in my brain since I quit smoking and finally lost my mind? :dunno:

eS.G. likes this.
  15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Man that thing is almost a semi-hollow body!!! YOu could squeeze a couple more pups in that thing I think.
    DO IT!!!

16. Tobacco Worm

Yeppers, it's kinda cavernous in there huh? With all that open space in there the sky's the limit I figure. And you're right too. It's almost a semi-hollowbody!:laugh2:

Sad part is that if I do go and get those Lace Duelly's and such I'll have close to four times the guitar's value wrapped up in electronics alone.!:wow:
    But what the heck, it's just a big lump of wood, metal, and plastic just like other guitars right? If I like it then who cares? :dunno:

eS.G. and Biddlin like this.
  17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

The beauty of El Cheapo guitars.....you can't hardly "F" them up :-)

DO IT! :-)

18. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Shoot, you could fit a 12 band EQ in there! Nice NGD Mr. Worm

19. Tobacco Worm

Thanks guys. I'm having way too much fun than I'm legally allowed with this cheapy Maestro. Box stock, it's not bad at all. Now imagine what it'll do when I'm through with it? Of course it won't make me play any better, but I can look cool flipping switches and getting a dozen different tones from a single guitar. Gotta count for sumpthin' right? :dunno::laugh2:

eS.G. likes this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The first two weeks after I quit smoking, I built a 100' fence, rebuilt my VW type 1 engine and painted the house, just to keep occupied. :laugh2:
    Keep up the good work!:thumb:
    ;>)/

WavMixer likes this.