What the hell kind of strat is that?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Layne Matz, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Ive had the poster for 15 years, I'm wondering what kind of strat that is... Not sure if Bowie even played it but I'm still curious.

Attached Files:

2. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

IDK. The Ziggie Stardust model maybe? Did Fender have player endorsed models back then?

3. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Don't think its a fender, looks like a tunomatic on there... Sort of a Danelectro style pickguard...

I just looked it up after typing... Its a Hagstrom. I had heard the name but never seen one.

I did not know David Bowie played guitar... I had assumed he played keys and sang. That being said I'm not well versed in his work. I recall many songs from a very young age though.

4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

That is a Hagstrom III from the mid 60's.

I know because I had one.

[​IMG]

Biddlin, syscokid and Layne Matz like this.
  5. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Thanks, any opinions on that guitar? How does it sound? What's with those 6 switches?

6. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Bowie played quite a bit of the guitar parts early on, mostly the aquostic parts of songs, both in the studio and live (think Starman, etc), while Mick Ronson handled most of the electric parts. He would often play the aquostic parts with an electric live, though.

Once you get a basic feel for each of their styles it's fairly easy to differentiate between the two while listening. Bowie stuck mostly to the subtle rhythm parts as a filler so he could concentrate more on vocals live.

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

The H-III was reintroduced a couple of years ago, as part of a 'retroscape' range. But this is a different (later?) body shape that I recall seeing in the 70s. I know I wanted one on looks alone - perhaps the best blend of Strat and SG shapes I've ever seen. But I'm not a big fan of the massive array of switches, and I think they're a little overpriced for a Chinese guitar. (I did have a recent Viking, and wasn't over impressed by it). I guess I'd be tempted if I saw one going at a big discount.... as always. :)

[​IMG]

Layne Matz likes this.
  8. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

You're hearing Bowie play guitar on many tracks, most notably "Rebel, Rebel". He wrote and played that iconic part, not Ronson.

Bowie was a talented bastard who not only wrote and sang, but played many instruments.

P.

rotorhead and syscokid like this.
  9. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

It's a very interesting guitar.

I "discovered" SRV in the early 1980s. I later argued with a friend that the solo to Let's Dance was short but cool. I then learned that despite Bowie "playing" in the video, it was actually Stevie on that album. It proved my point: I used my ears to listen to music, my friend used his preconceptions.

10. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Lots of good info all around! Thanks everyone

rotorhead likes this.
  11. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Indeed. Bowie played most of the guitar on the rest of Diamond Dogs, too. Ronson had left the band by then. :smile:

Paul G. and Layne Matz like this.