Warmoth LP Special DC garage sale prize.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AK-78, Aug 18, 2015.

1. AK-78

AK-78 Member

So I found this guitar body at a garage sale this summer...$8 with dimarzio strat pickup in the mid position. I think this is going to be a fun project to take on as the summer frenzy winds down. Whew, Summer is short and intense in the north. While I kinda dig the anime painting of Lum ;), I think I'll refinish the body. I had to rewind the strat pickup, I have a tele neck to slap on, and I just received a jaguar pickup for the bridge from Rose Pickups (the quality of Ken's pickup builds are second to none, and they sound great! His prices are more than fair as well). Speaking of the bridge, it will be a vintage tele styled half bridge. Fun, fun, I can't wait. Also, since the original tinkerer cut a strat style boat jack hole in the top of the guitar, I guess I will put one of those in as well. DSC_0421.jpg DSC_0423.jpg I love the little Warmoth turtle. :smile:

alexander paul, WavMixer and eS.G. like this.
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Nice template, but you need to put a P90 in it.

lineboat and JohnnyGoo like this.
  4. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

I dig it! Cool base for a project and a great deal at the same time!
    Whatts not to like

5. AK-78

AK-78 Member

I actually considered putting p90's, or humbucker sized p-90 into the bridge position, but decided that since I have guitar with those already, I would try something a bit different this time.
    Yes Madmatt, I was pleased with the score, since I like projects, and also because its getting to hard to sneak complete guitars, especially ones I paid big bucks for on a credit card, past my wife and into the house. Incidentally, the body is alder, so it should lend itself well to the fender voicing it will end up with. One thing about guitar projects is that they tend to morph as time goes on... Look at the cool thread about dirty girl! Never know, I may put a Humbucker shaped p90 in the bridge, and the Jaguar pickup in the neck, it seems like a winning combo...

JohnnyGoo and DrBGood like this.
  6. AK-78

AK-78 Member

I finally have had some time to work on this body. I have sanded it down, and steamed the worst of the dings out. I will leave the old bridge tail piece holes unfilled to remind me of past history. The hole cut into the top for the strat boat style jack plate will get a switch plate for a strat 5way. I'll then drill a new jack hole in the side and mount a LP jack plate. I think I will go with a HSS setup using a left over Iconix Tbone bucker, the Dimarzio strat PU I rewound, and the Rose Pickups Jaguar PU in the neck. I have a short tele-like bridge, I will try rear loading the strings, but I may have to drill the body for that string through tone and sustain... The pickguard design is a hybridization of strat and lp DC special. Now I have to figure out how to fabricate it. I might start with a strat guard and cut it down, except it leaves odd holes and slots, as well as imperfect positioning of the pickup cutouts. Here is a picture of a crude mockup of the Franken Caster Spcl. Now I need to get back to fine sanding the body so I can apply the finish.

Attached Files:

ninjaking67, WavMixer, eS.G. and 2 others like this.
  7. AK-78

AK-78 Member

Should I mount the humbucker in the hole with, or without a plastic mounting ring? I have a flat low profile in black, and cream... Hmmm. Oh, It just came back to me, I was thinking about building a couple small mounts for the bucker out of copper. I'll just bend and hammer them into shape, and then drill them for the mounting hardware. It should be fun!

Madmatt likes this.
  8. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

That mockup is wild! Cant wait to see how it looks finished!

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

LOVE THE MOCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Excellent score. Good luck with whatever you decide to turn it into. Eight bucks, what a bargain!