Where are we heading ? (rant)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by DrBGood, Feb 2, 2020.

1. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Nope. I have written code that generates further code, but that extra code is still a direct result of the code I have written, and if I could be bothered I would be able to follow the algorithms through precisely. Decisions require an understanding of not only the parameters, but why the decisions should be made in the first place. A piece of code my decide between to options, but the questions is how did it decide to make the choice. Nobody has yet produced a machine or programme that comes even close to that.

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Right, I guess this works if you limit the argument to code you've written. I wasn't considering such a limitation.

Are you serious? People make endless decisions without understanding all the parameters, why the decision is being made, or, for that matter, the consequences. But they're still decisions. A decision merely requires some consideration to have been made between alternatives. I've already given an example where a situation can arise when a machine has made a decision, and no one had set the parameters by which that decision was made - nor would they have done.

3. donepearce

I've never seen such a decision, and I don't accept that any machine has ever reached a decision. Machines to date only enact decisions made by humans. And of course it doesn't matter whether I wrote the code or someone else did. Everything the machine does relies 100% on that code.

I'm not saying that machines will never reach a point of sophistication where they make decisions, but in order to do that they will need some internally generated motivation. That is entirely absent right now.

4. donepearce

Look, what this boils down to is that we are never going to agree on a definition of intelligence, so we may as well just let this drop.

DrBGood likes this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

HURRAH ! :rofl:

donepearce likes this.
  6. donepearce

Oi! You are supposed to say stuff like "no, please carry on, this is really interesting".

Astral Traveler and DrBGood like this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Reverse psychlology inverted.

Astral Traveler and SatansGwitar like this.
  8. donepearce

Damn

SatansGwitar likes this.
  9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I was coming to the same conclusion - but regarding the definition of 'decision' rather than 'intelligence'. I'm certainly aware of machine decisions that are not the direct result of a prior human decision.

Either way, it's not something we're likely to resolve in the slow back and forth of posts on a guitar forum :)

I'm happy to agree to differ...

donepearce likes this.
  10. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

I'm slightly on both sides of the fence on this. I don't believe in whining about small issues, nor posting my laments about personal flaws in my furniture as if its the gospel of the quality assurance for any particular product. I used to have several Epiphones, one i still have and never understood the issues raised by guitar consumers on the quality or the lambasting name calling like "Chinese junk". I played the crap out of my Epi's, no complaints. Sure some were better than others but the things I cared most about was the comfort and tones. Three of my Gibsons are friggin perfect, two of them i bought new the other i bought used in excellent condition. Now I'm a very careful person with handling stuff but honestly its a friggin guitar. I bought them to play the crap out of, find my sound, record music to, jam out with buddies, not hang up in a trophy room unplayed only touched with cotton gloved hands. Hell i scuffed the Vol/Tone area on both SG's trying to install the pointer guages that no longer come standard on them cuz I like to know my exact settings for recording but it made me love em more. One of my Gib's has a missing spot of gloss or maybe it was slightly scraped and looks matted...pfft I consider that a birthmark. I understand having expectations on higher priced gear but making vids, announcing theres major QA problems to everyone is bs... I've not witness one damn problem with any guitar i have ever owned, if i did even i wouldn't cry about it to the world.

Astral Traveler and DrBGood like this.
  11. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I am still pushing code and still getting paid for it ( not bad gig no complaints ).

To me there are plenty of computers making decisions. Self driving autos an easy first example.

Not a huge fan of the Turing machine test but likely a lot of things these days could stump me for a while.

Peace out! I gotta return an amp on amazon theres a tiny finish problem thats like .007 cm long.

DrBGood likes this.