Volume control wiring

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by RazorReaver, Feb 17, 2020.

1. RazorReaver

RazorReaver New Member

So I'm sure most of you are aware of the different workings of both dependent and independent volume pots. For those who aren't, here is an article that might be useful:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21106-mod-garage-decouple-your-les-pauls-volume-controls

My specific question pertaining to this topic is, has anyone wired only ONE of their volume pots to be dependent? If you are out there, I would like to hear of your results.

I am aware of the theories, the whys, the why bothers.

Part of this comes from not wanting to pop my control plate, to be honest. I have wired and rewired my guitar enough times, over the last couple of months, to warrant an intervention by a guitar rights society. Though it also comes from genuine curiosity as to wether this was adopted by anyone.

What say you, mad tinkerers?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The method described here is how I have wired my SG. I did it when I reversed the phase of one of the pickups to achieve the thin Peter Green tone. With independent volume controls I can dial in exactly the amount of that effect I want. With conventional wiring you are stuck with whatever you achieved by adjusting the pickup heights.

3. RazorReaver

RazorReaver New Member

Thank you for your answer. Just to clarify, I was asking about wiring only one of the pots that way, effectively leaving one dependent and the other independent. I'm unsure that's what you did?

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

I wired pickup hot to the centre pot contact on both pots. Both pot top contacts went to the selector switch.