Upcoming NGD!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gahr, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Earlier today I sold my Gibson Les Paul Junior. The reason? Well, I found a store here selling a new 2018 Gibson SG Standard with a repaired headstock at a 65 % discount. The headstock had broken off during shipping to the store, but they repaired it and were selling it at a very fair price. The break is visible, but the job is nicely done and it is stable. And I can return it if I'm not happy. I have bought two guitars from the same store earlier, and the service has always been great, so they have my trust. I'll probably get the guitar sometime next week.

This will be the first time I have a guitar with locking tuners, and the 61R and 61T pickups are also a first for me. Naturally, I am pretty excited. And the best thing is that I broke even.

Here are some of the pics from the store:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

58pit, bwotw, musicman2242 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ray

Ray Active Member

Cool! Congrats with a new stellar axe, man! (That repair looks very good ++ IMO.)

The Grovers work like a charm on mine, and the 61s sounds pretty damn good, too IMO.

(Edit: that LP Jr of yours looked extremely nice, though, just gotta mention hat. But compared to a 2018 SG Standard ... you know what I think of these 2018 Standards. :))

3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Thanks! Did you have a 2018?

Evenstad Musikk in Grimstad, btw. They have some pretty decent deals every now and then.

Ray likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray Active Member

Oh yes! Lite jeg har. ;)

Gahr likes this.
  5. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Fett!

Ray likes this.
  6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Talking about SGs: Mr. Derek Trucks and the Tedeschi Trucks Band will be playing at Sentrum Scene in Oslo on April 10. this year. I already have my ticket. A great opportunity to see a true SG master in action!

Ray likes this.
  7. jjudas

jjudas Well-Known Member

Congrats on a beautiful SG!

Gahr likes this.
  8. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Thanks! Anybody else here with any experience regarding the 61R and 61T pickups?

9. jjudas

jjudas Well-Known Member

Not I. I'm curious to hear your review.

Gahr likes this.
  10. Ray

Ray Active Member

Yeah, thats gonna rock! Should most def get me tickets!

Gahr likes this.
  11. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congrats! Early Happy NGD to ya! :smile:

No complaints from me on the '61s. Sort of between the 57s and 490/498s (like a hot set of 57s, lol). It's nice to change things up once in awhile.

Ray and Gahr like this.
  12. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Thanks. Looking forward to checking out the pickups. The guitar will probably become my new designated open E slide guitar. I have a set of OX4 pups I can put in it if need be, but that probably means I'll have to swap out the PCB for an old school wiring harness. Something I just might do for the hell of it at some point anyway...

Ray and arcticsg like this.
  13. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I just picked the guitar up from the post office. I have to say I'm pretty impressed! The headstock repair is done really well. Otherwise there's not a blemish to be found anywhere on the guitar. The frets are great, fret ends are smooth as velvet. It plays like butter; the setup done by the shop was really good. It's too late to plug it in at the moment (kids going to bed), but I can hardly wait to check out the Burstbucker 61s tomorrow. It deserves reflector knobs (and knob pointers!)and a wide bevel pickguard, but those are details. Seems like a great guitar, this! One of the pest purchases I've ever made, I think. It's a bit too dark for any good pictures, but here are a couple anyway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Man that is beautiful... I can smell that "new" Gibson smell from here! :smile:

Dang, I want another new SG :D

Gahr likes this.
  15. Ray

Ray Active Member

Wow, looks great!:D Dont think the 61's will disappoint you.:D

Gahr likes this.
  16. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward to trying them! They will definitely stay in there a while. I have a set of OX4 Hot Duanes that I might put in there, but that means I’ll have to change the wiring harness first. But we’ll see. It won’t happen too soon.

17. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

CONGRATS! There is PLENTY of surface area on the crack from what Im looking at, the repair should work GREAT!

Gahr likes this.
  18. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Awright, 60% off !" That's the kind of deal I would have gone for. That headstock is now sturdier than ever.

Gahr likes this.
  19. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I think the '61's are the best pickup for SG's in the current lineup. Something about them really compliments the tone of an SG.
    And if you ever decide to, that break is repaired so well that a luthier could blend the lacquer and you'd never know it was ever there.

Gahr likes this.
  20. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I'm really impressed with the repair work. I don't think I'll have any more work done to it, though. It is almost invisible, unless you look at it closely in the right light, so I'm not going to spend any money on making it look even better (if i should ever consider selling the guitar again, I don't think it would be worth the extra expense either).

I've never played a guitar with 61s before. My first thoughts when I heard of them were, quite naturally, that they were meant to recreate the sounds of the late era PAFs (short A5 magnets, about 7.5 kΩ). I don't know whether this be the case or not, though. I measured them to be roughly 7.9 kΩ and 8.1 kΩ, neck and bridge respectively, but the readings don't really say much about how they actually sound.