Unsung G400 from 2000 good starting point for a project?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Franc, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Franc

Franc New Member

Hi all,

Haven't posted here much as I wasn't really into SGs for a while, but after I rediscovered my 3 pickup Custom and acquired a "Limited Edition" black one with Vibrola recently, I got back on track (or should I say: back on the highway to hell :rofl:)

Then I started drooling over an all gold (all be it Gibson) SG I saw on somewhere on the Les Paul Forum and convinced myself I need one :fingersx:

As these aren't easy to come by from Epiphone, I decided to try and find a donor G400 and paint it gold myself, thinking this would take me a while (certainly not wanting to buy during the Holiday season)...
    But of course, within 2 days, I found the perfect(?) donor: an Unsung cherry G400 from 2000 with some damage to the back.
    It has the "Gibson" trussrod cover like my Custom and to my understanding, these Unsung Epiphones are supposed to be of the better quality.

What do you all think? Is this a good starting point for a nice refin in Gold?
    I added a picture of the image I am drooling over, although the sideways Vibrola is probably out of reach.

Attached Files:

Biddlin likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You got yourself a Korean G400. It probably doesn't have any veneer, top or bottom. Those are nice yes.

Will you recarve deeper bevels on it ? If I was to repaint a G400 with a solid color, that is one thing I would do. I only hope you won't paint faux binding on the neck :facepalm:

3. Franc

Franc New Member

I was indeed considering carving deeper bevels, if I can find a good technique to do it.
    Won't paint faux binding, no. I would have liked binding on the neck, but that's almost impossible to find on the older ones (except the Customs)....

DrBGood likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  5. Franc

Franc New Member

Just want to be sure to keep the planes flat and edges sharp so it won't look like some home-built disaster.
    I haven't got it yet, btw. Deal has been sealed at 165 euros but I have to find the time to go pick it up :ohno:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    DrBGood likes this.
  6. vancouverois

vancouverois Member

You may want to consider a drill sanding drum for the bevels.
    Though the Epi body is a bit thicker than a Gibson SG body.

7. Franc

Franc New Member

Picked it up this morning! Some minor issues but overall a beauty and nice guitar to play.
    I have to be careful not to get second thoughts about making it Gold.