Vintage SG hardware material

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by jaymz77, Aug 7, 2017.

1. jaymz77

jaymz77 New Member

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows what original material was used for hardware? Zinc?
    I struggle to find any evidence that aluminium stop bars were used on SGs. I'm guessing it was all zinc.
    I'm looking to replace my hardware (chrome to nickel) and I want to get parts that are at least made of the original material. I'm not looking for any "improvements" that newer or different materials might offer, I just want what was used back in the day, specifically 70-71.

Cheers

2. flognoth

flognoth Member

I believe it was Zinc or "pot metal".

One strategy you may want to consider is scouring Reverb and eBay for original nickel plated versions of the chrome hardware you already have. Then you're just swapping out like for like- just nickel.

I don't know if that's an option for what you're doing.

3. jaymz77

jaymz77 New Member

Yeah that would be fine.
    This has come about due to some new pickups mainly. I ordered a set of Solodallas Solo70's. when I ordered I asked for chrome covers to match my hardware. Much to my annoyance I received nickel. I waited 4-5 weeks for the pups so I'm reluctant to send them back at further cost and downtime. I actually prefer nickel, chrome looks cheap to me. So rather than send the pups back (or have chrome covers sent to me to change myself requiring me to take to a very expensive set of pups with a knife and solving iron) I decided to change the hardware. The only issue is the chrome lyre tail piece (Derek Trucks SG). But I'm told I can have it de chromed easy enough.
    Aside from these dramas, the Solo70's sound damn good. Late 70's Angus in spades.
    So I just want "Standard" hardware in nickel, whatever "standard" was in 1970.

Cheers