What am I looking at?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Anthony Smith, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Anthony Smith

Anthony Smith New Member

00F24D90-772C-48C6-A51A-9A547E12A8C5.jpeg hey gang! I’m brand new to this site but I’ve been an SG owner for a bit now. I recently saw this so called SG on my local Craig’s List that seems odd: only two knobs, an SG Junior style trem, and 24 frets with dot inlays. Anybody know what I’m looking at?

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You probably haven't gotten any responses because this is in the "SG copies" section. But anyway, it seems to be a legit Gibson, one of those '80s variations on the Special.

Anthony Smith likes this.
  3. Anthony Smith

Anthony Smith New Member

Yeah I thought it was maybe a copy/knockoff hence posting it here. But I’ll post in a different discussion to try and get more hits. Thanks for the input!

4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

More pictures would help, too.

5. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Here's my observations.

First off, the tremolo looks like an early version of the Les Trem...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Gibson looks exactly like someone added a pickup to an SG All American I Series (sometimes called simply SG I) from around 1996 with the same Dark Wineburst finish as shown below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too bad the original picture lacks deeper definition but..

SG Mystery 24.jpeg SG Mystery 24 (2).jpg
    The coil split toggle switch appears to be right in the spot occupied by the pickup toggle switch in the OP pic.
    I messed with some exposure parameters trying to get some definition & detail to shine through & some of it works ok in the second pic.

Between the unusual Wineburst color & unique positioning of all the drilled holes that now hold the Volume & Tone knobs along with the Switch & Input Jack, & the rare 24 fret board with 2 dot inlay marker on the 24th fret.. my best guess (after spending way too much time on this 'mystery' SG lol) is that this is a modified 96-ish Gibson SG I.

All American I SG-X.JPG

I found it interesting to note that the above description from Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars totally forgot to mention the important fact that the All American I & subsequent SG-X are 24 fret guitars! oops, just slightly worth mentioning maybe??

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    PermissionToLand and rotorhead like this.
  6. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

I like how it looked before the mods that's a sweet looking Jrish SG. You don't see single pu with tune o matic bridge too often.