USA Big Muff vs. Russian Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects' started by educorgan, Jan 4, 2005.

1. educorgan

educorgan Member

Is there any difference between the american and the russian big muff? Is the sound different? I really want to get a Big Muff but i can't decide which one should i buy..

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

They're really pretty close, but the american one is smoother - better made too - having had both.

3. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I had the original MUFF. The one that was battery only and no AC connector. Sold it 7 years back.
    Compared to to Russian I have now...The old vintage one killed.
    There is no comparison! IMHO
    The new MUFF sounds more like a Hendrix Fuzz pedal whereas the vintage one really juiced the sound into clear squeel. New one is more muffled.

There will be a huge difference between the older USA pedals as the components used were not the same tolerances. There may be US ones out there that are as sad as the new Russian ones.

4. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

I'll take a good old American "Muff" over a Foreign "Muff" any day ! :twisted: :lol:

5. dcooper

dcooper Member

I some times run a vox clyde wha into a tube driver into a russian big muff, into a boss delay sounds pretty cool. Plus I like the hand made plywood box the russian one came in.

6. educorgan

educorgan Member

Does the american muff have A/C jack? And does it include the D/C adapter? I've been reading some reviews and it seems like the russian muff doesn't have the A/C jack and runs only by battery.

7. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

The original Triangle knob Muff sounds the best to my ears. And the lambs head second issue is right behind it, taking into consideration parts float!
    If you can find/afford one I'd suggest going for it. You won't be disappointed......... The newer issues don't sound as good.

8. educorgan

educorgan Member

I've just bought an American Big Muff and it sounds pretty cool except for one thing. When palm muting, it has a weird sound.. Has anyone experienced it? What should I do to avoid this? (If it is possible)

9. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Er, Get an old one?.... :? :(