WHAT? John Lennon on an SG? With Frank Zappa?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by Kevy Nova, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

2. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

No-one told you about it because they didn't want to subject you
    to Yoko's total destruction of the performance. :(

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

never seen that one either and cool to see John sporting an SG. re yoko... I try not to hate so will just say I do not think she was good for the beatles and in fact helped break them up. Not a fan of her but I am a big fan of the Beatles and think John was a great lyric writer.

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

that's interesting... thanks kevy for posting this. I also feel that it's too easy to blame Yoko, there was a lot more wrong in the band than any one person could be responsible for. and John certainly loved her, that's real. any of us who've been pro performers while trying to maintain some kind of normal relationship with a good woman... well, we can relate to how much you can be conflicted. that makes it hard to practice, and to show up for publicity things, and to give up time at home to do marginal gigs... etc.

Having said all that fair minded stuff, I'll get it off my chest: The woman couldn't sing a lick, and should not have tried. Her voice is irritating and repellent. I actually can't listen to anything where she's given a microphone. I'm a beatle fan, there it is. "Better run for your life if you can, little girl..."

I'll bet one of the things that John found fascinating about Yoko was that she wasn't impressed by the Beatles. It may sound weird, but those guys were probably tired of 'beatlemania' and thought the girls shrieking and swooning were nut cases. So dig me up a video of John Lennon jamming on an SG with Janis Joplin... I'd like that. One of the guys in Big Brother & the Holding Company played one, if I remember right. He prolly would have loaned it to John. (but NOT PETE!)
    Janis is the one who said, "I make love to 10,000 people, and then go home alone." Lennon would have understood that. 'watchin' the wheels go round and round..."

Kevy Nova likes this.
  5. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

[quote author=Col Mustard link=topic=22110.msg264416#msg264416 date=1328500180]
    that's interesting... thanks kevy for posting this. I also feel that it's too easy to blame Yoko, there was a lot more wrong in the band than any one person could be responsible for. and John certainly loved her, that's real. any of us who've been pro performers while trying to maintain some kind of normal relationship with a good woman... well, we can relate to how much you can be conflicted. that makes it hard to practice, and to show up for publicity things, and to give up time at home to do marginal gigs... etc.

Having said all that fair minded stuff, I'll get it off my chest: The woman couldn't sing a lick, and should not have tried. Her voice is irritating and repellent. I actually can't listen to anything where she's given a microphone. I'm a beatle fan, there it is. "Better run for your life if you can, little girl..."

I'll bet one of the things that John found fascinating about Yoko was that she wasn't impressed by the Beatles. It may sound weird, but those guys were probably tired of 'beatlemania' and thought the girls shrieking and swooning were nut cases. So dig me up a video of John Lennon jamming on an SG with Janis Joplin... I'd like that. One of the guys in Big Brother & the Holding Company played one, if I remember right. He prolly would have loaned it to John. (but NOT PETE!)
    Janis is the one who said, "I make love to 10,000 people, and then go home alone." Lennon would have understood that. 'watchin' the wheels go round and round..."
    [/quote]

I agree with every word here. Except all three guys in Big Brother played SGs! The lead player played a Special, the rhythm player played a Standard and the bassist, well, you know.

6. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Frank even told everyone what key it's in and Yoko still can't get a handle on it.

I don't care if you're John Lennon. Bringing your girlfriend onstage is a no no. Especially if she sings like a dying cat.

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=22110.msg264437#msg264437 date=1328581638]
    Frank even told everyone what key it's in and Yoko still can't get a handle on it.

I don't care if you're John Lennon. Bringing your girlfriend onstage is a no no. Especially if she sings like a dying cat.
    [/quote]

Yoko and John....Linda and Paul.....the women should have either learned to play or stayed offstage.
    Yoko actually had a background as an early "performance artist" and also "sang" in avant-garde music situations. Zappa may have dug that, although I am certainly not a fan of the woman's otherworldly banshee vocal stylings.

and then there's this...
    Yoko Ono ruins chuck Berry's song
    from
    Chuck Berry & (John Lennon and Yoko Ono) - Memphis Tennessee

8. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

In fairness, Chuck usually has that facial expression when he's playing ;D

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Good point - but Yoko didn't help!

10. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

Word!
    Link Wray "Rumble"; Conan O'Brian 1998 - YouTube

Well, at least she's quiet.
    There was another video though, where she kept beating that tambourine totally out of time and was generally annoying, but cant find it...

11. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

12. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Re the Beatles split.

I agree with Col M.

It wasn't down to Yoko, and was more about Paul clinging to the "Pop Star" thing.

John and George were tired of it, and had other things to do.

It's all there in "Let it Be", and can be summed up by George's

" Just tell me what you want me to play, and I'll play it.".

Paul, of course loved the limelight, and still does.

Kevy Nova likes this.
  13. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Did you see Macca pulling that sort of "Beatlemania-era" face behind the Queen while she made her speech at the Jubilee concert the other week? Did he look a prick or what?

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I had a hard time looking at the image of Sir Paul, playing that Union Jack Hofner, snuggling up to the Queen.

"Imagine" what John would say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevy Nova likes this.
  15. Tah-lee

Tah-lee Member

I just noticed the mention of Frnak Zappa at the start of this thread...

...Frank inspired me to buy my first SG, the '76 Custom I still own. I love his music.

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

One of my 8th grade influences....apart from the guitar, he also inspired me to learn to read and write and arrange music.

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

a working class hero is something to be...

Biddlin and Kevy Nova like this.
  18. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

:laugh2:

19. stdio

stdio Member

Whatever actually happened between John and Yoko, I would swear she must have been a Dr. Landy (ala Brian Wilson) to him when they first met. He was out of his gourd, taking tons of LSD at the time.

20. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

i couldn't see it. we are band here in uk because of emi copyright or something, crap:dunno: