Upgraded 2018 SG Standard.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by KelvinS1965, Dec 1, 2019.

1. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

jbat likes this.
  2. jbat

jbat New Member

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Member

I guess you could modify the PCB, but the pots on mine felt like they weren't connected, really flimsy feeling. The standard CTS pots have a nicer feel to them; I know it's a small thing, but they don't cost much (like £5 each if that) and the 0.015uF cap on the neck tone pot gives a smoother control instead of just cutting it off like a switch.

It was only that I opted for the more expensive Gibson branded pots otherwise the re-wire would have been under £30 in parts (I had the braided wire already, but even that only adds another £5 or so).

For UK readers I've bought most of these parts from Axecaster (Gibson branded pots were from DV247).

I re-strung the SG today ready for a gig tomorrow, but I used Gibson Brite wires in 10 gauge: I took off a set of Ernie Ball 10s, but the Gibson strings seem 'tighter' for want of a better term: Like the guitar is 'stiff', so I'm swapping back to EBs in the morning...I stretch them well, so they soon settle into tune. Odd how a different brand feels so different.

4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

No, I bought the SG new, Gibson support sent me a titanium nut but the TUSQXL nut is better and is only 12 €

5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

But yes, your 2015 Gibson SG Standard came with a stock BRASS nut, not the stock titanium nut you previously stated.

And I don't know about the replacement TUSQXL nut being any better. Maybe for your purposes, but if you had kept the GForce tuning system installed, that TUSQXL nut would wear faster than the brass nut that it originally came with.

6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Stock brass, Stock titanium and TUSQXL

SG Standard TBK 140.jpg