Wah pedal muddying tone

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Daniel.S, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Hey guys got an old BB535 wah pedal the other day and just tried it out.
    I've noticed that it makes my amp lose its 'edge' and fullness.
    Anyway to bring back the amps tone?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I would suggest maybe a buffer, but I see a couple Boss pedals next to the wah. Are they after it in the chain or on another loop?

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Connect guitar to Wah Pedal and Amp without any other devices in the chain to verify if the Wah Pedal is the problem or not.

Wah Pedals generally work best when at the beginning of a chain of pedals and not in the FX Loop. They boost treble frequencies and attenuate lows when cocked wide open.

Biddlin, Chubbles and deMelo like this.
  4. Daniel.S

Sorry for the lack of info guys I've been sick for the last week....
    The wah is in front of the amp with the tuner just after it going into my guitar.
    The other two pedals are in the effects loop.
    I've been doing some reading today and purchased a Boss PSM-5 to create another effects loop in front of the amp. (from what I've read)
    I've been inspired by Adam Jones from Tool to expand my music. Slowly been buying pedals similar to his. He has two PSM-5's in front of his amp, one for the delay, flanger and EQ and another one for the Wah, Volume pedal and MXR micro amp. Although I don't think I want the Volume pedal or MXR so that's not a problem.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation!

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

An FX Loop is usually an INSERT point for effects between the preamp and power amp section of a head or combo.

6. Daniel.S

Yeah I know. The PSM-5 has a button which allows effects to be put in front of the amp without affecting the tone.

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

If you're using a few true bypass pedals in front of the amp then you shouldn't need a separate loop to preserve tone. That wah probably isn't true bypass and so it may be creating some "tone suck". You can get a wah that won't do that or possibly get that one modified.

syscokid likes this.
  8. Daniel.S

Yeah I thought so to, but this is an old wah that I wanted so I guess I'm going to have to go for the separate loop route. I don't mind doing that. I like experimenting with different setups :)

9. Daniel.S

I just wanted to know if any of you guys have had a setup similar to this or what setups do you typically run?

10. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

I don't run a set up yet but since playong with others more lately as lead, i invested what i could and bought a HB01 Wah by Behringer, and a Up to Voodoo Octave. I wanted access to tones similar to those of Hendrix, cream and blind faith era Clapton, SRV, Robby Krieger, Eric Gale, Santana, etc. Ill run them into my envoy 110. Not sure which pedal will go first however. Getting a Fender Champion in couple months I think.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

11. Daniel.S

Cool man! I ended up buying two PSM-5's so I can have all of my effects go into the front of the amp.
    I've been playing the same stuff for 10 years, so this will help break any playing habits and get me out of a sort of 'rut'. Changed tuning helps too.

12. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

^^^This...^^^

With one of these:
    p-h501.png

13. Daniel.S

Yes, I read that part you have quoted in bold.
    Like I said though, I have those PSM-5’s coming so tone loss won’t be a problem.

14. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Yeah, as cool as those old BOSS PSM-5 pedals are, I was trying to save you some realty space.

But, I'm adding the following info cuz it might be useful to others:
    I have a late '70s Cry Baby, and about 12 years ago I had a pro modify the pedal to eliminate the tone sucking, replace the scratchy Wah pot, and change the TDK inductor to a stack of dimes inductor with the promise of a better sounding Wah-wah. Since I rarely messed with a Wah pedal at the time, it took me about a couple years to realize that the modified Wah pedal was still sucking tone. This was the point when I started to educate myself on doing simple mods myself. With the help of internet pics and diagrams, I noticed the new true bypass switch was not wired properly. Once I corrected that, my old Cry Baby now has a true bypass signal... and no tone sucking.

Not mine, but exactly how it used to look:

wahosg1.jpg

And how mine looks now:

Cry-Baby (6).JPG

15. Daniel.S

Oh, cool! I appreciate it man!
    That could be another thing to do as well later on.
    The i also appreciate the PSM-5 have a switch so it’s not a problem only a benefit of being able to turn off a few effects at once.

syscokid likes this.