Vibrato

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Karathas, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

Been working on my vibrato alot lately..Was wondering how many other people like using Vibrato, and what approach do they take to it..

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I'm guessing we pretty much all do, apart from big chords. I don't know if everyone does this, but I sometimes put vibrato on just one note in a chord. There are vibratos I don't like - Carlos Santana had a particularly irritating one - he dragged the note way sharp while he was doing it. Paul Kossoff was probably the most accomplished, and Mark Knopfler the most subtle.

67plexi likes this.
  3. Karathas

For a long time i was moving the string up and down with my finger...but lately..i have been keeping my finger motionless and wobbling my wrist instead. It wasnt intentional...I just started doing it that way. That got me thinking about it.

lineboat likes this.
  4. donepearce

That's the classical guitar way. It works best if you have tall frets - won't work on a '60s Les Paul custom.

5. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

Here's a master of vibrato with a lesson.

jtcnj likes this.
  6. donepearce

No, he's another one who pulls the note sharp

7. Kerry Brown

It's the blues :) He admits he does that but it's the sound he wants. At one point he over exaggerates it bending almost a tone sharp so you can see what he's doing.

Relic61 and Karathas like this.
  8. Karathas

I watched that video before..have to say its very inspiring to watch how he does it...a master...and just the way he can flutter

9. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

You can't use finger vibrato without going sharp to some varying degree on a guitar that is in tune (without using a whammy/tremolo/vibrato system of some sort). Unless you get creative & bend the neck or shake the guitar, but then it wouldn't be finger vibrato.

Most SG's are real responsive to neck movements. One of my favorite moves that always makes my mates grin is to hit an appropriate open string, or two or three, & shake the headstock back n forth while holding onto the SG body horns! Even cooler if you can hit some open string harmonics & shake it. Just something about that visual & resulting sound.

On most SG's with thin necks you can even get some vibrato by wiggling the neck forward & back with your left hand while holding chords & or notes.

Then of course there is the Tremolo Vibrato, something the old Maestro Vibrola / Lyre Vibrolas were real good at. But that's cheat'n right? But, when you do have a Vibrato Trem you can & often will play differently if you have a good one that stays in tune & honestly, it's just fun to dig into a note with the Vibrato bar as things can get quite expressive & able to go beyond the simple finger vibrato.

Helpful hints for finger Vibrato....

Clean frets are great & polished frets are even better!
    Good strings free of rust & buildup are very useful in getting the string to glide & slide effortlessly across the top of the fret.
    Applications like Fret-Ease make it all that much easier still & help to slow fret wear a little bit to.
    Another nicety is using fretboard conditioner when you change your strings like Dunlops Fretboard Deep Conditioner. Great for Rosewood boards & this allows for less friction on the boards surface making it all come together for an effortless vibrato!

FYI: if you're wiggling your unwound strings & feeling a grinding sensation STOP & change those strings! You are grinding your frets down faster than necessary & thats gonna suck faster than necessary.

Last tip, Listen to some masters & try to imitate them best you can. I would start with two of the best & well known for their finger vibrato, Angus Young & as Donepearce mentioned Paul Kossoff.

The better you get at finger Vibrato, the faster you will have smack to say about Gibson's Nib technique on their 1990 & up guitars! LOL C'mon mate, join up with the He Man Nib haters club & help get our Finger Vibrato playin / high E pull off using voices heard so Gibson stops making cheap Nib bound guitars that are useless to us player types!

Until the day Gibson goes Nib-less, I shall hereby refer to them in protest as ... Nibson!
    Rock on with your bad vibrato playin self!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  10. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I use both all the time. Lot more finger shakes for faster stuff, especially with first finger. But I have better feel and control with the wrist.
    Much more wrist with third finger and always wrist for adding on a bend.

11. Kerry Brown

I've been thinking about this. How would it be possible to have a vibrato that did note make a note sharp or flat a little bit. If the frequency doesn't change how would you hear anything?

jtcnj likes this.
  12. donepearce

That wasn't what I mean. I mean that his vibrato moves the note between sharp and very sharp - he doesn't return it to true pitch in between. For me that spoils the sound - it just sounds out of tune.

Kerry Brown likes this.
  13. Kerry Brown

Thanks. That makes sense. I know if you vibrate front to back rather than up and down it does make a different sounding vibrato. When I'm playing the blues I do a lot of 1/4 and 1/2 tone bends, sometimes two strings at a time, each one with a slightly different amount of bend. It drives some of the people I play with crazy but to my ears it sounds right for the blues :)

14. Relic61

Kerry I think its a matter of your ears being used to & liking microtonal notes. If you are around this type of playing these notes sound 'right' & have their place. If you are used to traditional music that stays 'in the box' these microtonal notes are just going to sound wrong or as Donepearce puts it 'sharp'. Although they may actually be sharp, they are actually sharp on purpose. Sometimes they are even actually 'flat' on purpose!.. like the pulled note that never makes it to pitch.

Dats da blues baby. Whatchu know 'bout play'n the blues white boy!??

It's all expression & conveyed emotion. Well it should be once you're good enough on guitar. Some players never 'get it' & lack that feel & expression. They are usually the soulless types ya know! They can play the guitar but they just lack Soul. You on the other hand Kerry sound like you get it &, got it, if ya know what I mean.

Hey, can atheists play with soul? & Are they automatically eliminated from playing guitar in a soul band?

jtcnj, Kerry Brown and Bullfrog like this.
  15. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Leslie West is well known for his golden vibrato. I've read more than once in interviews where he said the hand movement is the same as masturbating.

That should make me an expert at vibrato! :cool:

But after 30+ years of playing with it (guitar that is), I'm still not fully satisfied with my vibrato.
    :D

16. Kerry Brown

LOL I can hear the notes in my head. Playing them is mostly a different issue. I like to think I hear the blues but I'm a beginner at playing them. I have a friend who is an amazing blues player, way better than me. He's taught me a lot. He is one who mostly stays in the box, but what a box! For me it's about individuality and finding your style. Whatever works for you is what you should play.

lineboat and Relic61 like this.
  17. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I thought about this a minute, and am just dumbstruck.
    Seriously.
    Once you get past the giggles of this, his description - even to a non player - is so spot on it is brilliant.

Not so seriously:
    does practice of one improve skill in the other?
    Possibly:
    I seemed to have learned and improved on the wrist vibrato pretty easily.

Not Kidding:
    I really enjoy it!
    Most of the licks i have learned so far, with a big interest in blues / blues based rock are EC, SRV and BB.

Bullfrog likes this.
  18. Relic61

Yes but when you play guitar with your other hand does it fell & sound like somebody else?? LOL:facepalm:

syscokid, SG standard and Bullfrog like this.
  19. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

20. Karathas

Only on Family Guy