Value for 1962 sg lp junior with pro repaired headstock break?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by fernieite, Sep 26, 2018.

1. fernieite

fernieite New Member

Hi guys,
    Old lurker, and new member here.

I'm going to be looking at a 1962 SG les paul junior guitar that has had a pro repaired headstock break. It has no other issues that I am aware off.
    Everything is original and in very good shape and it has the original case. Is $2400 US way off for a (I'm told) close to invisible pro repaired guitar? This one has the earlier wraparound bridge - no lightning / zig zag bar. Faded cherry.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Six Stringed Demon

Six Stringed Demon Active Member

Check Reverb.com pricing section. What condition is the finish in? Any “patina” rust or stripped holes? Can you check the wiring to verify and date the pots and pickups? What condition is the case in? Do you have pics? Is the neck worn? What shape are the frets on? Original nut? If the tuners are original how damaged are they?

As you can see, there are way more variables I go through to buy to flip.

End of the day.... are YOU comfortable dropping 2400 on one? And that’s a low end price.

3. fernieite

fernieite New Member

Hi. I'll try to answer your questions as far as I know:

I had already checked reverb's price guide and yes, this is the low end for these guitars.
    I haven't seen the guitar yet, but I was told that, as I said above, it's all original. The finish is supposedly in great shape, but is faded. I actually kind of like that look.

There are no stripped holes, the wiring is original, the case is in good condition, the neck is not worn, the frets are not in need of a re-fret, the nut is original and the tuners work fine. The guitar is setup and plays and sounds great according to the seller.

The only issue is the headstock break that has been pro repaired and is stable and well done, according to the seller - This is what lead me to reach out to this forum to ask opinions. Is this still a fair price? Would most pass on a headstock repair? Btw, I'm not considering flipping the guitar as you seem to have implied.

I've simply been wanting one of these guitars for quite a few years and now I have the opportunity. I'll contact the seller to see if he has any pics...

4. Six Stringed Demon

Six Stringed Demon Active Member

I’ve bought guitars I’ve wanted with repaired breaks and bought guitars that were broken. The break doesn’t impact the playability if it was repaired correctly. When you get into the vintage market, a repair to save a few grand off a pristine instrument is the route I go. Plus once you see it, you can negotiate for a lower price. If you are comfortable buying for 2400, don’t go any higher.
    Personally I’d go with 3 separate piles of cash.
    1-$2000
    2-$400
    3-$500

Or however you want to work it, but you have your lowball “this is all I can do” wad, your “my wife is gonna kill me” wad and your “I love it and I want it” wad. Try to stick to the first wad or lower lol!

fernieite likes this.
  5. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

Not way outta line, that's a 4000.00 guitar in mint condition so go from there. Definitely go meet it, it could be the one. Oh yeah, i have a broken, repaired, modded, refinned one of those and it is KILLER.

6. fernieite

fernieite New Member

Thanks man. Yeah, I do want to see it. However, the guy hasn't replied to my last email - which requested a day and time this week, and whether I should bring a black light or if he had one there...
    Maybe I scared him...:rolleyes:

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Without pictures it seems like a decent price.

If the guitar feel right I don’t care if it has wood screws and duct tape holding the headstock on.

fernieite likes this.
  8. fernieite

fernieite New Member

:D

9. fernieite

fernieite New Member

Well. I went and saw the guitar yesterday. The repair was horrible!!! The cracks are very visible on the back of the neck and on the front of the headstock, and a veneer was added to the back of the headstock (again completely visible!) and the serial number is gone, as a result. What a disappointment. [​IMG]

The rest of the guitar was quite nice though. I think he'd be lucking to get 1/2 the price he's asking!

So, my search continues...

10. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

Ah well, you'll find one out there ( they made a bunch). I got mine for $390.00!
    In 1989:thumb:

fernieite likes this.