What kind of dirt pedals y'all playing?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by gtone, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Haven't you gotten tired of the whole battery thing yet? You know, the expense, the performance loss when they get weak and the fail when they get real weak and won't work at all. And God help ya if you dont happen to have an extra with ya.

Hey, I'm right there with ya man. I lasted & held out about 30 years before I bought a multi plug power source and even chose some to mount some favs on a pedal board. (hey I figured why not jump in all the way huh). But in hindsight I'm glad I went with the 1Spot and left the battery hassles behind me. If the amp can get power, so can the pedals. No battery expense and no battery fail. Just hot current making everything operate optimally & sounding correct.

Granted your Klone takes 18v so my 1Spot isn't the multi power answer but that Klone may be also the beginning of the surrendering of the old ways and for allowing other things to come in and switch life up a bit, maybe even making some things better.

Enjoy that Klone. Glad to hear you like it so much.

2. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

I'm still using batteries but not by choice! Any time I have money it's already spoken for and i can't find adapters for my two pedals when i do actually have a few bucks to spare. Sure they die and the sound quality fades with battery age but they are so cheap when you need them!
    I am cheap. Here's an example: I walk into the music store after playing guitar for 20 years and ask to see the tuners. He shows me a Korg for 30 bucks and i buy my first tuner ever! When I told him he sold me my first tuner ever he laughed and said "Yup, we all come to the realization we need a tuner eventually."
    My pedal board is waiting for adapters but I just haven't had the chance to buy them. Crap! I only need 2!

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

The 1Spot has got to be the best buy for more than one pedal ever devised for the price. With the addition of a single adapter I can run my Almighty RAT, and a few others that remained after the big sell off and like Barry said "Just hot current making everything operate optimally & sounding correct." And this simple device has powered well over 9 pedals at once for me and never even hiccuped with this sort of load on it. And it filters out most AC noises with ease too. Many of the "Block" style adapter devices will let some AC buzz sneak in and make ya sound like you're playing in a sawmill.... Now I save those 9V batteries for my rangefinder when I'm out shooting up my woods with the critters that like to sneak in!:naughty:

dbb likes this.
  4. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Relic61 - I have a custom built Logsdon Audio power supply with 4 X 9V, 18V and 24V isolated power feeds (Joe Logsdon, a truly wonderful soul and great tech, only charged me $89 for that build), but I don't take a pedalboard out any more - far too much kit for the gigs I'm playing where I only want a single pedal (or two). As such, almost every pedal I've bought lately MUST have a battery as I don't want the bother of a wallwart, or worse - the Logsdon 'brick' as extra baggage when I'm playing a jam session/open mic where I'm playing what I carry in two hands.

The Klone only requires 9VDC external power, but there's something about the charge pump requiring 18V, so apparently the circuit itself converts from 9 to 18V internally (or something to that effect). Notwithstanding, I did try to do my homework on this issue and I found out that some Klone builders were using batteries with these with some success. I specifically asked the guy I got the TurnipFarmFX Klone on trade if this one took a battery and he indicated that it did. Was disappointed when it showed up w/out battery capability and told him so. He just acted surprised that it didn't, nothing more, but in his defence, he was clearing out a lot of pedals and could have been confused. Anyhoo, the Klone's saving grace (and lucky for him), it sounds very good with my big amp, as I can still use it my music room with the Logsdon brick. Besides that, I got a very favourable trade deal from him, so I couldn't complain too much...

5. tolm

tolm Active Member

On my 'board (powered by a Eventide PowerFactor!) I have:

- ZVex Fuzz Factory
    - MXR Micro Amp (used to boost the following pedals)
    - ZVex Double Rock
    - Fulltone OCD

I also have a DigiTech Bad Monkey kicking around at home for random use and I just picked up an EHX Soul Food which is absolutely awesome.

6. Relic61

It's good to know there was more to this and some real depth behind your rational. Without knowing all that it seemed rather silly on the surface level. But I've been silly myself with lots a $#!t and have also dragged my feet lots of times when it came to gettin with the advancement & technology available for us guitars players. What a difference some background info makes.

It all makes me think of those volume (or was it tone) pot mountable effect modules that came out a couple years back. I always wondered if they were any good because the idea & convenience behind it would be wonderful if it worked really well. I wonder if anybody here ever tried any of those & what their opinion of it was?

7. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Previously:
    • Boss od1
    • Boss ds2
    • Marshall governor
    Currently:
    • Fulltone OCD
    • Analogman sun face fuzz
    • Tube screamer TS808
    I seem to have progressively moved towards lower distortion levels. Think The TS best suits my playing and preferred sound

8. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

I used to have this... two spanish made tubescrimer 808 clones

[​IMG]

And finished with this one... f*****g amazing

[​IMG]

But I left all in Madrid, Spain

Now, in London I use this one :dude:

[​IMG]

9. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Been rocking my Maestro Fuzz and my Zvex Distortron thru my Champ all morning. They do different things, but both are great fun.

Alex_SG likes this.
  10. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Man..there's been sooo many..NYC Big Muff has been the main one..with various boosts, but pretty much goes Fulltone Fat-Boost>Muff..used to be Homebrew Germania (Rangemaster clone)>EHX LPB-1>Muff
    Gotta be true bypass too..I realize the sound I really wanna get, is the classic JMP Marshall grind, so the pedals have to be transparent and not color the signal..my old Muff was not, and pulling it from the chain really opened things up quite a bit..("new one" is the Rev A circuit with true bypass from 2001)

bwotw likes this.
  11. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

How do you use the Muff with the JMP? Set the ampl cleanish and use it as a main distortion? Or dirty amp and just as a boost for solos? I tried a Bif Muff with mine and couldn't get a good sound (the only fuzz I've liked so far with the 2203 is actually the Behringer Ultra Fuzz :laugh2: but the case's so filmsy I'd never use it live)

As for me, just your regular Boss SD-1 and an EHX LPB1 boost. I'm in the process of adding an EHX Soul Food (that may put the SD1 off the board) and another boost pedal that doesn't cut the high end (as the LPB1 does do that a bit)

Kris Ford likes this.
  12. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Other dirt boxes come and go as I love dirt boxes, but these two are forever staples on my board. They never leave. If I can't get the driven tone I want from these two either alone or combined, then it's not worth it to me to try.
    [​IMG]

A side note: I have never been interested in those pedals that cost hundreds of dollars. I honestly believe that they're a waste of money, and target those the believe their tone is measured in the amount spent rather than the practical end of common sense. I know some "pedal snobs" that look upon ANY pedal that costs less than $250 as a cheap piece of junk. If it's closer to $400 or more then that's a good pedal. So sad. :dunno:

13. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Preaching to the choir about the Rat Wade! It's my only pedal I CANNOT do without. There is a world of sounds in that little 3 knob black monster!
    I've never tried a Bad Monkey but I've read the praises you and others have given it. I'd like to try one some day. I probably wouldn't buy one though as the Rat covers every thing that I am looking for in a distortion pedal but maybe the Bad Monkey has something I didn't know I need:hmm:.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  14. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

Right now on the board I have an EHX Soul Food (Klon Centaur budget clone), "woodcutter" Rat, Ampeg Scrambler (octave fuzz; home-built), and a modded Joyo Vintage Overdrive (TS-808 clone).

I've also built three Big Muff clones: triangle, ram's head, and green Russian. The triangle was the sweetest, but I gave it to a friend. The ram's head was a little too much, but it'd probably be great for a stoner metal band. The green Russian was in between, and I used it for a while but the mid scoop was too much and I haven't gotten around to modding it.

15. Kris Ford

Dirty amp, preamp maxed..volume and sustain on Muff maxed, tone in between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock.:dude:

16. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Well, like I said somewhere above, I mostly use the Danelectro for most overdriven tones...

I also had a very cheap Groovin' distortion pedal, which was my first pedal ever, I bought it when I had no idea how it all worked, but it did help me.

Anyway, I just got myself a Marshall Jackhammer, because I needed a more versatile pedal so that I can scoop the mids and crank the bass for some sounds I'm currently doing in a band I'm jamming with.

So, I am thinking of having a pedal just for boosting soloes, but I've heard that the Danelectro is no good for that, although I think any dirt pedal with a gain and a volume knob can be used that way... :dunno:

I'll try.

17. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

I'm back to the '90's-vintage FX-86B, for every reason one can think of....
    The Boss Metal(whatever) pedals tried recently are simply PUNY in comparison.....and they need some kind of boost to get going good.
    FX-86B stand's alone, and a Noise Redux pedal take's care of any minor noise issues.
    Remember....people say it's the "worst pedal in the world" :)

Attached Files:

18. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

So here's what I'm currently using for each amp setup:

Phaez Daisycutter - no pedals
    '70 Marshall JMP - choice of AM Beano Boost, Distortion+, Rat or line out from Phaez
    '66 Bassman - choice of Rat, Distortion+ or line out from Phaez
    Vintage47 Supreme - AM Beano Boost or Distortion+

I have two D+'s now - a modern RI I use with the V47 (a bit more bite and harshness, cuts better w/that amp's fat octal pre/PI tones) and the '80 Block Logo that I use with the JMP & Bassman.

Sold the TurnipFarmFX Klone for reasons already disclosed. Guy who bought it from me usually played guitar in his former band, bass in his present band. They were in the studio cutting their new CD when the guitarist from his new band asked to use the Klone on the first track through his '76 JMP. He was so blown away that they used it on every track.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    shreddy bender likes this.
  19. Relic61

Sergi-Bro, I think you'll find that while most pedals that are able to boost the input signal to the amp are capable of working as a solo boost, most tube amps will respond in their own unique way to an increase in input volume. IE; the vintage JMP non master volume amp I'm using will respond to a clean boost pedal with an increase presence in the bass & mids and not as much of a boost in the highs & upper mids I want for a solo. So the real trick is finding what pedals (boost, gain, solo) can work well & compliment your amplifier. That, will be a lifelong adventure that never gets old!

Rock on Brotha!

deMelo and Kris Ford like this.
  20. Kris Ford

Barry, I traded my buddy my Rangemaster clone (Homebrew Germania) for his version one Fulltone Fat-Boost...and I think my pedal searchin' days may be over...The RM clone didn't play or stack well, but that F'n Fat-Boost is the SHYT...It really punches that '78 (:cool:) JMP in the face and just oooozes out more of that delicious JMP goodness. I've determined (for now anyways..you know what I mean bro) that THAT is the sound I want.:dude: