what do i need to know?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by antz, Mar 13, 2010.

1. antz

antz Member

what scales do i need to know to get through life?

I know theres loads and Ill never learn them all but I want to know the main ones I need to get me started and help me get through life easier!

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Member

It depends on what sort of music you want to play: if it's blues, then there's a lot of variations on the blues scale which are worth learning up and down the fretboard. Rock also has a lot: the usual blues-influenced scales plus a dose of the minor scales and modes (Dorian is particularly in fashion).

What I recommend is getting a list of scales, running through them and seeing which ones you like, or connect with what you already know. A good source here would something like the appendix in Fretboard Mastery (Troy Stetina) which lists loads of the more unusual scales from right around the world (all the usual modes are extensively covered in the main part of the book).

Despite Stetina's reputation as being only a metal shredder, this book is really good on scale theory and ear training, so you learn play what you hear in your head. Doubtless there are also good internet sources on scales as well.

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

All of them! :D ;D :coolsmiley:

Mayfly offers practical advice - if you are a rocker, you need to know pentatonics, blues scales, major scales, minor, dorian, and mixolydian. Also useful is the chromatic scale - all 12 tones. These will get you through most music until you get to jazz or prog rock.

4. antz

antz Member

ive spent ages on C major ???

Ill never learn them all or ill forget my bank account pin, where i live and who i am! i might know some scales though ;D

5. Atchy

Atchy Member

If learning any musical theory makes you forget something else, then you probably arn't learning it correctly. The wonderful thing about the human brain is its ability to adapt to new styles of learning and its methods of storing new information. Most scales can be accomadated in your head and revisted by using muscle memory.

The best way to learn a scale is to just PLAY THEM. Chuck up a chart on your wall like I did, just work through them, try to remember a couple more each day. In a week or 2 you'd be suprised how many you still remember. By having something to LOOK at as you play, then ACTUALLY playing the thing you are looking at, you are triggering all these different memory types in your head.

I know this thread is really old I just figured I'd add my 2 cents 8)

6. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=20490.msg247261#msg247261 date=1268583595]
    All of them! :D ;D :coolsmiley:

Mayfly offers practical advice - if you are a rocker, you need to know pentatonics, blues scales, major scales, minor, dorian, and mixolydian. Also useful is the chromatic scale - all 12 tones. These will get you through most music until you get to jazz or prog rock.
    [/quote]

I love it when you talk dirty. :)

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=20490.msg253449#msg253449 date=1290296750]
    I love it when you talk dirty. :)
    [/quote]

aw shucks....whole-tone scale, diminished scale, super locrian, bebop major, and of course the Kama Sutra of scales, all those ragas and maqams like Sindhi Bhairavi, Malkauns, Behag, Jayajayavanti, Huzzam, rast, kurdi, and so on.

8. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

If you just want to be able to play classic rock, learn the all the basic open chords, the two basic barr chords and then the different pentatonic scales. That plus work on perfecting a good sounding note bend and finger vibrato and you will do ok. If you want to be more well rounded, work on the various blues and jazz scales which are used in more rock songs than folks realize.

oh and whatever you do... don't learn to tap!

9. Atchy

Atchy Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20490.msg253470#msg253470 date=1290381496]
    [/quote]

Agreed. I don't think that can be stressed enough.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20490.msg253470#msg253470 date=1290381496]

[/quote]

It's OK to tap if it's as a dance style! Soft shoe is OK too.

Only a certain number of people should have ever been allowed to tap. If you MUST tap. learn to play Chapman stick.

11. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

re tap: Gene Kelley-win... guitar hero-epic fail!

for those younger forum members... see I am hip and can use the current forum lingo ;D

course the Gene kelley reference probably dates me somewhat :roll:

12. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20490.msg253480#msg253480 date=1290399283]
    re tap: Gene Kelley-win... guitar hero-epic fail!

for those younger forum members... see I am hip and can use the current forum lingo ;D

course the Gene kelley reference probably dates me somewhat :roll:
    [/quote]You dated Gene Kelly? ;D

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=WavMixer link=topic=20490.msg258812#msg258812 date=1302993651]
    You dated Gene Kelly? ;D
    [/quote]

They sang in the rain together. :D :D :D :D

14. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

It's great being involved at a forum with people that I can relate ancient information with. The car forums that I belong to are full of younger members that never even heard of Gene Kelly. I've always been the old man over there, here I feel like just one of the guys. :D