What kind of dirt pedals y'all playing?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by gtone, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the timing of a thread can seem rather funny. As life would have it, I had to leave for practice tonight without my regular set of pedals because my pedal board was riding around in the Mrs car & she didn't get home in time before I left. I grabbed an old Korg multi pedal from the late 80's I has stashed away & headed off to make the best of practice night.

As luck would also have it, it was the first night I got to run the newly refretted (in Stainless Steel) 81 Les Paul Standard with its original Shaw era humbuckers through my favorite JMP head (currently a 75 MK II 1987 Lead head with NOS tubeage into a 1936 2x12 cab). I had been using an attenuator so getting that amp in the right zone at the right volume was as easy as plugging in direct & adjusting its two channel volume knobs until things sounded like fvck'n heaven (Marshall geek info: bright side volume around 11 O'clock & bass side around 9. I never even had to touch any other knobs) This gave me a nice response & drive with some crunch when played hard that still maintained a spanky defined crispness. In fact the bridge pup was very AC/DC sounding while the neck sang with a 'Sweet Chil O Mine' legato & Paige tonal voicings jumped out using both pups with the neck volume rolled back half way for that nice gurgling vocalization.

All that was left to do was setting that old Korg up as the new lead boost. This one had the Overdrive in it and worked real nice by backing the 'Drive' way back, maxing the 'Tone' (Bright and full as compared to bassier the other direction) and then setting the output so it lifted the solos up front. The LP was now a beast that came alive and sang with blooming harmonics that captivated my attention as well as my approval and motivated me to reach where my soul wanted to go. With those super slick frets with their perfect crowns the notes came faster and easier with every push. Before I new it I was absolutely flying up & down the neck & just rippin $#!T up without even feelin tired or gettin the usual hand crap that this type of extended and intense riffing usually brings. I could tell the other guys were diggin it & their looks were urging me on to keep doing what I was doing & even the other guitar player seemed content for the moment just to listen & not want to jump in for the usual 'battle for the lead' game we often play. Heck, when I got a "that guitar sounded real good tonight" comment from him it totally acknowledged the sense of being happy with my tone & playing I was already feeling tonight.

It was a night of unexpected changes that yielded real happy returns. All without the usual set of pedals and guitar. I'm sure there is an old adage or moral to the story to be found in this recent real life tale. Anything but the tone is in the fingers bull$#!t will do. Maybe, don't worry, make music. ? . or, put down the cork & play the fvk'n guitar!

Yeah, I'm diggin the last one!

Here's to a good day at practice, fun playing guitar & having a good time making music with the band.

Rock On fellas.

2. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Tobacco Worm likes this.
  3. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"A Bad Monkey and a RAT? That's a smashing good pair mate, Savvy?":naughty:

Alex_SG likes this.
  4. Natural Burst

Natural Burst Member

I LOVE dirt. I currently have the following in my collection:

Marshall GV-2 Guv’nor II
    Marshall JH-1 The Jackhammer
    Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker II
    Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory
    Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer
    MXR Fullbore Metal
    VFE Alpha Dog
    VFE Fuzz Duo
    VFE Fuzz Duo + Buffer
    VFE White Horse (compressor and overdrive)
    VFE Dark Horse
    VFE Fiery Red Horse saturated fuzz
    Boss DS-1 Distortion
    Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
    Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion
    Boss DA-2 Adaptive Distortion
    MI Audio Super Blues Pro
    MI Audio Super Crunch Box
    Rivera Double Shaman

Plenty of variety to keep me interested and I think I'm at the point where my dirt pedal GAS is reducing :rolleyes:. The worst sounding one is the Guv’nor II but I still have urges to use it and enjoy the challenge of getting reasonable sounds from it. They all get used believe it or not:thumb:.

5. Relic61

What sound comes out when you use them all at once??

6. Natural Burst

Natural Burst Member

7. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

So, I just ditched my Marshall Jackhammer. Gave up trying to get rid of the bloody mids.

No matter how I tried, I never got the tone I wanted from it, it was always too damned muddy (and my amp rings clean like a bell).

So, I exchanged it for a Brazilian made custom shop Fire Ultimate Distortion:

[​IMG]

Now this one suits my needs. It goes from a very nice crunchy overdrive to a good distortion, and with that "shape" knob I can pull off virtually all the mids and get a pure smashing treble and bass.

Since I currently play in a band that plays a wide range of tones, from Pink Floyd's to Metallica's and Guns n Roses', I must have a versatile distortion pedal, along with the Danelectro for more clean drive...

Too bad the GAS is hitting me again, I'm craving for a bad monkey to replace the Dano...

8. gball

gball Well-Known Member

At one time I had a pretty extensive pedal board to cover all the different styles of music we were playing in a half cover/half original band, but since I only play at home and the occasional jam these days I keep it simple: a Cry Baby and a Timmy.

9. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

I like to keep things simple. I generally use the od channel on my Blackstar amp or a Boss DS-1. It sounds amazing with the SG + Black star combo as its brightness balances well with the darkness of the guitar and the amp. I also use a Little Big Muff quite a lot

10. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

Mostly a home player these days.
    I usually play straight into my Jet City 20w combo. Plenty of thick tube dirt.
    I have a MIaudio Crunchbox in front that is set to fairly low gain and only gets used when I play slide on the neck PU the give it some extra meat.
    I also have the tried and true DS-1 that I changed the diodes to LEDs. This makes it clean up easier when you roll off the guitar volume a tad. Sounds great into a clean amp.

11. Relic61

Da BOMB!

[​IMG]

No really, Bomb that $#!t! Blow it the fvc# up. Where's Wade. Shootin varmits?

Funny thing is, I bet there will be somebody who comes along & says, "Don't laugh! I use one for x-y-z & it sounds great!"

To each his own. Its all good fellas. Rock on.

Alex_SG and smitty_p like this.
  12. Tobacco Worm

Barry, toss that thing up in the air and give it a running start. Then I'll blast it to pieces with my shotgun!!:wow:

13. Relic61

Follow the yellow brick road??
    [​IMG]

I'm all hooked up!

[​IMG]
    Now that's what I call tap dancin on yer pedals!

Billie Joe's reaction to the First Act Distortion Pedal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wasn't this the Justin Beiber rant??
    Or was it just a crappy pedal that pushed poor Billie ova da edge?!?

[​IMG]

And for you 'pedal'-files, the Guiness World Record for the Largest Pedalboard! Ta Daah!
    [​IMG]
    I bet the signal sounds pretty thin by the time it hits the amp eh??.

Sorry Wade. I can't find a pic of a shot up pedal. You'd think by now somebody somewhere would've shot one up & snapped a picture to immortalize the event!

14. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like Wade is our man for that job!. I've seen what he does to computers!
    First Act converted into a Dying Act!

15. Tobacco Worm

Well Barry, you're in luck. I have a VERY dead DigiTech pedal that I got that was used and badly abused. It died from multiple internal issues and cannot be repaired. I'll take it out to my range out back and shoot it for ya and post the pic so we'll have a shot of a "shot" pedal that's been shot!:wow: Boy say that five times real fast. :laugh2: Now what caliber to shoot it with? Got a few, lemee think on that one. I'll get back to ya. :hmm:

Now remember boy and girls; I'm a trained professional. Don't attempt these stunts at home.

shreddy bender likes this.
  16. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

"Don't try this at home."
    NO do it at Wade's house! He's got all the stuff there to do it with!

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  17. Tobacco Worm

So true. Shucks, I even have a 1/5th scale Parrot 10 pounder cannon! Oh yes I do! Has a 3/4" bore and can shoot steel bearings of like size through 5 car bodies! I know 'cuz I've done it at an old junk yard for fun! Woo hooo!:run:
    Won't shoot the pedal with it though as there'd be nothing left! :wow:
    Our motto: When it absolutely has to be destroyed overnight....

shreddy bender likes this.
  18. Relic61

Wade, I'm always impressed with the hole my 45 leaves in things!!! Looking down the barrel of one can bring about much enlightenment & change. A shot of a shot shot pedal with a jacketed 45 round going through it would be truly demonstrate what awesome hand gun means! I know ya got one buddy.

[​IMG]

Just be careful taking it out of the holster K?

[​IMG]

Attention weak at heart easily upset by graphicd injury!!!!

Do not view this following bullet injury!!!
    Turn away!!!
    Last chance!!!.
    I mean it!!!
    .I really mean it!!!
    Here it comes!!!
    Bang!!
    OWWWwwww!!!!!
    [​IMG]

19. Melmord Fjordslorn

Melmord Fjordslorn Active Member

All I know is that I am gassing HARD for a Toneczar Openhaus. I know the Wampler Triple Weck, the Okko Dominator, and the Emma PisdiYAUwot are nasty tight... but there's something about how the Openhaus sounds that makes me want one. I am seriously considering selling my 5150 combo to get the Openhaus.

Granted this would only be understood by connoisseurs of this genre :wave:

20. Tobacco Worm

Uh, yeah..... Does that mean ya want a new pedal?:dunno: