What Amp Do You Plug Your SG Into?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by guitarweasel, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

I like evil twins too! Rafel, I think there one of the most underrated amps ever.

I don't understand the hate for them?

2. Rafael

Rafael Member

[quote author=Constellation80 link=topic=18054.msg230326#msg230326 date=1237065138]
    I like evil twins too! Rafael, I think there one of the most underrated amps ever.

I don't understand the hate for them?
    [/quote]

There sure is a hate/love relation associated with these amps. LOL, including myself for many years until I finally learned how to use it....or some tricks with it.

I read a lot of dislike from techs mainly...if you ever had to replace a pot or a jack you'd understand why ;D. Total pain in the you know what....and that's just if all goes well to begin with.

However they are build like a tank. I bought mine used from a friend in '89 and he bought it new. Since then this amp has been used and abused by myself. Also rented out to several venues and other bands with no issues for years.

I had to replace a couple of resistors about 5 years ago, the cement looking ones...easy enough just a pain to find. A couple of years ago I had one of the input jacks on the clean side go bad...a real joy to replace >:(. Amp still worked fine through the second jack though so no downtime due to that. Only down time I had was after replacing it...took me about a month to get it right.

Sound wise, well it is a 100 watt tube amp. These particular models do need to be cranked up to get it to shine. At low volumes it sounds flat and..well just lifeless. Being a Twin, unless you use the gain side, it stays clean all the way....no breakup. However they do have a sweet spot, or when they start to come alive and sound really great. On mine it's around 7 on the volume knob.....way loud. Even pulling tubes out and flipping to the low side only gives you maybe 1 or 2 notches on the volume...still loud.

But there's a few ways to skin that cat and for me it's been by just adding an EQ pedal to the FX loop. I can pull out some of the frequencies I loose at low volumes with it....I keep one with the amp always. Also helps it take OD pedals much better...at least to my ears anyways.

I can run it low volumes and it just sound beautiful...add a bit of slap back delay to fatten it and man it just gets no better I think.

As I said it wasn't always that way....many nights I wanted to just put my foot through the grill. Even thought of selling a few times...thank God I didn't now. Watch me jink myself now.

My hollow and semi hollow body guitars always like this amp, but not so much the solid body ones. Just until recently it's been liking my SG...maybe my ears are just getting worst with time :D.

FWIW...I got it cause couldn't pass on the deal and at the time was also doing a few outdoor stuff which worked just fine for that....didn't need the EQ then 8).

Darn...sorry for rambling on. Yeah...I like it too.

3. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=18054.msg230322#msg230322 date=1237049760]
    Here is another meager setup.
    5 watt Valve Junior with the coupled volume/boost circuit and output tranny replacement. The 2 x 12 cab is loaded with Vintage 30's so it gets a nice lush sound as compared to the 10" speakers.

[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    Sweetness!!! I like the small 2x12 cab for a significant yet highly portable rig. What would you classify the new power/watts rating?
    Bet those V30's sound excellent. Wounder if it would make a difference using them one at a time. How's your cleans and bass response? What volume till it opens up (starts sounding at it's best)?

4. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I need to test the unit more but I use this for an apartment and the volume is certainly not 100%.
    I think this particular amp and speaker combo sounds best at about 50% to 90% volume.
    Any more than that and it is too distorted. Then again I am looking for a nice clean blues sound with some bite and sustain. This does that job nicely and doesn't slap the ears too hard.

5. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Well mine was bought by my friend years ago, at a guitar shop broken. They told them it wasn't even worth fixing it. He took it too a tech and $200 later the rest was history. He gigged it in a rockabilly band for 10 years and abused the crap out of it. He literally would jump up and down on it, ride it like a bull.It never ever failed!!.. it wasn't till he was getting divorced he decided to let it go.

I find it has a much wider spectrum of range then people think, you just have to set it right. I play with the gain slightly just enough that it kinda stars breaking up, which gives it a nice brit/indie rock sound. It has that perfect fender tone.

The other trick that people don't realise in the loudness, is if you turn it too low (25 watts) and you set the volume down it's LOUD! if you turn the volume pots up it doesn't seem to get much louder. Vice versa, turn it too hi (100 Watts) it's actually allot quieter if the volume pots are turned down to the low. yet it's incredibly louder when your turn the volume up.
    So I keep it in high, and if you fiddle with it just right you will get the sterilness out of it. And good tone with out ear shattering volume.
    Well loud enough to be heard over the drums.

6. Rafael

Rafael Member

[quote author=Constellation80 link=topic=18054.msg230351#msg230351 date=1237191783]
    I find it has a much wider spectrum of range then people think, you just have to set it right. I play with the gain slightly just enough that it kinda stars breaking up, which gives it a nice brit/indie rock sound. It has that perfect fender tone.[/quote]

I think it has a wide range also...at least a lot more than some folks think as you put it. Definitely do have to play with the settings.

My present favorite is running it in parallel. Just a bit of grit on the gain side, probably about as much as what you are using. I can still kick on an OD pedal if I want more with out it fighting with that channel. Add little bit of reverb to the clean side only, not much though, and just blend them together. I can adjust the volume on either side depending on how much of each side I want.

So much you can do with them I think. LOL...I don't know if I mentioned it already but I made a head for mine....still fricking heavy. But a bit more mangable, and great for trying other cabs...or speakers rather.

7. tooradavis

tooradavis New Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=18054.msg230319#msg230319 date=1237045537]

Thought I'd tip my hat in approval to a cool but perhaps somewhat meager looking rig! 5 tube watts and only one factory control knob (volume), but take her home, soooo much more manageable than 30/50/100watt amps. Decent rig, low low low price, nicely done! ;)

I'm not sure what mod's you had done for your amp, but if your interested in more from your current amp prior to purchasing or swapping out for another one, you could upgrade the transformer(s). I commonly heard such an upgrade is not only louder, you get improved clean headroom and removes mud and .

I think it's cool your 4x10 cab is so flexible. How do you like it, ever swap speakers? It's a mini 4x12 cab(!), does it seem to have decent low end especially when turned up a bit?
    [/quote]

1Way

The little bugger rocks for 5 watts. Put in a beefier output transformer, wired in a tone knob, and have an input with a little higher gain from the start off. I like goofing around with electronics... have a couple more valve junior carcasses that I"m putting different circuits in, though haven't had enough free time with finals.

I'm very happy with the cabinet. Got a super good deal on it from a friend of a friend (100 bucks still wrapped in original plastic). The low end is enough for me, then again I'm not partial to too much bass. 5 watts may sound meager, but it gets the job done. Not too flabby with the beefier OT either. Haven't thought of swapping speakers, cause they sound pretty good.

Looking to get a fender in the future with a little more wattage or a Vox still haven't decided... have to see if I'm getting anything for my bday.

Rich

8. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=18054.msg230317#msg230317 date=1237042007]

I’m curious where you are from. I'm guessing across the pond (I'm in USA) as I don't think we get Matamps over here. I've read at least several others here who seem quite happy with their Matamps. GTO 120 (watts!?), wow, sounds a bit menacing, or like heaven if you have an extra empty stadium to jam in. ;D ... Is it domesticated enough to take home, or is the quiet life not a good fit?

RI Orange amp
    I recently watched a show on cable tv reviewing a reissue Orange amp, and found the demo was quite interesting. I believe it had two gain knobs, one high (frequency/pitch) and one low gain control. At the beginning he made it sound out of focus and then slowly dialed in more treble gain until at the end the focus was very sharp. One of the more unique controls I've seen on a tube amp. I was impressed.
    [/quote] Actually I live in dallas TX. I bought the matamp from a guy in NY who had it custom made. He had 6550's in it and it pushed 180 watts. When I received it one tube was blown, so I had it retubed with JJ EL34's. It has no master volume, so it ain't bedroom friendly !! I plan to run it AND the orange rv 100 at out next show. It's an outdoor gig. I really like it LOUD. The matamp is so different than the orange is. I need more time to dime it at band practice, but I'm loving it.Very growly sounding.

9. pcypert

pcypert New Member

Have a two month wait for my Vox Night Train to arrive (limited stock coming to Singapore). Probably pick up a Cube 20x or Vox modeling amp in the meantime if I can find a good deal on a used one...

Paul

10. 8-ball

8-ball Member

A Laney Lionheart L5T-112. Great amp!

[​IMG]

11. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I've heard good thingsa bout those laney amps. One of those sleeper brands that not alot of folks know about but reportedly very good quality inside and out. For low wattage, I still love my little badcat 5 watt combo. The vintage 30 they use really is matched up well for it.
    [​IMG]

If I need more power but still want it to be light and easy to carry, I would opt for the Eggnator rebel. I still need to find some good VOS tubes to drop in it but even with stock tubes it is pretty versatile little head. I run it thru a 1x12 closed back cab with a celestion. Kinda a jack of all trades setup.
    [​IMG]

For the rare case where I might be playing for a crowd, I have my trusty marshall 50 watt head with a 1960A half stack. As an over 40 guy, I almost never do gigs anymore and hate to lug around heavy amps so most of the time I will just use the little badcat. Easy to carry and easy to setup, if I need more volume it has this handy little adjustment on the back so I can use any cab I want. Pretty cool feature for a small amp
    [​IMG]

12. oldrockfan

Saw your comment about the little vox amp (night train) and thought I would say i got to try one out at the guitar show in dallas a couple months ago. really cool little amp! If I hadn't already bought my eggnator, I would have been very tempted to get it. Be sure to give us a report when you get a chance to really try yours out. And maybe throw up some pics so folks can see what you are talking about. I was impressed by how small it was. Similar to but even smaller than a tiny terror but with more control.

[quote author=pcypert link=topic=18054.msg232529#msg232529 date=1241665947]
    Have a two month wait for my Vox Night Train to arrive (limited stock coming to Singapore). Probably pick up a Cube 20x or Vox modeling amp in the meantime if I can find a good deal on a used one...

Paul
    [/quote]

13. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I play my SG through a '76 Marshall JMP 50 watt and a 212 cab with greenbacks. I have a 70's silver face Fender Champ, too, which is fun to play with until you plug in the Marshall.

I recently went with my friend to buy a cheap practice amp. I talked him in to buying an Epiphone Valve Junior because I had heard so many good things about them. Well, I am impressed with that little amp. I played a Hamer semi-hollow DC/LP through it for him at the guitar shop. Not only was he impressed, but it turned the heads of a few customers as well. He is just picking it up again after not playing since Junior High!. We bought a used DS-1 to play with too. I haven't run my SG through it yet, but I am dying to plug it into my 212 with the SG. I see one in my near future.

14. 8-ball

8-ball Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=18054.msg232851#msg232851 date=1242317372]
    I've heard good thingsa bout those laney amps. One of those sleeper brands that not alot of folks know about [/quote]

Yeah, Laney is a bit in the shadow. The bulk of Laney is solid-state amps made in the Far East. But their real stuff is a small but prestigious line of tubeamps/cabinets made in the UK. Iommi is their poster-child, of course.

Have to admit I’ve never heard of the Egnator. But I’m sure I’ve seen the Black Cat in another thread here.

I think the main reason to why low watt single-end amps can sound so sweet is because there’s no crossover in the OP stage.

15. revelroy

revelroy Member

After a friend of mine's 72 silverface Deluxe Reverb got stolen after a gig, I recommended that he buy a Laney VC30 w2x10.
    It was relatively inexpensive [don't recall how much it was, only that it was a bargain]. It is running 4xEL84 + 3x12ax7.
    Does everything we need it to do [for the stones tribute band we're in.]
    Other amps I've considered at various times that are cheap are 2 of the peavey models: [1] the vintage 30 [same setup as the laney], and [2] the delta blues [has the additional tReMoLo!, and the COOOOL 'tv' cabinet!]
    They both sound pretty good and are good for most applications except for heavier stuff.
    Lately, I've played through a Dr.Z maz 38, and THAT is a nice tone amp! chimey, and works nice with any pedals.

16. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I've always liked the peavey vintage 30 and I'm an old amp snob cause my ears don't lie to me ;D check one out if you can

17. oldrockfan

Yep, the classic 30 and the delta blues are both solid choices. With tube swaps, they can rival fender cleans or give you a nice bluesey tone with some bite. Only flaw if you want to call it that is that they really can't quite get that classic marshall or mesa rock tones imho.

re egnator, they are a new design made in china :-\ but have alot of features. I wasn't going to buy but tried it for a long time at the shop and couldn't resist. I still need to find a good reasonable source for NOS tubes so I can tweak my egnator tone. The badcat sounds great just like it is. Oh the badcat also loves pedals. Compressor, EQ and drive and that amp can pretty much cover all the ground I want at ear friendly levels. If I could afford it, I'd buy a larger badcat to add to the collection but they are just too darned expensive!

18. Voxman

So many Amps so little money! :?

19. revelroy

revelroy Member

I'm going to a rehearsal studio after work today, located in NYC, and they have alot of 'boutique' amps for players to try. It's called ULTRASOUND and they have a website for you all to check out. Anyway, they have that Dr Z that I was posting about previously and i'm lusting after it.. SHITE! I need another amp like a hole in the head.
    I promised myself I'd buy myself an AR-15 and a pistol first...

20. Voxman

Ultrasound is THE Studio in the City! They'll buy any Trainwreck available and not play games! O0 Have a great time Royaroo`