What are your thoughts on the recent mass shootings and the increasing rate of these?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Layne Matz, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

If all of this were statistically and empirically true there would not be such insurmountable evidence to the contrary, and far less people would be dead right now.

2. Layne Matz

3. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

No, the historical fact is that the militia at Lexington owned assault weapons and military cannons. No statistic other than numbers of weapons they owned is relevant.

Bob

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Nothing to worry about. These shootings are clearly what America wants. If they didn't, they would take the steps the civilised world has taken.

PixMix, Didds, SG standard and 2 others like this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Well said! There is a reason it was listed as the Second Amendment in this great Nation of ours. And that same reason is still just as viable today as it was when drafted in 1789.

6. Layne Matz

:facepalm:

7. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

Viable or not the Second Amendment is part of our Constitution. It cannot be legislated or regulated away. It can only be repealed or altered by the means set forth in the Constitution.

arcticsg likes this.
  8. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I was in reference to its placement in the list, as its importantance was so, that it was listed Second above all the others.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  9. donepearce

No need to repeal. The government can simply ride roughshod over the constitution whenever it feels like it. Witness the words "In god we trust" illegally placed on your currency, and "under god" illegally inserted into your oath of allegiance.

Didds, Layne Matz and DrBGood like this.
  10. Layne Matz

We can AMEND the constitution just as has been done in the past.

Didds likes this.
  11. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

I’m tempted to turn the Marshall half stack up to 10 and run roughshod over the fretboard of my SG, but I’m afraid my Second Amendment loving neighbors will respond harshly.

I would love to have this discussion, but alas I do think a guitar Forum is not the proper setting to delve deep into this topic.

12. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

That’s what I said. Amend and alter are synonymous in this context. Can, should and will are three different realities. Can: absolutely. Should: depends on one’s perspective. Will: not in this lifetime.

13. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I think its reasonable that people can own weapons.

Can you purchase a set of rocket launchers that could take down commercial aircraft? Thankfully no.

Why can idiots purchase ak47s?

The NRA which is about as shaky an organization as any.

Even the russian bootlicker is scared of the power of the NRA.

PixMix and Layne Matz like this.
  14. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

...unless you know where to shop.

15. Layne Matz

Goes to show. I think we need common sense gun regulations, what that entails is open for debate but personally I will support any common sense measure that helps ensure the safety of people everywhere- sadly no place is safe anymore but there are common sense things we can do about this crisis that WILL save MORE lives.

Didds likes this.
  16. donepearce

Unfortunately sense is far from common.

PixMix, Didds and Layne Matz like this.
  17. Layne Matz

Or worse: domestic abusers, those with a history of mental illness, those with a questionable history involving violence, hate or harrassment, etc. The same people who see it as a service to the nation to shoot up a preschool, a church, a wall mart, a night club, a concert, a place of work, a high school, a college, a factory, a waffle house, a governemnt building, a city council meeting, etc, etc. The list can go on and on and on.... There are many factors that many of these instances have in common but I'd say the main 4 would be:
    1.lack of adequate mental health treatments
    2. Relatively easy access to high capacity, rapid fire assault style firarms both legally and illegally
    3. Radicalized ritualistic White Supremacist Ideologies
    4.White 'nationalism' focused internet forums

Didds likes this.
  18. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

As much as I genuinely love having these discussions, I do have to agree that a guitar forum is not the place for this

19. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Gun show loophole- there is no such thing. It's a made up phrase designed to instill a particular emotional impact.

What people refer to as a loophole is really just a limitation on the federal government installed by our 2nd amendment to the constitution. As the wording of the Gun Control Act of 1968 was being drafted, and later approved, our government had to dig into the interstate commerce aspects of gun sales. That, as well as the business aspect of transferring ownership of guns. They simply had no legal influence over the private sales market and could only regulate the business side of it, especially with sales across state boundaries.

Under those circumstances, they created the Federal Firearms License system, requiring various conditions if you were in the business of selling firearms and or trying to transfer ownership of them across state lines. They simply could not regulate transfers within state lines for private sales. That was a matter for states to handle, if they so chose.

That Constitutional restriction is now referred to as a "loophole". The Federal government has no more constitutional bearing today to regulate private sales as it did back in 1968. Many states have since enacted their own laws regarding the private transfer of weapons, and many others havent- or have recently eased or tightened their restrictions according to their own laws.

As it was in 1934, 1968 and in subsequent years with respect toward the tightening of federal laws and regulations, there's only so far the feds can take it. The matter is still largely a states issue.

arcticsg likes this.
  20. donepearce

Is the USA really a country? It appears to be just a loose federation of independent states. They even have extradition treaties between them. They appear to be bound together rather more loosely than the countries of the EU.

Didds and Layne Matz like this.