What's the real differences between the SGJ 2013 and 2014 ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Metalhead, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a white SGJ 2013 and right after :hmm: I saw the new 2014 120th anniversary models on the Gibson website and i noticed these changes that make me wonder if I should have waited to get one of these...

- Maple neck with comfortable, rounded '50s profile on 2013

- SG Slim Profile on 2014

I already have a SG standard 2004 (that is a great guitar) and i guess that the neck on the 2014 is the same size on both. Right?

Only i'm not sure about the '50s rounded profile neck, Is it as good for soloing and such things?

I also wonder (I play mostly metal) what are the differences in sound between the ''new ’61-style Zebra'' pickups and the ''490R and 490T'' ?

:paf:

I have not seen or heard any comparison between these two models. I only saw on the web that the 490s are Alnico II pickups (like the '57 classics) and the '61-style zebra are supposed to be Alnico V (alike the 498s on my standard).

Are the zebra pickups a step up from the 2013 SGJ pickups?

And according to you, do these changes make the SGJ 2014 better guitars than the 2013 models?

Sorry if my english is not so good, my first language is French.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. eelir

eelir Member

I am also interested in this question. BTW, on amazon, you can get sgj 2013 for $399 now
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-SGJ-Guitar-Chocolate-Satin/dp/B00AAK31YW/ref=sr_1_19?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1388251198&sr=1-19]Amazon.com: Gibson SGJ Guitar Chocolate Satin: Musical Instruments[/ame]

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Having only touched one of these and owning a 2013, the biggest differences are cosmetic, with the open zebra 61 pickups being perhaps a bit brighter than covered 490s, or maybe not. The headstock gets an inlay chip overlay, smaller Gibson logo and off-white tuners. The fretboard has the 120th anniversary octave marker.
    New finishes are available .
    If I could pickup a 13 for $150 less than a 14, I wouldn't hesitate. I found no functional improvements.
    Biddlin ;>)/

4. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

Thanks for replies :wave:

Yes i also noticed the cosmetics changes but I worry more for the thicker neck.

I realize today that both 2013 and 2014 LPJ have a '50s profile neck. I guess it is as good, but you know when you're used to a kind neck its a bit weird to play after when you switch guitar.

I tried a Gibson Les Paul Standard once (A 2004-2006 i think), and the neck was bigger than the one on my SG Standard if i remember well.

Is it the same neck size on both LP Standard and SGJ 2013 (and LPJ 2013-2014)?

I ordered mine for 469,99 $ from bestbuy.ca, usually they are 599 $ here in Canada and the LPJ sell for 689-699$.

At first i wanted to buy a White LPJ to finally have a Les Paul :p the fact that they have a hotter bridge pickup and bigger dots inlay (than the SGJ) was very appealing to me, only they were all sold out :dunno:. There was still 1 white and 8 Brown SGJ...

:hmm: I think i've made the right choice because i wanted a white Gibson ''J'' and white is no longer color choices for both SGJ-LPJ 2014. The SGJ are 24 frets while the Les Paul are 22 and anyway LPJs ('13-'14) have the same neck as the 2013 SGJ :naughty:

Now I hope the guitar will be without defects and fine with winter weather :fingersx: :ohno:

Biddlin likes this.