What VOS to choose ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by cyberprimate, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cyberprimate

cyberprimate Member

I'm interested in buying a VOS guitar with Vibrola. There's no VOS SG in the 2015 catalog. Was there an evolution over the years between the various VOS SGs? If so in what way?

Alex_SG likes this.
  2. Molly

Molly Active Member

Can't answer that specific question but one thing I was careful to determine when I bought my R8 was that it had a one-piece rosewood fretboard. Shocking as it may seem, in some of the preceding years they'd actually used a laminate on some of their high-end guitars. You'll notice the present specs make a point of saying 'one-piece' which you'd kind of take for granted.

I didn't keep my VOS. I sold it and used the money to buy two other Les Pauls. Both '05. A Standard and a Classic. Put Bare Knuckle pickups and an upgraded loom in the Standard. I'm far happier with these guitars than I was with my VOS.

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'm partial to the 2007s...

[​IMG]

The Custom Shops get a lot of hate for some reason, but I love mine and I never plan on parting ways with it. I did find the stock BBs a bit bland though TBH.

They've been supposedly improving them in little ways over time, but the differences are negligible mostly. The biggest one is Brazilian Rosewood they used until 2003 I believe. I'd say just go play as many as you can find nearby.

dampsneaker likes this.
  4. Molly

Molly Active Member

I didn't hate mine. I probably didn't stick with it long enough to appreciate the difference.

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I HATED mine, but I'll just leave it at that...

dampsneaker likes this.
  6. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Before you jump in with cash out of pocket, try a few guitars with the vibrola. They look cool as all get out but the will alter the sound and feel of a guitar.

Personally I love the look....but in practice they always let me down.

Hope you find the perfect machine