Vintage 1979 Gibson “The SG” Walnut Solidbody For Sale - Near Mint Condition

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Track, Oct 9, 2019.

Tags:
?

What is your favorite Gibson SG model?

1. The SG

6.7%
  2. Standard

66.7%
  3. Firebrand

6.7%
  4. Custom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Faded Special

20.0%
  6. Supreme

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Menace

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Gothic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. SG-R1 renamed the "SG Artist"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Robot SG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Track

Track New Member

Vintage 1979 Gibson “The SG” Walnut Solidbody Electric Near "MINT" Condition . The Original Molded Hard Shell Case is Included. Condition is Used. Shipped with USPS Priority Mail.

I am the original owner and purchased this guitar on October 18,1979. "The SG” was built at the Gibson Nashville plant and dates to August 17th, 1979, and was the 69th guitar stamped that day. Serial No. 72299669

I can count on my hands and feet how many times this guitar has been played in the 40 years that I've owned it. It has remained pristinely in its original (and included) chainsaw case. Two of the latches on the case are solidly intact and support the guitar and case perfectly well, but one latch has broken off.

The guitar is in excellent to mint condition, and nothing has been modified. It plays and sounds great!

Appearing only in 1979, the Gibson “The SG” was built much like an SG Standard, but using Walnut in place of Mahogany. In 1980 it was relaunched as the SG Firebrand. The primary difference between this model and the Firebrand is the way the Gibson logo was applied. Here, it is a gold-colored decal, and on the Firebrand, it is branded into the headstock.

Walnut was regularly used as a tonewood in stringed instruments until the 1930s, and was very commonly found in banjos. The availability of laminates for low cost instruments seems to have displaced it, and higher end models focused on Mahogany, Rosewood and Maple. Recently, Walnut is being found on more and more quality instruments. It is a resonant wood with a warm tone, and an attractive grain structure.

Gibson has always been experimenting with alternative materials, and for 1979 offered ‘The SG’, essentially an SG Standard with Walnut for the body and neck and Ebony for the fingerboard. Typical of the period, the body and neck are both three-piece construction, and the neck has the characteristic late-70’s volute to strengthen the headstock. The gloss lacquer finish was light, showing off the Walnut grain. For hardware, Grover Roto-Matic tuners with metal Keystone buttons are installed, there’s a standard ABR bridge and stop tailpiece, and the pickups are stock coverless T-tops (there’s a T on the top of each coil). The bridge pickup has one creme and one black coil, as standard.

Attached Files:

PixMix likes this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

You all know how I voted... :D

Didds likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Favorite Gibson SG model = SG Classic

4. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

SGJ

SG3

5. scribblesomething

scribblesomething New Member

I have a shiny SG Special I’m quite fond of. I know it’s not the most popular opinion but I don’t love neck binding.

@Track can you pm me the Reverb listing?

6. fos1

fos1 Active Member

SG Standard - Cherry Red - :)

arcticsg likes this.
  7. davesultra

davesultra New Member

I love my '01 SG (non faded) Special.