Ummm, NGD??

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Tobacco Worm, Jul 1, 2014.

1. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

:lol: Yep I can relate to that......having all that ENERGY can be a good,..,.,., and bad thing lol:naughty:

Go get em' Wade!!!:applause:

I have refurbed 3 SG specials and all 3 new owners where shocked and amazed how good they played and the one with P-90 neck pup had good tones.....what your proposing will BLOW that away.

Did you check in the neck pocket and get out any crud and stuff??? great little mod/fix and FREE :-)

2. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Going on over two weeks now with no smoke and not one, I mean ONE, single cardiac incident or the BP going up. Amazing... but I do know that smoking closes up arteries so I suppose this is the prime result. And yes, I do have more energy these days. (and to think a few months ago I just knew I was heading for the last round up. Figured I was a gonner for sure.....Fooled even me.:dunno:)

Oh, as to the neck pocket on the Maestro. It was clean as a whistle! Not a speck of dust, paint overspray, nuthin! When I pulled the pickguard I expected to see chunks of dirt and dust along with polishing compound, but it was all clean there too. Musta been made on a good day with a clean conscious employee of the guitar firm that built it. Most uncommon though in a very low budget instrument I must say. :hmm:

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit for the new pickups and such. My oven gave up the ghost today. :mad: No oven= No bread, biscuits, sugar free brownies, etc... So there goes my meager savings for the pickups. Oh well, it's not like I don't have other guitars, and the Maestro is pretty good even stock. :)

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS on the smoke free life Wade THAT is truly a prize.

I am surprised (happily) at the luck your having with that Maestro, I mean I have found crud and sawdust.....wood chunks horrible paint overspray all sorts o stuff under necks. Yep yours was obviously made by the new guy tryin to achieve the nickel a week raise. :-)

Sorry to hear about the oven that sucks man. Hope you can get one real soon.....bet that bread is tasty!

I am not too familiar with the pups your looking at. Do you have a linkie thingy????

4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Congrats on the guit smoking there (non ) Tobacco Worm:dude: i quit 12 years ago.smartest thing i ever did.i smoked for 32 years and im 56 now.oh ya,like ur guitar project

5. Tobacco Worm

Here ya go eSG. To see what color sensor sounds like what, go to the regular sensor section and they describe the sounds of each "color" real well.

Electric Guitar Pickups | Lace Music Products | guitar sensors, best guitar pickups, Alumitone Sensors, Dually's, bass pickups, acoustic pickups for any style of music.

Thanks for the encouraging post JohnnyGoo! I've put up my pipes, no cigarettes or cigars have even been near me. I was at my neighbor's house Sat. for a little gathering and informal jam, and when he went outside and lit up his pipe I thought it stunk! Guess I'll make it OK after that huh?

6. JohnnyGoo

Yes it gets easier as time goes by. Wont believe how much better you can breath.i used to hack and cough ect.only thing i notice is in the wintertime up here in Oregon its pretty wet and i got to watch it cause ill get broncitus pretty easy.then that turns into walkin pnumonia if ur not carefull.you live in a dryer area so wont be as much problem

7. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Wade my bro, congrats! I just passed my first full year yesterday without a smoke. Everything is easier now... I don't get as puffed out climbing stairs or walking and have NOT spent about $5000 trying to poison myself! Maybe I might spend that 5k on a new SG and Fender Twin... :naughty:

Biddlin likes this.
  8. Tobacco Worm

Now I suppose his modesty may not permit my saying this, but a while back when my oven croaked and ate up all my spare money, our very own eS.G. came to my rescue. Sent me a pair of fine chrome covered Epi pickups that filled the bill quite nicely. In reality the use of the Lace models would be sorta silly as 98% of the time I'd be in HB mode anyway so eS.G. saved me tons of money and also saved me from myself too! Nicely done lad! And many thanks amigo!:thumb:

[​IMG]
    This is the bridge P/U after some cutting of the pickguard to accommodate the larger size of the cover and such. I did manage to make the cuts with my left hand but it sure felt shaky and odd.

[​IMG]
    This is a "concept pic" of the intended final product. I apologize for the lousy quality of the pic and the intended mods, but a computer and digital photo guy I ain't! So I cut and pasted the same pic of the P/U from the bridge to the neck to show were it will be, and in the corner of the guard below the neck P/U is where the 3-way switch will go ala the Byrdland setup. Going to use a shared vol and tone pots and keep things simple and direct.

So how does this instrument sound with the single Epi P/U in place you say? Well to put it mildly.... GREAT! The bottom has really opened up and deep rich tone is now here. The mids are far more accented but not over the top. The highs are strong and well defined. In short, like night and day.

When I can corner Bill to assist me in cutting in the neck slot then I'll have it in as well. But for now, with still a single pickup in place on this ultra inexpensive guitar, I'm smiling from ear to ear!
    [​IMG]

Though known as a real character among the crowd here, our eS.G. is really quite a good guy but don't tell him I said that as it will spoil his reputation!:thumb::laugh2:

shreddy bender and Biddlin like this.
  9. JohnnyGoo

Ya know both you and ol eSG seem like a couple of good guys that one would want as friends. So do alot of others on here.why i hang around here.i have no facebook,twitter,ect and i only belong to this guitar forum.looks good tobacco worm and hats off to you eSG. Oh by the way,back in my youth i would probably one of the people in ur jail tobacco worm lol lol.just general young guy stuff.nothin to crazy lol

Tobacco Worm and eS.G. like this.
  10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Wade you are most welcome Sir. I am very glad I could help. And thank you Johnny ---I do seem like a nice guy...er at least one of me is.....there is one real a-hole in the bunch--
    AND I must take a moment here and now to say it is truly only due to RatMicks very generous offer and shipping ME his cast off Pups that I was able to be so magnanimous.
    Kudos Ratmick, Kudos to you!
    AGAIN I SAY, This truly is an amazing forum with a full compliment of great folks!!
    Now Wade I am gonna need to hear some of that Maestro Tone when ya get her all buttoned up.
    Ain't ya just lovin that little "bargain" geetar? ;)

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Hang around long enough Johnny I'll teach ya how to commit some real crimes :naughty::laugh2::wave:

Alex_SG and JohnnyGoo like this.
  12. Tobacco Worm

Oh boy, are you deliberately trying to force me out of retirement and chase you down and cuff ya! Behave yourself now and I won't tazer ya below the belt! Unless of course you like that sort of thing.:hmm: :laugh2:

shreddy bender likes this.
  13. Tobacco Worm

True to form, Bill never came to help me with this project. Sadly he's sometimes motivated with the "what's in it for me" attitude and so today (yesterday now I guess) I tackled it myself.

With the tremors of a stroke ridden hand and arm I managed to cut the opening for the pickup in the guard with some difficulty but it did fit. Then I got the 3way switch set, but it bumps up against the inside of the routing in the lower bout. Crap! Now I gotta route that out some and I can't hold power tools anymore. :ohno:

So in the meantime I figured I'll at least wire it up. Simple stuff. One vol pot. One tone pot. A 3way and two HB's. Easy peasy right? NOT! Has the most God awful hum I've ever heard besides a nerd holding a cable plugged into the amp's input with the amp in OD! It is horrible! And the more I tried to isolate the cause the madder I got. I can't get my hands to work right anymore and in a fit of total frustration I threw the whole thing against the wall!:wow::mad: I've never done that in my life until now. Something about knowing how to do things but not being ABLE to do them anymore simply got the best of my usual self control and I just lost it.....

To the Maestro's credit, when it hit the wall nothing broke on it. There's a big ding in the body, but that's it. Pretty stout beast even when an old man looses his temper and tosses it. In retrospect I shouldn't have changed a thing on it. Should have just left it alone and not even tried. I was deceiving myself in thinking that I can still do things that I used to when I was younger and still fit. I think it's time I quit messing with guitars and just sell them off and be done with them. I have to face the fact that I'm too crippled to deal with this stuff anymore and it's time to move on. Not feeling sorry for myself, but simply am facing the facts. If ya can't hold tools you got no business trying to use 'em....:dunno:

Now I gotta put a book case against the wall to cover the big hole in it too. Just not a good day for the old worm.:facepalm:

14. Rox

Rox Active Member

Oh, sorry to read of your frustrations. As someone who doesn't have those problems with his hands, I still make a huge mess of wiring! (I did some wiring last week and the whole guitar was dead!) I can imagine it's a nightmare.

Please don't get rid of your guitar - you will regret it. Whilst you say "If ya can't hold tools you got no business trying to use 'em...." I respectfully disagree... if that really were the case, many thousands of people tinkering with a hobby would have to stop. ;)

I hope others will be able to give you some practical advice.. all I can offer is a bit of moral support. :)

shreddy bender likes this.
  15. JohnnyGoo

Dont know really what to say here.maybe throw somethin other than ur guitar against the wall next time.im sure its flustrating not bein able to do the things you used to do with ease.hang in there Tobacco Worm

16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I think a large amp cabinet would look better than a bookcase Wade ;) I mean really who READS anymore.......wait what are you doing RIGHT now....crap I am reading.....you are reading......and they say the written word is dead!? Hmmmm.

Sorry lost my thought of train. Hang in there Worm, a wise man once said sometimes no action is in itself the right action.
    Now lets find that guy and get him to donate an amp cabinet to your hole in the wall cause. :) ;)

shreddy bender and JohnnyGoo like this.
  17. Tobacco Worm

I have always taken great pride in having total self control and always keeping my cool even in the worst situations. But knowing what to do and not being able to do it was just too much. I don't like being dependent on another to help me as I'm usually disappointed. Often I either have to wait for months and even longer, or am ignored all together. So when I need something done I've always simply done it myself. A case in point. I can no longer operate a pole saw but was told that I'll have help with that in no time with the aid of others and a power trimming saw. Later, when the branches were to the point of rubbing the shingles off the buildings and no help arrived, I took care of it myself with a shotgun. Yes, I went out and blew the limbs off with a pump shotgun. Crude but effective. Beat waiting for that power pole saw that never arrived and having the rain pour in the building with the shingles worn off....

So after some time passes I may attempt to finish this project. And then again maybe not. A lot depends on whether or not I apply the use of my shotgun. Now there's a relic system I bet no one's tried. :naughty:

18. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Wade . you are doing fine!. Man, did you read my problems with building a new neck for Mabel?
    If you got pickups and a husk I know you will make MAGIC happen!
    You are an electronics whizz as far as I've learned in these last few years and yes, shoot a computer, amp or cell phone but DON'T shoot a poor helpless guitar!
    You're also allowed to shoot scorpions, mule deer and other miscellanious crittrers.
    Now happy hunting to you Bro!

19. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Wade, any reason for reversing the neck pickup and having the polepieces nearer the bridge?

20. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Nice, Tree Trimming a la Smith & Wesson.....I think thats a country Christmas Song if memory serves..... Or could be a good name for a Psycho-billy Christmas album ;)

I must ---yes I must-- at this juncture in the conversation point out.....The Maestro bit a friggin HOLE in the wall, yet its CHEAP. CRAPPY,Low Dollar bolt on --shunned by corksniffers headstock, is....................wait for it...........still ............in one piece!!!!!

Yes many here (myself included) have suffered the dreaded headstock break on a Gibby....from no where near as much of a jolt.

Again I say KUDOS to the Maestro!

Yes I know please refer all hate mail to eS.G. at "Juststirringthepot.com" Now feel free to argue among yourselves :)