What's on Your Workbench Today?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DanielC, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bea

bea Well-Known Member

Some recent pictures of the progress. Holes filled and cleated:

[​IMG]

And a front view:

[​IMG]

There is still a lot to do: design and make the new braces, which i have already started, and remove the neck an make a new neck block. I would really like to avoid this, but the neck points too strong toward the right, beyond the dashed line i drew on the top marking the centerline. It should even be noticeable in this photo.

2. bea

bea Well-Known Member

Time for some champagne. For a better 2017 and even more for the good progress with that baby.

New end block and new tone bars. These need to be trimmed, of course:

[​IMG]

Yes G and SG John like this.
  3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

My workbench was actually on my workbench today! The bench top is made from old 2X4s, and was very uneven. I laid some leftover parquet floorboards on top of the 2x4s, and now it is as smooth as a baby's behind.:smile:

jtcnj, syscokid and WallaceWinston like this.
  4. Renegade87

Renegade87 New Member

Epi Explorer.jpg So, I have thia 2006 Epi '58 Korina Explorer that I love. My 1st project since picking up a guitar again after a 35 year absence from our shared hobby... EMG Hetfield active pickups, custom perloid pickguard and truss rod cover, and Gotoh locking tuners (installed after this pic was taken) are the "big ticket items" on this beauty, but I also replaced the bridge, tailpiece and every screw with new gold hardware. Yes, I still have all the original hardware.

So, next up I'm going to relocate the battery from the control cavity to it's own double battery box and replace the tone pot with an EMG Afterburner pot.

I picked up a Bosch Colt Router and having had no experience with them in the past have been experimenting on a 2 x 4. I made a platform for my little 10" drill press to clamp the Explorer to while I drill as much material out of the battery box location with a Forstner bit as I can. Then I'll clean out the cavity with the Colt. Should work out ok. Tried to upload more pics, but size limits prevent it.

Any/all advice from you incredibly talented Luthiers would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    syscokid and SG John like this.
  5. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Very easy to resize a pic with a pc's Paint program. I usually make a copy of the pic-of-choice > open it with Paint > Resize (reduce by percentages) and Save till it's under 1meg.

Welcome to ETSG

Renegade87 likes this.
  6. bea

bea Well-Known Member

These days some "background work" for the guitar needs to be done. My chisels... were not sharp anymore, and they were not well in shape anyway. So i spent a few hours with the wet stone to do the coarse part of sharpening and correctly shaping them. Not quite done, but they are nearly ready for the fine stone...

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've got an old copy of Photoshop, but I imagine some of the free knockoffs will have this feature as well - "Save for Web". I knock my pics down to 1000px X whatever, "Save for Web" which converts them to .jpg, and that's usually good enough to upload.

Renegade87 likes this.
  8. bea

bea Well-Known Member

You can even scale it down to about 640 px in the largest dimension and use a quality of 77-80 %. The picture will still be fine. And the loading time will be fast even on slow connections.

Renegade87 likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Could do that, but sometimes people want to zoom in and the forum auto scales it for display here. 1000px is a substantial reduction from the source material and far from obnoxious.

10. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

If I take a picture with my ipad (yes, I know I probably look like a dork! But it's actually a nice camera!) then I usually just email it back to myself - you can choose the size of file to attach to the email, simple but effective :smile:

Bob

11. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Just upload it to imgur or photobucket and post from there. No file size limit.

12. bea

bea Well-Known Member

Let me continue with this baby: it is not finished. But it plays and it is "under observation" if it remains stable. Meanwhile i noticed that i'll also need to modify the radius of the upper part of the neck which is narrower that the lower part.

That's how it looks now:

[​IMG]

syscokid and Satellitedog like this.
  13. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You quoted the same post twice but said nothing?

15. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

20160104_121206_zpsboxmgvaj.jpg

TRying my hand at les paul style guitar. Struggling with the tenon..

SG John likes this.
  16. bea

bea Well-Known Member

Maybe he is speechless because of my daring project (which btw, is born from desparation; i avoided it for more than 30 years)

syscokid likes this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

As good a reason as anything else I suppose.

18. bea

bea Well-Known Member

Apropos workbench and old guitars. That one has spent a while in the water, had a loose brace and suffers from delamination of the plywood. Mostly of the bottom plate but also on the top. I tried to improve this, pressed the top back into its old shape (well, roughly...), reglued the brace and added a few more braces to take up something of the load. All braces must become pretty light, otherwise the top will become too stiff. I try to test this by its tap tones. While cutting down the braces i had the impression that the top might profit from another pair of braces, outside the original ones.

[​IMG]

19. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

this week Im working on my all tube theramin, a progect edging closer to completion in its 3rd month.

I blame the weather because the case can't be finished till it finally warms up. I had the flu last time we had a warm week and then it started snowing again..
    IMG_3052.JPG
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Firwa

And the 'voce of communism' mic, built around soviet intercom parts. This one's almost done, Im just having alittle trouble sourcing tube for the body

https://imgur.com/gallery/EViSF

20. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

20170408_131959.jpg Just a fret dress to get outthe pesky divets