What Amp Do You Plug Your SG Into?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by guitarweasel, Nov 2, 2008.

1. revelroy

revelroy Member

somewhere in between a xov/marshall.
    runs 2xEL84and 3x12ax7. simple, circuit. great tone, cleans up just by backing off the guits volume.

2. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

Update on my rig... I just finished restoring a 70s Marshall B cab (fitted w/ basketweave instead of checkerboard). It's loaded with (2) G12H-30s & (2) G12M-25s and driven with an '87 2205 (in a plexi-look cab).

[​IMG]

3. zakknicowylde

zakknicowylde New Member

[quote author=lakehaus link=topic=18054.msg237745#msg237745 date=1250169096]
    Update on my rig... I just finished restoring a 70s Marshall B cab (fitted w/ basketweave instead of checkerboard). It's loaded with (2) G12H-30s & (2) G12M-25s and driven with an '87 2205 (in a plexi-look cab).

[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin: :Droolin:

4. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

mmmm, eleven glowing tubes and alnico blues!

[​IMG]

5. revelroy

revelroy Member

[quote author=Mike McLenison link=topic=18054.msg238118#msg238118 date=1250601353]
    mmmm, eleven glowing tubes and alnico blues!

[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    I don't see any SG here!!??

6. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Mike
    Looks awesome! When did you get that Vox of a monster amp?!? 8)
    :Droolin:

7. 1Way

1Way Active Member

lakehaus
    Sweet cherry vintage Gibson SG and Marshall amp! Love you rig. I like my SG JCM800 combo. Low input for clean and gritty blues, or high input for classic and hard rock. What lovely (70's-mode) year is that SG? What kinda pups and how do you like them? I see you have the channel switcher! Very cool. I very nearly got that version in combo form. Instead I ended up getting a 50watter without channel-switching/diode-clipping.

Do you use channel switching much? And what about the volume level between the two after you switch, is it about even or is the low input side quieter? On my amp the low input removes a gain stage while using the high input simply retains the full circuit (and gain stages). It's not a separate preamp channel, and the low input seems way lower in volume as compared to the high input (with all the same knob settings).
    8)

8. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

1Way - I use channel switching via the footpedal, since I have only one input up front. I keep the MV almost wide open most of the time, presence at noon +/- and other eqs about flat on the boost channel. I vary gain depending on what style I'm playing. On the normal (clean) channel, I fatten bass and keep the treble around 2 o'clock. I mess with my guitars' V/T a lot until I hit the sweet spot.

Although the normal channel is very useable on the 2205, I prefer cleans coming thru my Fenders. Nothing beats the Marshall for drippy warm cream overdrive - driving a quad of greenbacks in a 70s cab... that's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it!!

9. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Lakehaus - My friend, some curiocities remain. Don't mean to be too nosey. When you switch between the two channels, is the clean side noticably quieter than the other channel? What year is your SG? What pickups and do you like them? You keep the mv almost wide open!?! Holly smoke that's gotta be loud. You play out for a living? I'm lucky to get it passed two. hehehe

10. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=18054.msg238669#msg238669 date=1251551165]
    Lakehaus - My friend, some curiocities remain. Don't mean to be too nosey. When you switch between the two channels, is the clean side noticably quieter than the other channel? What year is your SG? What pickups and do you like them? You keep the mv almost wide open!?! Holly smoke that's gotta be loud. You play out for a living? I'm lucky to get it passed two. hehehe
    [/quote]

In fact, it's the opposite. When I switch, the clean ch seems to throw more at me than the boost ch. I never measured it schientifically, but that's what my ears tell me - and what I feel against my chest.

My typical volume settings for max home play (I don't play out) is MV=8; ChV=2... summary = LOUD. I've cranked it before (up to MV8; ChV6 on boost) and I was ascared the strings would pop on my poor acoustic that was setting nearby!!

The SG Standard is a '76. I replaced the original guts and pups with Sheptone Tribute PAFs and RS vintage pots, coupled to Russian PIOs. It simply rips with clarity.

11. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I was cleaning up my practice space the other night, and thought I'd take a new family photo while all the main amps are all in one spot.

[​IMG]

This is the only amp I owned for about 10 years. That and an SG junior. The amp still sounds great with its 30+ year old tubes and big 15" Altec Lansing speaker.

[​IMG]

12. 8-ball

8-ball Member

[quote author=SG John link=topic=18054.msg241000#msg241000 date=1256485331]
    I was cleaning up my practice space the other night, and thought I'd take a new family photo while all the main amps are all in one spot.[/quote]

Very nice 'family' 8)

13. revelroy

revelroy Member

ADOPT ME PLEEEEEZE!!!!

14. uyasgali

uyasgali Member

[​IMG]

...Mister Clean...