WHAT? John Lennon on an SG? With Frank Zappa?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by Kevy Nova, Feb 5, 2012.

1. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

I don't know bro, when he let her do a solo, hard to imagine what he was thinking, they call that love. :applause:

Personal feeling is she should have been banned from the musical areas.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    dbb likes this.
  2. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Why yoko ono... She's scary... Everytime I listen to any recording where she's shrieking like that, makes me feel scared, like a Jap horror movie!

3. stdio

stdio Member

I really don't know either, guys are basically dumb, when their needs are met (myself included). He used to hail her as a genius and an equal.

I'm probably also getting irritable before Thanksgiving dinner, so will stop there. Happy Thanksgiving all!

4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Well I am late to this party as it came up on a Frank Zappa search (I'm looking for info on his SG & the new Zappa SG now out) and found nobody has entered a post since Nov 2012. Tho I was looking for Zappa, I had to watch the John Lennon clips as well as some additional stuff on youtube after my interest was peaked. I will be honest & tell you all when I first heard Yoko do her vocalization I actually was surprised and it caused me to physically jump from the inappropriate scream that burst out of the computer while Chuck Berry was singing.

Frankly, I find her 'artistry' to be utter bull$#1t, inappropriate and outright insulting (to everyone). Is her 'art' being as rude and offensive as possible and using your status with John Lennon to get away with doing just what she did here with Chuck Berry?

Didn't John ever have the forthright honesty to tell her that those noises she makes simply do not fit in with or compliment the songs (like this one) in any way at all? She had to be the biggest joke going at the time. For him to be so taken and fooled by her to be a party to it and enabling her 'artistic' abominations to take place is just disgusting and shows how love can blind people to things. It now is no wonder why some had such problems & issue with these two people.

Lets look at this vid as an example and question how John Lennon or any other professional could have allowed this to happen. First of all, Yoko starts off playing a hand held type of drum which has a mic on it. She then stops playing the drum (unprofessional act #1) and repositions the mic so she can scream her vocalizations into it (unprofessional act #2). She then screams a completely inappropriate & startling vocal type scream into the mic which wasn't on the original recording nor did it compliment the live version in anyway and was about as out of place as anything I could think of hearing during this rendition. (unprofessional act #3) She thens repositions the mic back to the drum angle and goes back to playing the drum (U.P.A. #5). Artist my A$$. She is a disrespectful joke of a performer in this vid as I see her. Anyone that truly loved her wouldnt allow her to continue to make a fool of themselves or express their 'art' in a way that makes them a joke. Her 'art' does not belong in an already established Chuch Berry song.

The fact that John Lennon allowed this disrespectful act to occur repeatedly and not be honest and brave enough to tell someone he supposedly loves that what she is doing is wrong in so many ways is puzzling to me. Was he so jaded & hurt by his musical experiences that he enjoyed the uncomfortable pain that Yoko caused others?

It really makes me wonder if it was some inside joke between the two of them like one of these TV shows that plays pranks on people. Why would anybody ever perform with Yoko Nono knowing she is going to crap on that performance?

Fortunately this was just a couple of years before my time, although I was alive, I had no exposure to this media at the time. I remember hearing people go off about this wacky foreigner and always thought they had to be exaggerating or hating her for some reason. I had no idea she really was this offensive, inappropriate & frankly disrespectful. Holy crap! It all makes so much sense now. This beotch was a walking insult. I'm surprised she didn't get hers handed to her by somebody. Maybe she did & I just don't know about it. I cant believe I'm writing about this nutty bitch 35 years after the vid. Well after her offending days that were enabled to happen by JL and only allowed to happen because of her relationship with him has occurred. I cant believe he allowed her to repeatedly do that crap to people. How narcissistic. Who really wants to be famous? I think it changes people in ways that we are better off not knowing.

5. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Yeah dude... I hate Yoko as well. And I hate Paul McCartney.

6. MKR

MKR Well-Known Member

it's because John loved her and his love blinded him from her suckiness. That's it. No inside joke, no hidden motives. Let's not forget that John was a fan of her art. Her ideas were pretty out there and he considered her his creative equal. John was part of the whole 'bagism' thing. He went through a primal scream phase himself so he probably thought her yelping around on stage was some kind of effective expression.

Also, they did a lot of creative projects together. Have you listened to The wedding album? Two virgins? It's a lot of nonsense and obviously John though something of it to put his name on it.

Kevy Nova likes this.
  7. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

As much as I can't stand to listen to her singing, I can't bring myself to hate Yoko simply because John loved her and she was the inspiration for many of his best love songs.

8. MKR

MKR Well-Known Member

I was watching rock and roll circus this morning on my way to work on my ipod and laughed a bit at that 'whole lot of yoko' or whatever it was called song. I think this would have been her coming out party as a singer. Given the high standard of all the other performaces and even the other musicians on that one song (clapton, Mitch mitchell, Keef, john), i don't know how she wouldn't feel embarrassed watching that after the fact.

9. Relic61

For me the big question is how could JL not be up front with or educate someone he supposedly loved about certain things like respecting other performers songs, complimenting the song when it & being a professional. There was nothing professional about here performance with Chuck Berry. Beyond the inappropriate vocalizing over top of him while he was singing she also stopped playing her instrument, paused to move the mic to yell her 'whatever it was" into it then move the mic back down to drum level and go back to playing the drum. Its just a joke. Was this the intent? Was it more than a joke?

To be so blinded, bullied or bull$#itted into thinking this was enjoyable for anyone, enlightening on any level or anything other than shockingly inappropriate, insulting and disrespectful causes me to see him as an enabler of this sham artist, regardless of whatever else he did. Doing wonderful things isn't a permission slip to do things like this to others. To me it was an abuse of power, position, fame & notoriety and has allowed me to see Mr Lennon in a whole new light & in a way I never cared to ever think of him as. It is obvious, no one had the gnads to stand up to these two at this time. Too much respect and putting someone on a pedestal of reverence isn't always a good thing. He put his pants on one leg at a time like everybody else. While I appreciate his musical & other championed contributions to this world, the being the enabler who allowed Yoko to do this to other people strikes me as an extremely perverse & sad thing on so many levels.

All that said, I can respect others for wanting to keep him pure & untarnished by whatever you want to call whatever it was that Yoko did. Just make no mistake, she only got to do what she did to so many people and performers because of John Lennon. Without his being a part of this, none of these abominations ever would have occurred and I seriously doubt we would even know who the so claimed "artist" Yoko is.

10. MKR

MKR Well-Known Member

i think this is a bit harsh and over the top. For one thing John and Yoko were heavily criticized. The were pretty regularily blasted by the media and critics and her 'act' wasn't very popular with other musicians (George didn't want him on the bangladesh concert if yoko was to come too). So to say that Lennon was abusing his power... i wouldn't say that. i mean it was what it was a woman screaming in the name of bad art. some people found it interesting and many found it annoying... and also i'm sure most people and performers weren't personally disrespected by it. They probably shook their heads at it and left it at that. Like i don't think Chuck Berry took it as a huge insult to his music... he probably just thought "man this chick is crazy" and carried on playing.

Kevy Nova likes this.
  11. Relic61

It was a different time than now, a much more tolerant time. I kind of remembering there being a lot of weird people back then. Just out there & wacky off their rocker type people. Peace & love were the catch words man. Lots of people like Chuck were really 'hip' to the scene and a fruitcake like Yoko was a product of the times and not the first one he's met or the last.

I'm not a Chuck Berry & I have met more weird people when playing music then I care to acknowledge or remember. I think most people who have been playing since the 70's could surely say the same thing. Frankly, I find people today to come off as much more stable and less out of it. Sure they are still there if you look but it is much less acceptable today. Thank goodness for that. You can keep the Yokos thank you.

12. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

I humbly disagree with some opinions here on Paul.

I myself don't like Lennon. I'm kinda opposite to most in this thread.

But the thing is, I don't really hate john (although I do loathe what yoko has indirectly or directly done to them all).

Problem is: John was some kind of overdeveloped hippie, all he wanted was to change the world. Paul, from my point of view, was a musician. I'd dare to say, one of the two best musicians in the Beatles, along with George.

Musically speaking, I consider Paul a genius, the guy can produce a good album by composing AND playing all the instruments in the studio. If he loves the limelight, well, don't all good musicians who live by their guitars? They deserve the limelight. It was their goal in the first place, wasn't it?

Damn, John was way too much into Yoko and all that "peace & love politics" stuff (ok it's beautiful, it's noble, I agree with them! But I'm talking about the BAND itself, Lennon and Yoko were never the centre of the world), while Paul wanted to remain in a band and play good music too. Can we blame Richards, Jagger, Young, Page, and so on as well?

I don't believe so.

BTW I think neither John nor Paul could keep up with the entire Beatles era quality after they broke up, but the fact is, I can listen to Wings, it's good music to my ears, Paul is a good composer, but I just can't stand anything John composed. Imagine makes me want to leave the room. It's a poor "let it be" alter ego try.

I've seen Paul live, but I wouldn't go to a Starr concert, and definitely wouldn't even think of going to a Lennon's, if I was of age back then.
    Just my opinion...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    Relic61 likes this.
  13. old mark

old mark Active Member

I think Yoko got far too much blame for that breakup...it was YEARS in the making, and I doubt she had much effect on it, if any...I think she was very good for John, and he was good for her, too.

The Beatles had already had a near breakup a year or so before the end, in fact several even earlier than that, and the last album was really the end of it. Everyone was pretty tired of it all, and none of them really wanted to continue...it was McCartney's ego that held it together for the last year or so.

I think they were all quite happy to become solo artists, and really all of them did pretty well at that.
    Relic, while I agree with a lot of what you wrote, I think too many people today are stilted, dull, conservative and boring and I really miss the old days a lot...the other side of that is that I am the only living member of the band I had in high school...it was a harder time to survive, but it was not boring.

mark

14. Relic61

Sergio, I feel you on nearly all of what you are saying. Sometimes folks get touchy when talking about the dead or not Keeping JL on that pedestal. We all have the right to see things as we do don't we.?. I actually can still enjoy listening to some of JL's music and can appreciate it while separating his music from his need to inflict his opinion on the world. While peace and love are the noblest of causes, there is and inherent narcissism that can accompany fame and there is no denying that JL used his fame to the fullest to get his opinions & views out there. Certainly this is where Paul & John differed as people.

I always have seen the overbearing artist with a disdain while realizing that I never would have heard their damn opinions if not for their fame that came from somewhere else like a successful music career. I also realize that their fame has given them a skewed view on the world because of their being removed from a 'normal' persons reality. Lets face it, famous people are catered to, over indulged and surrounded by enablers & yes men, all leading to an extreme narcissism if one isn't aware. Throw drugs into the mix and things can get even weirder. John & Yoko were pretty weird. I just cant look at Yoko and not see a cunning, scheming & manipulative malcontent that used JL's fame to get what she wanted. Her crapping on others performances annoys the poop out of me because I see her this way. It's the old poop sandwich theory, don't feed me bulls#!t and tell me its steak. I really don't see Yoko as being a person with a nice inner being or having a kind heart. Her being famous gives me permission to hold and speak that view of her.

Would John have been better without her? Still Alive? Could someone else have brought him as strong a love & happiness? Been his muse? Would the world be a better place without Yoko? Would we miss the moon if we blew it up? I can almost answer an honest yes to all as I see her as a blackened side note in history forever attatched and made possible because of JL's fame & position. A joke and a sham. I don't see her as being portrayed with any fondness after her time has come & gone and her footnotes are written. Sigh ya frickin nora wack job! Hey, I really do wish I didn't feel this way about her, but I do. And it is all her fault for she did what she has done & is not one for remorse or apology. Sounds like my ex. I'd like to forget both of them honestly. Too late!

15. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Myself, I'm not too keen on Donald Trump. :)