What's on Your Workbench Today?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DanielC, Feb 22, 2012.

1. DanielC

DanielC New Member

Deeply embedded in The Demokratik Republik of Kali
    This is a ripoff of one very successful thread on my hangout site.

At any rate this poor baby spent just about her whole life in her case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a little fret board love and a set up should do the trick.

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

don't have anything on the bench right now but I picked up a gibson faded les paul special in cherry really cheap and am thinking about refinishing it in gloss white if I can carve out a couple days to get it done.

Here is a pic of the doublecut LP faded I refinished in white a couple years ago so the special should turn out similar finish wise.
    [​IMG]

3. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Member

The "Used" SG Standard in VSB that I picked up from UPS today will be going on the workbench tonight when I got home. She'll be getting a set-up and I'll be sanding out this finish flaw. Not sure if I'll be reapplying clear to that area, but those bubbles are going. This little lady only cost me $767 from MF because of that spot...I'm a happy camper.

[​IMG]

ninjaking67 likes this.
  4. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I have two projects going on right now. The first is a copy of a Gretsch Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird. Due to work, progress is slow, but moving along.

The first shot is of the body all bound, and soaked in napthta to show off the figuring. I'm using a two piece Honduran mahogany body with a quilted maple cap. The neck will eventually be H. mahogany. I hope to start it soon.

[​IMG]

The next shot is of the Palisander fingerboard in the radiusing jig. I gave it a twelve inch radius. It's all sanded now, awaiting me to finish the table saw jig to get it to size. Then I'll slot it.

[​IMG]

Next up is a copy of a '66 Non-Reverse T-Bird bass. A friend loaned me his to blueprint. The body is done (for the most part), and waiting for me to start the fingerboard and neck. Just need to finish up that table saw jig....

As soon as I'm sure of what the neck tenon will be like, I'll completely finish up this body by routing for the controls, pickups, edge radii, tenon, etc. I actually have all the parts for this one.

[​IMG]

5. DanielC

DanielC New Member

6. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Nice job of binding on the Billy Bo John.

7. SG John

Thanks! Once I got going, I was worried that I had got in over my head. Luckily, I was smart enough to be methodical about taping and glueing. I did the two small strips first, then the wide outer one last. I was really happy with the results, and not afraid to to some more. The fingerboard will also have a three piece binding.

I may also bind the headstock. :ohno:

DanielC likes this.
  8. SG John

The neck and fingerboard to the Billy-Bo. I finished scraping the binding last night, and installed the dot inlays today. I need to file and sand them tomorrow. I was going to use little mother of pearl stars so that it would look like the neck on the Rickenbacker 4004LK "Lemmy" bass, but chickened out. I still don't have enough practice performing intricate free hand routing.

[​IMG]

I also cut up the nice piece of quarter sawn Honduran mahogany that I'm using for the neck. I also did some beltsanding while I was making a mess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    eS.G. and WavMixer like this.
  9. DanielC

DanielC New Member

10. DanielC

DanielC New Member

Hmm... I'm not sure if I like it, but I'm sure as hell not starting over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eS.G., ninjaking67 and Komanchy like this.
  11. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Looks pretty damn good to me Dan ! :thumb:

ninjaking67 and eS.G. like this.
  12. SG John

Sorry for the necro-post, but I didn't feel like starting a thread for this. I also thought it would be fun to revive this, and see if anyone plays along.

I have a Japanese Strat from the 80's that had a fair amount of abuse before I bought it. It had been used by a southpaw for a while. It also got a relic job, and some other abuse. I found it in a little music store tucked away in the corn fields of Missouri when I was traveling for work. I pulled the frets a while back, and today I finally got the motivation to press in new frets, and file them up a bit. It's supposed to be nice this weekend, so I'll try to slap a coat or two of ReRanch tinted clear lacquer on it.

Heating the frets before pulling them:

[​IMG]

How ugly the fingerboard looked after pulling the frets:

[​IMG]

Pressing the new frets in the nicely sanded neck:

[​IMG]

Ready for Nitro:

[​IMG]

I really wanted to get a two tone sunburst body for this to get it looking like a '54-'56 Strat. I couldn't find a body I could justify the cash for, so I was thinking about maybe stripping this body and refinishing it. Unfortunately, it's plywood so I don't really want to go that route. I learned my lesson stripping "mystery wood" when I refinished my Burny SG. Looks like it'll stay white for a while longer.

[​IMG]

13. SG John

The Strat neck is refinished, and looking pretty nice. It's got ReRanch tinted clear over a nice spaghetti logo and new frets. just needs wet sanding and fret dressing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I would go ahead and strip the body, and maybe paint it black. But there is so much fiberglass resin holding the plywood together, it looks like it was made in a boat yard. Now, I'm on the hunt for another body. First choice is 50s two tone sunburst. Then, maybe black or fiesta red.

[​IMG]

14. SG John

After seeing The Robbie Krieger Band last Saturday, I thought that I would take my custom tailpiece of my old SG Standard, and throw the Lyre vibrola back on. I wonder if it will stay on longer than the next string change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Seems like a fresh dose of black paint is right in order. Normally I prefer to see the wood grain, but then again I'm a woodaholic.

ninjaking67 likes this.
  16. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

I think I just fell in love with the binding on this. Very nice, very nice indeed!

SG John likes this.
  17. SG John

Thanks!

:cheers:

18. bea

bea Well-Known Member

An old project slowly evolving: i am modifiying an experimental ergonomic guitar i built a while ago into a guitar synthesizer. This requires the construction of additional space for the electronics and even more the 13-pin connector. Here the work in progress:

[​IMG]

19. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Wow......just wow the collection of pure TALENT on this forum is truly amazing! :bowdown:

20. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Got a couple of hot tele bridge pickups to test out in my tele clone... Pics to follow