Using a Looper Pedal for Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Worblehat, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

I have been thinking about getting a looper pedal for practice purposes for a while now. I liked the EHX 360 Nano Looper for its simplicity. But then another use for a looper pedal came to my mind: Recording.

Let me explain...
    I am a beginner and from time to time I like to record songs I've been learning. It's quite a motivation for me and also a good way to be self-critical and find things to improve. My setup for recording looks like this:
    Amp -> Focusrite Audio Interface -> Notebook. In addition I need to connect a monitor or headphones to the interface to hear what I play and of course setup the DAW on my Notebook.

As I don't have enough space to keep this configuration on my desk all the time I need to set it up everyt ime. This and the resulting cable spaghetti is annoying and holds me back from recording more often or spontaneously during a practice session.

So my idea is:
    Why not buy a looper pedal with multiple recording slots, lots of memory, an USB connector (I have the Boss RC-3 in mind). I could keep it in my signal chain all the time and activate it any time I want to record something without any additional setup.
    Then I could connect the amp to the audio interface and notebook later, replay the loop and record it in the DAW. I also can tweak the amp settings at this point (as the looper is in front of the amp) and don't have to think about it too much when playing.

Recording often or even always when practicing might also help with the "red light syndrome" I suffer from.

What do you think of it? Is a looper like the Boss RC-3 the right tool for this?
    Are there any other pedal like devices that are intended to be used as on-the-fly recording tools?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Just about all recording software will let you create loops during tracking. That is probably a better way to do this, as you don't have to try to manipulate a looper pedal while playing other stuff.

3. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

My goal is not to create loops, but to record stuff without any software and audio interface any time on the fly.

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Then a looper would appear to be your best option.

5. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

This is your best bet for what you want; Digitech Trio+ Band Creator plus Looper. All you need in a box. Used a SD Card for storage. Just plug in your guitar to the pedal and the pedal to the amp, and let the fun begin. Although you could use the provided additional out puts to separate the bass and drums from the guitar when recording or during play back. An effect loop is also available. I like it a lot. Man is a band in a stump box. Great practice and creative tool. Fairly easy to use with a small learning curve.
    E2609F93-CDE3-4D87-BE52-DEDEE4ADE03D.jpeg

Layne Matz likes this.
  6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

7. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Let me get this straight. So you plug rught into that pedal, from the pedal to the amp, put an sd card in and it will record what you are playing through the amp to the sd card?

8. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

Thank you all for the suggestions!
    Yes this one looks great. But a bit more money than I want to spent. I looked into the Digitech JamMan Solo XT which can do everything I need. But I still prefer the more expensive Boss RC-3 for one reason: Digitech requires software to transfer tracks from the pedal to the PC. Boss does it the right way: The pedal plugs in as external storage device and you can just drag-and-drop the files. No need to be dependant on some proprietary software.

100% agreed. I like simplicity and therefore preferred the Dito or the EXH 360 Nano Looper first. But as I want more than the pure looping functionality now (extensive recording and transfer of tracks to PC) I may need to step up a bit.

9. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

It will record the amp as long as it is on the amps FX loop.

Layne Matz likes this.