Vitamin D

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Jan 19, 2020.

?

Has your Doc told you to take vitamin D supplements?

1. Yes and I take them

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Yes but I haven't complied

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No, but I take them as a precaution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't have a doctor

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. I don't believe in taking medicine.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Why is it so low? Yup, Everyone's. What's up with that?

ventura likes this.
  2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

What's up with that is the processing of what we eat probably causes us to matriculate, your word , not mine, Vitamin D out of our shitstem, that's the Jamacian word, not mine either! hysterical.gif I've come to that conclusion since never in my life have Dr's prescribed it before except relatively recently! It helps absorb calcium which/and keeps our older bones from becoming "Brittle" and easy to break, but, I ain't no doc, as we all know, so best to search the web or ask at the office. The dose for my age is 50,000 MG (?) in a jell cap once a week. I always thought just going in the sun takes care of that, I mean for cripes sake I now live in Florida! As they genetically manipulate the DNA our food, for profit, other health problems arise. And I just ain't at the age or ready to have to graze with the Egrets on my front lawn every morning! Everybody seems to have a fatty liver as they age too and when I ask the Doc she said " everybody gets/has a fatty liver because of what they do to the food we eat!" Germany has a PURITY law the is enforced within it's borders. Read the book " Wheat Belly " … I thought eating wheat bread was healthy! There's more, but time to saw wood , aka, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ventura likes this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I haven't seen my doctor for many years, and he has never recommended any kind of supplement. I don't eat carbs, so I am pretty much free from visceral fat. The fat I do have has by now all become brown fat, whose job is to create heat. And of course I don't have peaks and dips of energy (caused by the insulin flood you need to rid the blood stream of the posionous sugars derived from carbs).

Layne Matz, Voxman and ventura like this.
  4. ventura

ventura Active Member

I think use of sunscreen adds to low D too. I’ve used lots of sunscreen over the years.

However, low vit D, which could conceivably be compounded by using sunscreen, is itself a risk factor for cancer.

I have so far avoided skin cancer but wasn’t so lucky to avoid a hepitobiliary cancer. I have a sneaking suspicion that overuse of chemical laden sunscreen may have not actually been in the best interest of my health.

Rock out while you can:dude:, you ain’t gonna live forever.

Voxman likes this.
  5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

You know what? I had also read that and forgot about that, the sunscreens! I've never used any and I've been outside all day every summer since I can remember. I just turn golden brown and so far haven't had any skin issues … so far. knock knock

As far as carbs, I always kept carbs down to my energy requirements for each day. Just enough to keep me from going into ketosis. Along with that I'd only eat foods with a low Glycemic Index so I did not spike my insulin level. If it does spike it seems to cause false hunger. As a kid I was lucky to find a therapeutic nutrition book at a masters level around the house and was intrigued! Mom was an RN w/ a masters, that's how I found my way to it. Now, at this age, I like my beers! And guitars and amps and ………..

ventura likes this.
  6. ventura

ventura Active Member

I was in the military, was a surfer, and worked in construction. Used a LOT of sunscreen over the years. Not anymore.

7. donepearce

You don't need any carbs for energy. Your pancreas will always react to carbs by spiking your insulin level to dispose of them as quickly as possible, which in time will cause your body's response to insulin to dull. That is why we have so much type II diabetes. Ketosis is a good thing. Your liver makes all the glucose your brain needs.

Layne Matz and ventura like this.
  8. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Member

I live in Maine. They should just put vitamin D in the water supply here. It's a loooong dark winter...

ventura likes this.
  9. donepearce

How can that be? You are at the same latitude as Italy! That's where we go for winter sun. You are the closest point in the USA to Africa. I think you are kidding us - you're out on your veranda right now with a mint julep and a fan...

10. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Member

Busted. I AM on my veranda with a mint julep and a fan. Have to take advantage of these warm 22 degree (Fahrenheit) afternoons.

Voxman and donepearce like this.
  11. ventura

ventura Active Member

:rofl:

12. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Probably the youngest dude here who takes vitamin D. I have Ulcerative Colitus (in the same vein as Crohn's disease) and while I'm in remission, I apparently have constantly low vitamin D so I take it once a week when I remember.

Also, I used to have anemia. UC is fun.

Biddlin and Layne Matz like this.
  13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I take 50,000 iu weekly. It's the high point of my Wednesday. As you age, the vitamin and mineral absorption is likely to be further stunted by the UC, so stay on top of that. As someone who is spending way too much time in clinics and labs lately, I'm a big fan of prevention over remediation.

14. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Member

15. John J

John J Active Member

Funny as how you get older things change. Five years ago I hadn't seen a doctor in 12 years. A little over 3 years ago I had a heart attack' Now I have 5 doctors that I see every 6 months. Yes, one of the pills I have to take is vitamin D. As it turns out as we get old our bones need way more vitamin D than when we were young.
    As it turns out life changes a lot if you are lucky enough to survive. Considering where I was 3 years ago, I'm doing great