What do you think of P90s?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by EbySlide1014, Jul 29, 2017.

1. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Lots of crazy stuff being written in this thread.

I haven't been playing either humbuckers or P90 for longer than a few months. So limited knowledge but I play both my humbucker equipped SGs and P90 LPs about evenly everyday or about 90 min each. I'm picking up a P90 equipped SG tomorrow and it's all I'll be playing this month. That said here's a few of my unbiased observations.

First off they can sound very different and they can sound remarkably similar depending on how they are dialed in, playing style, amps, pedal...like all my guitars. My Jr has the most spirit and the raunchiest sounding P90 and I've had to adjust my playing style to really tame and stay in control of its screeching tendencies, I see that as an asset to the type of sound I like to make. Both my P90 guitars are used for high gain, in your face, aggressive hardcore/ punk style stuff. It's what I play and they come alive playing that genre, make me feel like the guitar is playing me at times.

So yes high gain is doable with P90s, in fact I def prefer it. But I can also get some awesome sounding classic rock riffs cranking with my DC LP that make my knees wobble and put a mile wide grin on my face, nighbors be damned and with my vox, some awesome chiming melodic chord progressions that are you just beautiful.

If your not convinced check out any of Guy Picciotto's playing from 1989-93 on Fugazi's landmark Repeater Album. he was playing a DC Junior LP during this time, tat eventually got stolen. Its one of my favorite albums and his playing is pure melodic dissonance. P90s rock. Check it out live here starting at 3:08

sazista and SG standard like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Not through high distortion pedals, more like Angus Young gain with no pedals, I actually shielded the cavities in the guitar with copper foil and wax potted the pickups which made a difference, I get big thick tone but still get that cycle hum I don't like.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

You've got it right. Playing with conation, hands on the controls instead of pressing autodrive. That is the beginning of mastery.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Well said.

5. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Absolutely right - but I'd also add in, depending on how you're expecting them to sound...

Must admit I'd tended to ignore P90s in the past - I've no idea why. But they get talked about a lot here & the GAS was building, so when I saw this one at a good discount, which also had a Railhammer, another pup design I really wanted to check out, I couldn't resist.
    [​IMG]

The P90 is great, but it was the Railhammer that really blew me away.... Still, when I saw Yamaha SGs at a massive discount a few months later I didn't hesitate to think about the lovely vintage white humbucker version, I immediately grabbed the gold top P90:
    [​IMG]
    No regrets, it's one of the best sounding guitars I own - It's not as versatile as some, but I just love what it does - so much that it's yet to spend any time in it's case. :)

Thing is, I can't even begin to work out how much difference there is between the P90s on these two - because there's a huge difference between the guitars themselves; one with a korina body & neck, the other a massive slab of mahogany with a maple cap. I'm not sure it really makes sense to talk about P90s in such generalised way: Some P90s in some guitars might sound amazing, whilst other P90s in other guitars might sound uninspiring.

Whatever, some folks are going to love 'em (that's why they've been around so long), others will loath them, that's just how different people are...

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Nice acquisitions !

SG standard and drown like this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

8. drown

drown Well-Known Member

And my new P90 SG Naked

Attached Files:

9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

wow, that's almost indecent! I would love to have one
    of those.

drown likes this.
  10. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Also if you're a fan of SGs and P-90s keep an eye out for the 2011 "1961" 50th anniversary Epi SG Specials.

[​IMG]

They also come in black. Thin, fast, set necks, bound fretboard, wraptail bridge. It's like travelling back in time, but much cheaper.

11. drown

drown Well-Known Member

It's been quite indecent to play. I've had to leave her behind for a few days while on a bus. trip and i've got quite the separation anxiety.

Col Mustard likes this.
  12. Paully

Paully Active Member

I've got P90's in an €pi L.P..
    Nothing like the P90's sound. :-}

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  13. sazista

sazista Active Member

FANTASTIC. Fugazi were the bomb!! Saw them first in 1987, then in 89. I didn't realize that it was Guy's guitar with that intro. I always liked the sound of it. Ian gave that SG neck a workout. I think that was the one he said he snapped the neck on. I'm toying with idea of a 2016 Standard with P90s (haven't tried it yet, and hesitant). I've been a humbucker die-hard all my life. My Epi 310 (which I LOVE, has Jazz/JB configuration with push/pull in series/parallel action and my Gibson SG 2002 Faded has the 490s, standard. I am trying to sell the Gibson. I play some really heavy stuff (a la Fugazi) to cleaner sounds (Zounds, Meat Puppets) and require clarity of notes and tone, not mud. I also play Middle Eastern tinged themes, so versatility is a must. If you're interested, here's a song I posted last year, played on the Epi with stock pickups.

14. LDS

LDS Member

The way I understand it, and FWIW I'm pretty good a being wrong myself, is that the minis were 'invented' so they could put out into production a bunch of old Les Paul bodies that they found in the back of the warehouse somewhere that had originally been routed for P90s. Evidently, it cost less at the time to put together a "modern" humbucker that fit the routes in the bodies than it would have to route them for full-sized humbuckers. But like I said, that's just what I've been told about the origin of the Les Paul Deluxe...

15. pedecamp

I dont know...

Meanwhile since last week I had my truss rod repaired and got a full setup on my P90 guitar, I've been playing it alot and find I'm liking my P90's much more now than I previously did. This is the first time this guitar actually feels and plays well, I take back everything I said about P90's!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Then I take back everything I said about what you said.:naughty:

pedecamp likes this.
  17. pedecamp

Thanks Biddlin old buddy! :cheers:

18. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

love it... don't we love it when people get along?
    It makes a better banquet IMHO.
    Why cain't the whole rest of the country follow our
    lead here.

But when it comes to music, I still feel that the pickups
    can only pick up what their owner is puttin' down. You can give a good guitar player an SG or a Telecaster or a Hellraiser and he'll sound like himself on it. You can spin it or wobble it or delay it after that, but that's where it begins. ...with the pick (or the b'ar fingers). ...and the bell-like tone.

I also feel that setup makes a huge contribution to the tone that a player can get... MAYBE more so than the pickups. ....(and maybe not)
    IMHO a well setup Epiphone is a more useful instrument than a poorly setup Gibson costing ten times as much.

Give me a choice between P-90s and Humbuckers and
    my choice is: GIMME BOTH... do I want steak or lobster, do I want Gibson or Epiphone, do I want Karen or her sister Sharon, do I want a shot or a beer... ETSG wisdom guides us through all of life's choices: GIMME BOTH please.

So owning two Epiphones, one with hum buckers and one with P-90s
    is still recommended, especially for a slide player.

The only thing that could beat having a matched pair is maybe one of those Variax guitars with a set of robot tuners. That would be a good solution for the hardworking and underpaid guitarist who plays in several bands, and needs to be able to play Rockabilly on Wednesday night, Blues on Thursday night, Country on Friday night, Rock an Roll on Saturday night, Gospel on Sundae morning and Jazz on Sundae afternoons. What a life, eh? But one P-90 equipped SG could do all that, if her owner could. Robot tuners and a Railhammer might help too.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  19. Paully

Paully Active Member

I don't know about how or why. But, my P90's RAWWWKKK.

0409181711.jpg

20. NomeX

NomeX Member

I love my 61 Reissue. I wish the neck was a little thicker like my 1966 G-400, but it is the same as my Gibson Future Tribute SG. I was looking for a Gibson 50's tribute because I hear they have a thicker neck and P-90's. I recently picked up an SG Fusion. I like the maple neck, but I wish the heel was a little nicer .