When did you discover SG awesomeness?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rusty Chops, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

Just bought my first SG this year. Two of my friends are trying to buy one now after hearing it, one of them an avowed acoustic player :)

Rusty Chops likes this.
  2. bananhunden

bananhunden Member

I didn't know that all my favorite bands played SG's, I just fell in love with the look.

One day I decided that I wanted to replace my crappy guitar, Behringer strat, with a real one.

I left the house early and spent the whole day visiting all of the guitar stores in Copenhagen.

Strangely, none of them had any SG's in stock. Well they had lefties but that wouldn't work for me.

I tried every kind of guitar you could think of.

A couple of hours before the stores closed I got to the last place and there she was, hanging on the wall. The only righty SG left in Copenhagen it seemed.

I took it down, played the first chord, got my first guitar chills and decided then and there that I wouldn't leave the store without that guitar.

I ate very little the next two months but dammit, she was mine...

...my own, my precious 2006 Ebony Standard :-)

Col Mustard, Dadou, Karathas and 2 others like this.
  3. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

A good friend in high school had a Les Paul Jr (SG shape) '61 I think, with a single P90. He was very good and was a huge inspiration for me.
    Thanks Jeff Walls!!

Col Mustard and Rusty Chops like this.
  4. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Member

All of my favorite guitar players had played Les Pauls, so of course that's what I gravitated towards. (Jimmy Page, Dean Deleo, Joe Perry, etc.) It wasn't until 10-15 years ago when I heard "Live at Leeds" in my early 20's that I knew how powerful an SG could sound!

I've craved that tone since then and have gone through a number of Epiphone and Gibson Specials and Juniors. My first was an Epi SG Junior with a bolt-on neck that just WOULD NOT stay in tune, but I loved it anyways. Currently I have one of the Gibson Juniors with the baked maple board (lightest guitar I own, by far) and just got a good deal on a Gibson SG Special (VOS Custom shop). I'm hoping to add a Pelham Blue standard with a maestro in the future.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  5. Freejazz-SG

Freejazz-SG Active Member

I saw Clapton with Cream in a concert 1967 playing an SG. I also saw Hendrix live in late 1967 playing a white SG Custom. And then it was McLaughlin with his double-neck SG in the early 70s, and so the Norwegian fusion guitarist Terje Rypdal, who played an SG: the most hysterical guitar playing I´ve ever heard (myself included). Compare those guys with Angus, Tommy Iommi, Allan Holdsworth with Soft Machine and Robby Krieger in Doors. Seriously: what can NOT be done with an SG? ;)

Rusty Chops, Col Mustard and Karathas like this.
  6. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

I am still doing alot of learning guitar with mine. I play alot of acoustic type stuff on it presently, and it never disappoints. Even when i dont plug her in, she sounds great! When i want a bit of crunch i got it in spades..that full rich sound...damn...Im in love!!!
    (Don't tell my wife :) )

Rusty Chops and Col Mustard like this.
  7. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

She must play Fenders. :applause:

Rusty Chops likes this.
  8. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

København... what a magic place! I'm currently saving to take another trip round there!

As for the Sg... well, some years ago I was looking for a good guitar, "the real thing", just like bananhunden. I had a crappy strat copy but the SG was what I'd always been craving for, that growl is what got me into guitar playing, but somehow when i started taking lessons, I got into that urban myth that says "SGs are only good for some AC/DC". So I was in the market for a tele, since that chinese strat had left me some bad memories and prejudices about strats and LPs...well, I've never really considered them. So one day I went into this shop where I had already tried a tele and I was with my best friend and our attention got caught by some epis and gibbys hung on the wall and, almost as a joke, i asked to try an SG. It was a glossy special, just like the one DoodoaXD got recently. I strummed an A and a G chord and then I knew. It was crystal clear that I had to get an SG.

Rusty Chops, Col Mustard and 58pit like this.
  9. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

I started my love affair with the SG long, long, long ago...

[​IMG]

10. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

1. Krieger, Townshend, Clapton.

2. My SGJ.

3. My LP, which even though it has awesomeness all it's own, reminds me of why we often get both.

11. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

LOL,Thats awesome!

jrmullin and JohnnyGoo like this.
  12. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I bought this about a week after seeing Blue Oyster Cult in March of '78. I had wanted an SG for a while. That night sealed my fate. Saw Frank Marino and Frank Zappa within the next couple of months. An SG would be the only thing for me for a long time.

[​IMG]

JohnnyGoo, LeadFinger, eS.G. and 3 others like this.
  13. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Well-Known Member

all too recently... I got an Epi SG Jr about a year ago and thought it was the bomb... It wasn't until two weeks ago when I ran across my SG-1... and was floored... it's so much better than the Epi

LeadFinger, 58pit, Karathas and 2 others like this.
  14. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

I'm a recent convert. In my teens (1980s), I played a Fender Strat, and it was my main guitar for well over a decade. However, I had always wanted a real Les Paul (Jimmy Page was my hero). Years later when I could finally afford another guitar, I bought a Telecaster, which I loved and continue to love. It became my go-to guitar for another decade.

And then I finally bought my Gibson Les Paul Standard, the guitar of my dreams. Although it hurt my heart to look at it, I didn't like playing it. I sold it and bought another strat (also love).

Fast-forward a couple years, and I plunged into Gibson territory again with a used custom 61 reissue. It is the greatest guitar I have ever owned. 60s neck, Burstbuckers, Maestro Lyre. It's perfect. The tele and strats are lonely and neglected these days.

15. seizure

seizure Active Member

August 2012

I decided I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I didn't know what kind of electric guitar I wanted and reading about the Fender Squiers and the Epiphones that were described as for "beginners" and everything confused me a lot as they were describing Pitch and Tone and Sound and I didn't even know what a Tremelo was. I was an utter Noob. Told my boss who I knew played a little bit as well, and told him I wanted to start and right then and there during our lunch break we went to the local guitar center to look at guitars. I walked around looking at prices and the different guitars and it was extremely overwhelming as I didn't know what the difference was in guitars in the same price range. However as I'm walking about there was this Bright red Epiphone SG Special Used for $70 sitting on the demo floor by itself. I was just simply drawn to the color and the price not knowing any better and I said I'll just take this one, good enough for now.

After playing on this guitar for about 8 months I finally made the Palm to Facesmack connection that one of my favorite guitarists, Angus Young played a Gibson SG. One of those, man Angus plays such a cool red guitar with double horns I wonder what brand it is. Then looking at my guitar I noticed I also had double horns! ha ha.

After I essentially outgrew my Epiphone SG Special and I knew this was a hobby I would definitely keep up with, I saved up my penny and got in on the fire sale that was the Gibson SG 61 Satin finish models that were being blown out for about $650+ and I've been rocking out ever since.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  16. slappy2x

slappy2x Member

17. Nop

Nop Member

I discovered SG some years ago by listening to a french guitarist/singer Louis Bertignac (he has played in Telephone, a french rock band during the 70's).
    He have an old SG jr totally destroyed (and 27 fret !) :

[​IMG]

After that I give a try to Tony Iommi... And felt in love with Black Sabbath... That's why I bought my first SG

18. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Damn! That baby has some SERIOUS mojo! :dude:

I first heard Krieger playing an SG when I was 8 on the radio. It was "Light My Fire" and had just got to the guitar solo... That's part of the reason I love that song so much! We were on vacation in the US later that year, and I recall walking through LA with my folks and brothers, and seeing an SG in the window of a music store. It had me completely trapped! I couldn't avert my eyes, and walked into a garbage can! Had a "love affair" with them ever since! I used to judge my musical taste on whether or not the guitarist played an SG!

19. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Wow is all i can say about that JR.Mojo for sure

20. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

Bertignac's SG is a '63 Junior; the extra frets were added to cover the tenon cavity after Bertignac decided to take the pickguard off.

Funny how I discovered he plays an SG when I was learning "Un autre monde" on MY SG!