What delay pedals are you using?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by flyswatter, Nov 17, 2014.

1. flyswatter

flyswatter Member

I'm looking for a decent delay pedal in the under $150 range that can give me a fairly subtle thickening/ atmospheric/ Gilmour-ish type sounds. Most of the stores close to me stock the usual Boss models, though I did get to try a TC Electronic mini-pedal delay that I didn't like.

Curious what other people are using. I don't mind whether it's analog or digital.

2. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I'm using this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Biyang-AD-10-Delay-Pedal-Machine/dp/B007K82O04[/ame]
    It's dirt cheap, and gets the Gilmour/Edge sound pretty darn well.
    For the price, I don't think you could complain about it either. Quality is brilliant, has a steel case and solid stomp button. Super-bright LEDs and more settings than you could poke a stick at...

3. jeremy

jeremy Active Member

4. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

5. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

MXR Carbon Copy

Tobacco Worm and dcwave like this.
  6. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

Same here...except mine is an earlier one in pink. Great pedal!

7. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Mines the pink one too! (Top left of pedalboard)

[​IMG]

8. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Dan Echo and Carbon Copy

9. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

I don't delay, I always play on time :fingersx::naughty:

iblive likes this.
  10. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

I am using a Mooer Reecho, which I got new for about 75€.. I an very happy with it, it's super small and has a switch to choose between analog, digital and tape modes

11. flyswatter

flyswatter Member

Thanks for the great suggestions, folks. I'm going to check these all out.

12. flyswatter

flyswatter Member

I went and tried a bunch today -- including most of those mentioned here, except the Biyang which the store didn't have. The MXR Carbon Copy was definitely the standout among the simpler analogue-type delays.

However, my favourite of all was a DigiTech Hardwire Delay/ Looper that goes for $189 (a little above my stipulated range but not out of the park, considering the added bonus of a looper). It had amazing versatility, and was an easy match for the MXR in terms of the two main sounds I want -- slapback for rockabilly and long repeating delay for the Gilmourish stuff. Wasn't really in the market for a looper, but it might come in handy from time to time.

http://digitech.com/en/products/dl-8

13. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

I use a Behringer Vintage Time Machine (EHX Memory Man Clone) and a Madbean Cave Dweller (project you have to build). Both are on the short end of the maximum delay time.

One thing you might want to watch out for is "tails" - do you want the repeats to continue after you switch the pedal off? Not every pedal can do that.

flyswatter likes this.
  14. flyswatter

flyswatter Member

potatofarmer, cool observation on the "tails". The Hardwire I tried today has a setting for tails/ no tails, so it can do either.

I'll check out the Behringer as well; have not seen Madbean gear locally at all.

15. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I use a TC Electronics Nova Delay. I like it very much. For what I do, being able to select subdivisions for delay (i.e., quarter note, dotted eighth) and being able to have an accurate tap-tempo is very important. I even use a reverse delay, from time to time.

It's a very transparent delay and very versatile. It even allows you to save up to nine presets.

flyswatter likes this.
  16. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Visual Sound H20

If you are not familiar with the H20, it has both a delay and a chorus. New, this pedal will be just over $150.00.

Have had the V2 maybe 5 or 6 years. I use it for short delay and some chorus on the cleans. Just bought the V3 and am impressed with the new version.

Rather than me wasting time, here is a video that demos the pedals abilities nicely. Yes, there is some talking and there is some history and why's of this pedal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HIkWRjT25o

flyswatter likes this.
  17. randy haley

randy haley New Member

for the money i dont think you'd go wrong with mxr carbon copy,,youre going to peoples opinion of what they use ,,,i use a carbon copy :)

flyswatter likes this.
  18. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Flyswatter,

The type of delay you choose really depends on your playing needs. If your playing really just needs generalized delay repeats for an echo or spacious effect, then a delay like the MXR Carbon Copy is great. I have a friend who has a Carbon Copy and I really like it. It is a fine analog delay.

However, if, as I alluded in my post above, your playing requires precise subdivisions or tap tempo then a digital delay more fits the bill. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with having both on your board and just using what you need at the time.

If you're interested, here is a review I did of the TC Electronic Nova Delay when I got it. The one change to the following review is that I no longer have an Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy on my board. But I use the Nova Delay all the time. It is one of my most-used pedals.

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/effects/19681-tc-electronics-nova-delay.html

flyswatter likes this.
  19. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

For ages it was the old DoD FX90 analog delay. Superb old unit. Lost mine a few years ago (don't want to talk about that:mad:) so I went on a search for a replacement. Landed upon the MXR Carbon Copy. It has the same internal adjustments via the trim pots, and the "modulation" built into the circuit adds a mild chorus effect when needed. I truly enjoy the CC and it's as close to the old FX90 as I could find in current production. That's one pedal that never leaves the board and it's nearly always on to expand the signal and create über lush tone.:) I'm not trading or selling it that's for sure. And if someone wants to try and take it I'd send AlexSG after 'em and he'll whip 'em to a frazzle!:wow:

Alex_SG and flyswatter like this.
  20. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

I use a Boss DD-3 I bought used. Works just fine and didn't cost much.

lineboat likes this.