Valeton FP-10 FET Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects' started by plankton, Aug 22, 2019.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

A bit of back story, I have read for years about the EP boost pedal and how it adds some warmth and sparkle to your tone and that many people run it as an "always on" pedal with the boost turned down. I have been building a few pedals and I thought I'd give this one a go. Unfortunately I didn't like it, I found it way too dark and no sparkle at all.

I was reading some forum posts from people who shared my opinion of the pedal, and a few mentioned this Valeton pedal and how it did everything they thought the EP boost was meant to do. So for $55 on Ebay I figured I'd try one out.

It's one of their Loft series of pedals, which are all little copies of Boss pedals, even the enclosures are tiny clones of their classic stompboxes. This one is a copy of their discontinued FA-1 FET Amplifier, which actually wasn't a pedal, more of a thing you attached to the guitar strap. All of the Loft series get really good reviews.

I have been using this little green box for a week, including at a band practice, and I'm very happy. I wanted something to use with my band practice rig, right at the end of my chain before going into the Boss Nextone, to give my tone a bit more warmth and sparkle and this thing delivers. It has the added benefit of more versatility than a single knob boost with bass and treble knobs plus a low cut switch. Just running it at unity with the EQ knobs and the switch set flat it gives some great liveliness to my tone, exactly what I was after.

If you're looking for a great versatile little boost that will also work well as an always on tone sweetener, I would suggest you try one of these.

http://www.valeton.net/html/en/index.php?ac=article&at=read&did=52

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Useful pedal. And the great thing is that once your signal has made it through this, you can have as long a cable as you like from there to the amp without any impact on tone.

3. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I know a whole bunch of people who bought the EP boost
    and then sold it because it did not live up to expectations.
    This seems to be a much better option.

4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Wow!
    These people make a whole bunch of interesting stuff.

WWW.Valeton.net

Edit:
    ...and yes, they sell them on Amazon.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  5. plankton

Yes, I really like having a buffered boost at the end of my chain. I use a DOD Bifet Boost on a different board, it's another great pedal.

6. plankton

Yeah, what it does didn't seem to match what is said in most of the reviews. Not a total loss though, I'm going to play around with the circuit and try to learn more about how they work, and try to turn this into something I can use.

Apparently, Clinch FX here in Australia make a really excellent EP boost of their own which delivers on the promise, it was more than I was looking to spend on this pedal though.