What tones do you use most often?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Layne Matz, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Right now I've been going for an Eric Johnson-vibe, since I just got a ES-335 and I heard Cliffs of Dover was recorded on one. Other than that, I have taken liking to the middle position. Love the quack it gives.

Layne Matz likes this.
  2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Almost 99 % of the time my tone will come from the guitar and amp (with a bit of reverb added). I crank the amp (these days usually my 1959 Gibson GA-20T Ranger) as loud as I need it to go. It starts breaking up nicely really early (as soon as the volume is turned past 1.5!), so getting enough juice is not a problem even at relatives conservative volumes, especially with humbuckers. Then the volume and tone controls on my guitar take care of the rest. I love the sound of old Gibson amps. They are definitely comparable to Fender Tweeds. Every now and then I'll step on a delay pedal, a fuzz or a boost/overdrive box, sometimes even a wah. But I rely on the amp and guitar for the vast majority of the time.

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Member

My Holy Grail is the Mesa Mark IV with the right settings for Metallica's . . . "Metallica" album. I've had that for a few years now, but other tones I go for are AC/DC, ZZ Top, Slayer, Guns n Roses (Slash AND Izzy), Bryan Adams, System of a Down, and a general semi-scooped modern metal sound. There's really not many rock or metal bands whose tones aren't mostly covered by one of those, and maybe with some guitar knob fiddling.
    I'd go for some blues tones if I were any good at blues. sadface.jpg

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

For electric blues tone and lessons i reccomend john lee hookers solo stuff, both acoustic and electric. Its real simple, same with Howlin Wolfs stuff. Early Muddy waters too. Its never too late to play some blues.

5. Layne Matz

Ive honestly only heard cliffs of dover by Johmson but none of his other stuff. Is there an album or live show in particular you would reccomend?

I generally stick to vinyl and what I have offline so I dont listen to as much new stuff as I should.

6. Layne Matz

I empathize with this. I only own a wah/boost pedal and a fuzz/octave pedal but i ALWAYS pick up the local christian radio station so i just gave up a long time ago. My rig consists of many guitars and two small amps... If i lived elsewhere perhaps i could try using pedals for a change.

Gahr likes this.
  7. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Venus Isle doesn't have Cliffs of Dover on it, but it is my favorite album by him so far. The tone on Camel's Night Out is crazy in addition to all the pentatonic shredding.

Layne Matz likes this.