What is a "nitrocellulose finish"?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DoodoaXD, Jul 11, 2014.

1. DoodoaXD

DoodoaXD Well-Known Member

Apparently my stand has this foam that isn't friendly to guitars with this finish. Does an SG Special non faded have this finish? I've heard that really expensive guitars have this, so probably not mine. Thanks!

2. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Yes, your Gibson does have a nitro finish, so you have to be careful about certain chemical reactions, apparently (I haven't run into this, but then I only lean mine against case fur or something wood based). Some people have sweat that doesn't get along with nitro.

Rusty Chops and 58pit like this.
  3. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

Lacquer...

10-12 coats leveled and polished for high gloss finish. Time consuming and labor intensive, so more expensive.

I think the new sgj's and others , use a matte or satin finish lacquer.

Faded's and melody makers do not use grain filler before the lacquer, therefore the lacquer sinks into the grain.

As far as I know, Gibson always has and still does use nitrocellulose lacquer for all guitars.

If you're concerned about the foam on your stand, lay a washcloth over the foam part that the guitar touches.
    Once it's fully cured, it shouldn't be a problem.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  4. DoodoaXD

Oh no, my hands sweat like a river...

5. LeadFinger

That's not a dealbreaker; not all sweat is the same. Only that in some cases the acidity or whatever in an individual's sweat can react with the nitro in some way.

Apocryphal tip heard on guitar boards, so I don't know what the "scientific" criteria are. If you're sweating on the guitar now and everything is fine, chances are you have "nitro friendly" sweat lol. I do remember from painting cars with it, that some types of tree sap, or bug guts, or berry juice could burn a nitro finish, but wouldn't touch a factory Ford finish. You had to be careful which types of wax to use, that sort of thing.

Nitro isn't like urethane, though, it does react to UV, sweat, certain cleaning agents and other things differently. It's more sensitive in general. But I likes it!

6. DoodoaXD

The guitar still didn't come here yet, but I realized that my hand won't be touching the guitars body, mostly the pickguard and neck.

7. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

well, don't let your guitar rest on this stand, cause it will leave marks on the finish..but you can do nothing about the sweat.just play it as soon as it arrives and dont care.

myself wouldnot leave my guitar on a stand that can hurt my precious guitar, but the damage that will or might be caused by my sweat, is something i don't really care,cause a guitar is made for playing her.if your sweat attacks the finish, then be happy cause this means that your guitar was played and served her purpose..

let me tell you also, that i like the marks that are created on the guitar due to playing
    you can understand which guitar guitar has been left unplayed after ten years, and which guitar has been used after ten years

my point, dont let your guitar be damaged, but dont care about the marks that your hands wil leave on your guitar after a lot of usage. these are honest and damn sexy marks

when you get her, please post a lot of pictures of her. we love pictures of SGs

dampsneaker, shreddy bender and 58pit like this.
  8. DoodoaXD

Will do man, I like the way you think of guitars. :)

ypnos likes this.
  9. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

also, given that you live in Egypt, pay attention to direct sunlight (UV) exposure, sea salted air and smoke

10. jaysmall

jaysmall New Member

Sweat, body oils etc. may react with nitro finishes, but you can reduce the impact by wiping down the guitar with a clean cotton cloth after you're done playing.

They do make nitro-friendly stands, but I don't know if they guarantee them. I have cotton cloth wrapped around the rubber on mine to protect the nitro finish.

I've heard nitro never completely cures ... it just dries. Not sure if that's true.

11. DoodoaXD

I don't usually play out when it's sunny, and I don't live best to the beach, but thanks!

I guess I'll put something on the stand like a cloth or whatever, or probably get a new stand.

12. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

Isn't Alexandria on the seaside??

A cloth on the stand foam/rubber will do just fine. Keep in mind that nitro also reacts to the material (leather, fake leather) your strap is made of, so take it off when you are not playing and to excessive temperature peaks and changes. You live in a very hot area therefore watch out if you get in an air conditioned room from a hot place, and dont leave the guitar, even in its case, in places where the temperature might get high (like trunk of your car).

13. DoodoaXD

Alex is at the seashore, but I live far away from where the beach is. It's pretty hard to explain. But I'll keep an eye out for all the things you said. (Or All The Things She Said) *waits for someone to get the reference*

Col Mustard and Alex_SG like this.
  14. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

I understand Jagermeister in the sweat counteracts this nitro sweat/allergy. That being said, all mine are holding up nicely.

ypnos, LeadFinger and Dadou like this.
  15. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

....and Jack Daniel's in the neck pocket improves sustain in bolt-on guitars.

another derailing thread?

58pit likes this.
  16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Switch to Whiskey Pit, or RUM!

58pit likes this.
  17. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Oh don't worry ole buddy Jack Dan is a GREAT freind of mine as well.

18. DoodoaXD

Don't mean to sound like an idiot but um... What's Jagermeister and whatever you guys are talking about?

19. LeadFinger

It's the road to perdition, DoodoaXD. They are suggesting that the degenerate alcohol abuser produces sweat that is friendly to Gibson finishes.

While I have no scientific proof of that, I do have some real world experience with these methods, and conclude that your guitar may look better, but would sound like crap. Costs and benefits, lol.

20. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

That's OK Doodoa, I'm not quite sure what perdition means, so don't feel pregnant.

LeadFinger likes this.