What size/brand of Open pickup "frames" / "covers" in Chrome fit Faded?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by sazista, Nov 18, 2019.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

Thought rewording my original post might get me more specific responses.
    How about: "Does anyone have open covers on their Faded?

ventura likes this.
  2. ventura

ventura Member

Not sure I understand... are you looking to add chrome pick-up covers to your Faded SG Special?

3. sazista

sazista Active Member

I want to add them to my 2002 Faded. I've read on many sites that covers in general differ between the bridge and neck pickup and some have not been able to use them at all.
    I'm trying to figure out which ones from Ebay, Amazon would fit.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG Special Faded Pickups

Bridge: 490T
    Neck: 490R

The width of the pickup covers for both positions are the same. The screw spacing on the 490T is wider than the screw spacing on the 490R. Since you are interested in open face covers, the screw spacing is not an issue.

Open Face Covers in link below.

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/open-pickup-covers-for-an-old-special-faded.33002/

Measurements below from my 2004 SG Special Faded that was refinished.

490T

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

490R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  5. sazista

sazista Active Member

Hey, thanks for that very scientifically prepared response!! You win!! So it seems that the covers I just purchased from Amazon in Chrome will slide in that space. I'm going to try it without pickup rings, as I don't have any. I'll post my findings as soon as I get the stuff and put it together. I appreciate it.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Some pickup covers will slide on firmly and stay by friction...
    But the factory method is to solder them on.

I have done both. I wanted black covers for the '57 classic and Classic plus
    that I installed on my '07 SG faded. I measured the '57s and found that they
    are both the same size. (just like they were in 1957).
    Pickguard 7@100.jpg
    So it's the more modernistic hum buckers that have wider spacing for the bridge
    p'up. This makes sense, because the string spacing is wider there.

Anyway, I bought a pair of Dimarzio black pickup covers, both the neck size.
    They fit very tightly over the Gibson pickup, and have never moved since I
    slid them on. So I didn't bother to solder them.

Other pickup covers may fit loosely and need to be soldered on in
    the traditional way. You get to make this choice.

7. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

I'd bet whatever "covers" you get will work fine. You may need to take some sandpaper around the edges of the pickup cutouts in your pickguard to enlarge then just a hair... but then again, maybe not.

Here's some cheap open-style covers I bought, I forget where from...
    c1.jpg
    And here's some ones I bought from Philadelphia Luthier Tools:
    c2.jpg

The cheapies, to my eyes, didn't look right -- the frame's borders were too big, and encroached on the polepieces, almost touching them. They just looked, well: cheap. The Philly ones, albeit twice the price, have a smaller border and look (again, to my eyes) much better.

In both cases, the covers slid right on the pickups snugly and without the need to solder or otherwise adhere them to the pickups.

I bought them initially to combat a problem that, for whatever reason, I really only had with this guitar: occasionally, in the midst of rocking out, my high E string would somehow get stuck under the lip of the neck pickup's bobbin. I'd get no sound from it, being jammed next to the pickup, until I'd carefully pluck it away from the bobbin's edge -- kind of throws off the rhythm of rocking out :dude:, plus I worried about it potentially cutting into the pickup's coil and kill it entirely.

I do also, however, really like the way they look. To me, they help balance the guitar visually: a splash of silver on the pickguard to compliment the bridge/tailpiece.
    IMG_20180804_193605e.jpg

Granted, YMMV, etc -- and ultimately, an SG looks badass no matter what. :cheers: