What do you do with your knobs?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Clifdawg, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

So I was noodling on my Epi LP today when I noticed that 95% of the time, I keep my knobs all at ten. Knowing this is a grave misuse of the versatility afforded by two volume knobs and two knobs, I began twisting.

I immediately began to find some positions I liked. When I play hard rock licks, I like to stay in the lower registers, using open strings and chording and running around on the lower strings. On the neck pickup, it sounds muddy and weak. On the bridge, it's too bright and spanky. But by settling on the middle position, keeping the bridge volume and tones at 10, then backing off the neck to 8 on volume and 0 on tone, I get this super-thick, clear-as-a-bell crunch rhythm tone for power chords and low-end riffs.

So I'm asking what you guys have discovered by playing with your volume and tone controls. I'd like to learn how to get the most out of my LP and SG and tap into the collective knowledge of this forum for that. :dude:

2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

well ive been running mostly PAF style Buckers lately and have noticed they seem to sound best with the tone about half way on guitar and amp.over that they take on a whole different sound.some not so good. i have a Lindy Fralin in one git,a DiMarzio DP 223 36 aniversery PAF in another and Gibson Burst Bucker Pros in another.all are different but with alot of same tonal qualities.some can run tone up on guitar but amp stays about half way with all.im usin a Orange Micro Terror to.

3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

YOu can adjust them???? weird idea......:rofl:

RTH, ivan H and Biddlin like this.
  4. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

I usually have my volume controls at around 3 or 4. this allows me to crank the amp up and get it working harder. It also gives me some room to crank the guitar later if I need to for some reason. My tone knobs are usually between 8 on 9 on the bridge and right on 9 or so on the neck.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I play jazz and blues mostly and use the whole range of settings, but generally for overdrive leads on the neck pickup, I'll have the guitar volume around 7 or 8 and the tone on 1. I then use the tone knob to brighten up higher passages and then switch to the nearly wide open bridge pickup to get pinch harmonics, with just enough volume head room to add and subtract fullness. I usually brighten up quite a bit for rhythm, frequently neck volume 8, tone 7, bridge volume 7, tone 6, in the mid position.( I say this with confidence, having just done a cover of "Brown Sugar" for a friends audition tape, my '02 SG Special still in front of the music stand with knobs on those settings)
    ;>)/

Clifdawg likes this.
  6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I rarely go to 0 on any tone control, but CONGRATULATIONS on discovering the Deep Magic of the middle position!

Many guitar players never discover that enchanted land.

7. Crazy_8

Very interesting, I'm going to have to try that. What kind of amp do you have and what are your volume/ tone setting approximately. I'm assuming you are working at stage volume.

8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

POLISH them......uhm come on I gave you guys ample time to post that.............

Biddlin likes this.
  9. Crazy_8

LOL, Thanks Adrian. But we leave that open to you, 'cause we just know you're dying to go there.

I'm thinking I use lower volume settings because I generally use an old tweed deluxe because she's so dang light and easy to carry, but she sure does "give it up" pretty early on because she has so little headroom. I'm guessing that most folks are more likely to get better results with Biddlin's settings because amps have evolved past my old '59 and have more headroom. In fact I tried his settings on my old Princeton Reverb and it sounded pretty darn good.

Bottom line - amps will affect how you use them knobs on your axe, pedals too.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Biddlin, Clifdawg and eS.G. like this.
  10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I REALLY was......I was even doing the pee pee dance......

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

On stage I use a Crate Palomino V32 with a slight mid-treble boost in the EQ, clean volume, 4 and above, never had it over 6 for any extended period and on the distortion channel the gain is dimed and the level is also 4-6. I also use, as in the recent recording, a Fender Mustang I, in this case on the twin model, volume 6 master 5 with just a little bit of gain (2) and reverb, tone controls just about flat, with a teeny tiny bit of treble boost. Slight variations with different intent and different guitars. I like the Strat brassy sounding, the Dot Deluxe less boomy etc. and adjust the parameters as needed.
    ;>)/

12. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I use a Fender Mustang IV, so I use a number of different settings. With that said, my three favorites are carefully tweaked models of the Marshall 1959 SLP, the Marshall JCM 800, and the Mesa Dual Rec in "vintage" gain settings. For cleans, I use a '65 Twin model, and for browned semi-cleans I use a '57 Twin model.

I have to use the volumes at 10 on the 1959 model, otherwise, the gain gets sorta weak. But I'm finding that when I swap over to any of the other ones, I can get smoother tones by tweaking the volumes. When I'm using just the bridge or just the neck, though, I have a hard time finding a good sound with the tone knobs less than 10... Perhaps that reflects a poor amp EQ. :hmm:

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

MUSTANGS ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clifdawg likes this.
  14. Paully

Paully Active Member

Get a Pinto, Maverick, Mustang II, but brother get a horse. :dude:

15. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I was taking the high road on this one. Too easy.