Want this 'Classic' SG (P90s). Overpriced?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Molly, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Molly

Molly Active Member

Hi.

Keen on this:

2007 SG Classic (P90s) | Trade Me

Does anybody know if this Classic is different to a Standard of the same year (other than the P90s of course)? Wondering if it's special in any way. Just seems a little expensive.

Many thanks.

Molly.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  2. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

The only one I've handled had a similar finish to a standard, and the neck binding. But it has a plainer headstock, the P-90s and dots. It's really more like a Special only now they use that branding for other guitars so they came up with "classic" I suppose.

That does seem like a lot of cash.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Well heres my 2006 SG Classic.it will be buried with me lol.they are different than the standard.somewhat.P90s is the obvious.neck is wide and chunky.great guitar man.simply great.its heavier to than other SGs ive handled.in fact its the guitar i was playin when i read ur post lol

Attached Files:

4. JohnnyGoo

I paid 800$ for mine with the hard shell case.it wasnt played alot either.but that one your lookin at maybe played less.there a pretty sought after model

5. Molly

Molly Active Member

Thanks guys. We do pay a premium here (I'm often envious when I hear / see how much you guys pay for your guitars in the US) but even with that adjustment it feels a bit pricey.

I'm having a trip to the US for my 50th next year and did have a P90 Les Paul on my shopping list for the trip. Might have to rethink that...

All the best.

randy haley, SG John and LeadFinger like this.
  6. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

I paid 600 for my 05 with case used but it was spotless and is my best sounding playing guitar. You wont be disapointed.

7. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

I paid $600 for mine with a hardshell case, and it was like new. Mine has the faded finish, though. It's an excellent guitar. I couldn't be happier with it.

[​IMG]

8. JohnnyGoo

Great lookin classic

michaelinokc likes this.
  9. Molly

Molly Active Member

Thanks for the replies. Makes me wonder if there's some money to be made buying second-hand guitars in the US and shipping them over. Probably not that much I suppose or somebody would be doing it.

alexander paul and SG John like this.
  10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

someone certainly IS doing it... but maybe they don't lower the prices for you.
    buying a guitar like this is something you would not regret once the mastercard bill
    was paid off.

sometimes guys think it over and figure out something they can sell that would help
    to offset the cost. good luck. I wish you well in this. If you don't get this one, you
    might be regretful enough to watch for another one, and maybe get a better price
    the next time.

But with the way Gibson prices are going, I'm suggesting to everyone who has some
    G.A.S. that if you want an SG, get it now. do whatever it takes, sell something, work extra,
    borrow from a loved one... and get it now while the gettin's still good.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  11. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

If you have a way to clear them through customs, and not pay a hefty duty (along with freight charges), then do it. I remember in the late 80's before Europe went on the Euro. Germans were coming to the U.S., filling containers with old Harley Davidsons and old Gibsons and Fenders. They made a killing flipping them once they got home.

12. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

1600+ seems very high. Molly. I got mine for 500 USD with case.

13. Molly

Molly Active Member

Isn't there a maxim out there about addicts' best friends being other addicts? Something to do with supporting each other's habits.... LOL.

Just read the thread to my Mrs. At least she's now got someone else to blame :-)

Might hang-out for our US trip. I'll watch this one and see if he lowers the price but think maybe picking one up on my 50th birthday trip to the US might give it a bit more of a story, not to mention the chance to actually play it. Also want that P90 Les Paul so bad right now. And that call from The Black Crowes asking me to come over and jam. :-)

I can dream.

Alex_SG likes this.
  14. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

I think those "classic" p90 loaded sg's had baked maple fingerboards.

Nothing wrong with maple...it's just a little snappier sounding than rosewood. Not necessarily brighter, but more transient (note attack) information than a rosewood board would give you.

15. chilipeppermaniac

Features: The technical stuff: - Body: beveled mahogany - Neck/profile: mahogany/rounded SG - Fingerboard/inlay: 22 fret rosewood/pearloid dot - Scale/nut width: 243/4"/111/16" - Binding: white fingerboard - Bridge/tailpiece: Tune-O-Matic/ABR - Hardware: chrome/vintage white button tuners - Pickups: dual P-90 - Controls: two volume, two tone, 3-way Switch - Finish: cherry

Not Baked Maple

16. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Gibson SG Classics are amazing, The P-90s open a whole new set of tonality. IMHO, they can do it all. I got and 07 for 700 USD on 2011. She have been my go to guitar for since them and like many here I probably would have to be buried with her. Yes her, she is a babe. 1800 USD is a lot of money for them at this time (2014). They are no longer made which makes them more attractive to the kind eye, and some how more favorable to flip for profit.

The difference from the Standard to the Classic are; P-90s, Dot inlays, White fret boar binding and the Gibson tuner with the white plastic tuning head. My neck feels more 60's profile. My 2011 Standard feels very similar. It's known for Classic's necks to vary in this aspect because they are all hand finished. They are the bastard child of a standard and a special in body characteristics. But electronically behave more like a cross between a Gibson SG Standard's 490/498 and a Fender Strat Texas special single coil. The result is a very mad P-90 equip sexy babe.

In conclusion 1800 USD is a lot of money in todays market. You can look around and find what you want for less than halve of the money. IMHO the seller is trying to fish for an unaware fishy and bank big to early.

randy haley likes this.
  17. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

You know the classic could be an unofficial Pete Townshend model cause in the 70s when pete was having a hard time finding old SG specials he had Gibson make a few SG specials with tune o matic bridges and P90s exactly like the classic. They just didnt suit him so he went with the LP Deluxe instead so theres that.

mikeystool and JohnnyGoo like this.
  18. randy haley

randy haley New Member

paid 1000.00 for my 2010 classic in 2010,,i do beleieve it was discontinued after that ,,,,,guitar sounds awsome has a sound like you wont beleieve & plays like a dream,,,,,,,,play & sounds better than my 2014 original

19. chilipeppermaniac

Molly, that was a sweet youtube clip. Nice playing bro. Do you still have that Lester with P90's?

20. Molly

Molly Active Member

Cheers. Sadly that LP was sold about nine years ago to help buy the wife a new Harley Sportster.... Honestly.

I'm trying to track it down as it happens. Would love to get it back.