Where Do You See Your Playing Right Now?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Lex Lurid, Oct 1, 2006.

1. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=Lex Lurid link=topic=10441.msg138300#msg138300 date=1160207896]
    I think that the measure of success or failure of this as a topic is really down to all that have contributed? All I did was ask the question Larry, then sat back and watched.  :)

OK......So

[size=11pt]The Next Question is bubbling under here. A Bit about everyone's PAST Experiences?[/size] Do we start a New Topic, OR do we continue with this and just let it evolve all on its own?

It's YOUR Topic Guys......What do you want it to do and where do you want it to go next?

Pippity Pip
    Lexie ;)
    [/quote]

Good call Lex..........TAG !!! You're it !!   ;)

2. guitarweasel

[quote author=Larry link=topic=10441.msg138279#msg138279 date=1160188652]
    I still think a lot of you folks are being modest about your playing. This was/is a GREAT thread Lexie!! Bes yet.

[/quote]

I don't think it's a matter of being modest Larry, I just think there are some players here that have put their playing into perspective.  I KNOW for a fact there are folks on here that are extraordinary guitarists/musicians, but when asked, they say their a hack, but what I think it boils down to is their preconceived idea of where their proficiency is..

I've come to the realization that no matter how good you are.......there is always someone in the wings 10 times better.
    Some of us have been LUCKY enough to make a career out of music, paid their dues, put up with the silliness that come from being a professional in the music biz and have actually put down their guitar for a spell, just to noodle around a bit here and there.

It takes a certain something inside a person to pick up an instrument and learn to play it. Doesn't matter if you're a newbie just learning a  I, IV, V progression or a hell bent shredder, you've taken those steps to fulfill a inner desire......and to all those people.....I tip my hat...  and consider them ALL my peers.  :)

3. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Amen to THAT GW. Once again you have said all that needs to be said from that stand point. :)

It's "almost" academic as to whom you Have palyed with, Gigged With.... The Key (if there is such a thing) is whether you enjoyed yourself as a Player. I don't mean that you HAVE to play in 10,000 Seater Venues......I have been sometimes at my happiest playing in a Folk Club!!!!! 25/30 People????? Great Fun.

Enjoy what You Do. Be it Gigging...........or struggling with a Barre Chord.....Just ENJOY it! ;)

Pip Pip
    Lexie :)

4. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

[quote author=Lex Lurid link=topic=10441.msg138300#msg138300 date=1160207896]
    I think that the measure of success or failure of this as a topic is really down to all that have contributed? All I did was ask the question Larry, then sat back and watched.  :)

OK......So

The Next Question is bubbling under here. A Bit about everyone's PAST Experiences?
    Do we start a New Topic, OR do we continue with this and just let it evolve all on its own?

It's YOUR Topic Guys......What do you want it to do and where do you want it to go next?

Pippity Pip
    Lexie ;)
    [/quote]

Seems like the next logical extensions are past experience as you suggest and future ambition? I'm a zero for both of these as I have never played with a group nor do I ever care to. In fact, all I care about is enjoying the time allocated to guitar be it tweaking my amps or noodling the same tired riffs. However, I enjoy seeing others describe their past experience and future ambition and others might too :) I really enjoyed the rich history of your playing Rob 8)

5. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

But again the point gets raised Brad......You are enjoying all that you do......Therefore in MY eyes at least...That's a Success. :)

I well recall my earlier days when I would sit and struggle with Guitars which were by todays standards unplayable, BUT get immense satisfaction from producing either a new phrase, or new Chord. Those days have always stayed with me......Hell I still get a Buzz just LOOKING at a Guitar ;)

Brewski once spoke to me about "Seminal" Moments that have occurred for him.......And I completely understand where he's coming from....... I find that things such as the intense excitement one can get when cracking open a Guitar Case for the first time.....The excitement of trying out that which lies within.....YES...It's still exactly the same as it always has been for me.

At the end of the day.............It's the Sheer Excitement and Enjoyment that makes it all so alluring for me.
    I REALLY hope that you all feel something similar?

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

6. angus

angus Active Member

Well... All I can say is that "You Don't Have to be good to play"

- Kurt Cobain

7. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Yeah that is entirely true Angus.........But define Good......and in whose opinion?

YOU have already proven your worth with all that you have achieved and I and many others here salute you.

Why not tell us a bit about how you arrived at the place you now find yourself?
    Everyone can benefit from hearing the experience of others.

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

8. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Late in on this one. Sorry.

Where's my playing now? Rusty and repetitive I would say. I've not been putting in the hours I used to about 4-5 years ago (when I was working on my B-bender Tele licks after being inspired by Clarence White) and I think frequent jam nights (where it's always tedious versions of Red House and Black Magic Woman) have corrupted my mind into thinking plodding three chord tunes and "soulful" blues licks are where it's at. Huh!

I really need to make an effort to learn more and different things (I've had a mandolin for three years and I'm still stuck on the basics!) and when I get the chance (not very often recently 'cos of my studies) I do get out and thrash my way through some interestingly different song choices, picked in a spirit of bloody-mindedness either to force others into playing something outside their normal experience or, if doing it solo, to do material I like and can relate to in order to get the **** out of my system. I started this tack 5-6 years ago after splitting with my wife and going through a lengthy divorce process that has still left me without contact with my two sons. I returned to guitar playing (after a long lay-off in my 18 year marriage) as a means of re-establishing my own identity, something that a few others have also done judging by your posts. I love guitars and am now a compulsive buyer but, unfortunately, do not use them to their full capacity - something I feel guilty about. I'm not a great technician, a pretty average player really, but I do play with energy and commitment if it's a decent song. Make me play Red House or Mustang Sally and I'll lose interest. I've even laft the stage at one jam rather than play the latter piece of dross!

Anyway, I shall carry on playing for my own amusement (and to make others suffer ;D) and carry on buying guitars that I neither need or use properly. Hell, I still love 'em.

As for continuing this topic and it's variations, I suggest a separate topic for people to relate their experiences of playing. I know there's a certain amount of crossover but, in my opinion, they really deserve to be split. :)

9. angus

angus Active Member

[quote author=Lex Lurid link=topic=10441.msg138426#msg138426 date=1160257163]
    .....YOU have already proven your worth with all that you have achieved and I and many others here salute you.

Why not tell us a bit about how you arrived at the place you now find yourself?
    Everyone can benefit from hearing the experience of others.

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)
    [/quote]

Very good question.

Well, first off, You can learn about the past equipment I used Here.

My first experiences with Guitar were when I was about five, when I got a Johnson Strat Copy. I started playing right handed and got no luck with that. The only notes I could play where E, A, and D, which is probably why I like playing E/A/D chords so much now. I didn't make much progress up until about 7 or 8 when I learned that it was easiest for me just to flip my guitar(s) and strum away. My father is the best Guitar player I personally know. One day when I was still playing righty my dad observed me playing a bit and then asked "Wait, aren't you left handed?". I said yes of course. Then he told me "Try flipping your guitar. Just put the neck in your right hand and pick with your left." I immediately noticed that it felt much better. So I would not even be playing Guitar if it weren't for my dear ole' Dad. After I got much better around age 8 1/2 my dad told me that now that I'm playing better he would buy me a better Guitar. So I got a First Act. An entry level righty double cut which I had kept until I was 12 1/2. I started playing with the original members of High Voltage when I was 11. Jon Faughn, Jacob Wissinger, Brandon Charles, and Auston Scutt (current drummer). They where l and still are good friends (except for Jon and Brandon. They seem to have changed quite a bit. For the much worse) Although I am nuts with empathy for all people I do still dislike. When we started to make Our first demos Jon and Jake quit. So I'm doing both vocals/guitar and we're doing a butt load of demos. I am way better off now than I ever was with those two.

So that's my story.

10. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Positive Stuff Angus, I bet you Bless Your Dad on a daily basis? :)

You have raised yet another interesting point here........ Your Dad has been supportive of your playing for a long time and I now of several other Members who will be feeling the same emotion as I.......PURE ENVY ;)

For MY part, My Father was totally agin anything to do with Guitars and the people that played them. It is a sad fact that he did everything possible to thwart my attempts and it has to be said.....continued to do so more or less to his dying day. :oops:

The people whom offer support and encouragement are in my book....."The Best". I have heard so many times of people's parents really getting behind their Children and offering unlimited support and more importantly perhaps..... ENCOURAGEMENT.

It was something of an alien concept in the Lurid Household and one not only was left entirely on one's own to try and achieve anything meaningful, but then had the added complications of interminable Barriers being placed in one's way at every stage of development.

Thanks SO much for sharing your story Angus, I hope you know that we are all routing for you. ;)

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

11. guitarweasel

:o I too share a similar story !  My family is comprised of Old World Germans Artisans (Wood workers and Printers) It was deemed that I would join my Father in the printing industry........After about 6 weeks of "forced labor" I had the chance  to go on tour.

When I proclaimed my intentions, I came home one night to the Weasel Inquisition.  I was told I would never amount to anything other than a "Printer".   I pretty much told my family to Sod off and did what I felt I had to do.

I came back a few months later with a paycheck the equaled my fathers yearly salary.  To this day, he has NEVER seen me play ( he is  pushing 86 now)   I think he regrets his actions, but it's still a subject we don't talk about much.

So my point is, especially to all the young newbies......Follow your heart and dreams......If you can't find encouragement at home, know that there many out there that will and do support you ! :)

12. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

It's ironic that I also recieved no support with guitar playing. I started playing violin to everyone's delight at 6 years old. My Grandfather played with the Boston symphony, and I am a decendant of Michael William Balfe(Bohemian Girl and 100's of other operettas). At ten, I declared my intentions to learn guitar because I was a huge Jerry Reed, Roy Clark, and Jimi Hendrix fan. I had good taste as a kid, what can I say?
    Mum finally got me a terrible classical guitar when I was twelve. It was hard to play, but I worked it on and off for a few years. Then I bought a Japanese Epiphone Coronet, and started taking lessons when I was sixteen. I got the usual "You'll go deaf", and "What the hell do you want to waste your time with that for?"
    I may not have made a fortune, nor will I get a statue erected at Drury Lane like Mr. Balfe, but I have put out two records, been featured on three compilations, and last year was nominated as "Best Guitarist" in Boston by The Noise magazine. And I get to fulfill one of my dreams by playing at CBGB's this coming Tuesday. And if all goes well, we are working on a short European tour for the spring. My hearing is still intact, and I feel the time I have put into music has been very productive, and a major source of the developement of my character.

13. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I got the old world German thingy too as well as the Italian thingy too, and had to scratch and claw for everything musical! When I was a kid they used to punish me by taking away my equipment, bastardo! for a week .. but I used to sneak down with books and put em in my case while I hid the guitar, Hagstrom's at the time,under my bed ... so at least I could hide in the attic and play till the punishment was over! I still hide guitars under the bed but from someone else now ... It's a dogs life, I tell ya :coolsmiley:

14. angus

angus Active Member

Yeah I guess you could say I have it pretty ok. A Beutiful GUitar that my parents let me play. Nice gaming PC. Already have my own Demos.

15. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

My apologies to ALL...... I didn't mean to abandon this Topic, but got somewhat overwhelmed with complexities of getting New Furniture Up into Bedrooms up a Staircase that wasn't designed for such things!! :lol:

Anyway.....Great to hear of your experiences and your thoughts about Playing in general. SG John and (of Course GW ;) ) Thank You Both so much for introducing the rather "more" Pro perspective, which I am sure has given us all Food For Thought. I know that when I was starting out I really would have loved to be able to call on a resource such as this. O0

I was talking to GW recently and we both suffered from the same Guys whilst we were learning....The Guys who'd play Beautiful Licks whilst standing with their Backs to you......Then when asked about them....just say..."Oh That? I dunno what it was, just came into my head"!! Lordy...How UNHELPFUL can one be eh? ;)
    We both commented that THIS was something that we BOTH Feel Passionately about......and when asked about Licks or whatnot....always try and go the extra mile and show everything that we can to someone who is starting out. It IS "almost" our heritage and we "Should" try and assist as and where we can..........Surely??? :coolsmiley:

So.....Where would you like pointers......IF they were to be available to you?

GW was thinking about a short Video Clip of various things that might wet the appetite............Would that be something in which there'd be interest??

IF we can help......We ALL will I feel sure.

There isn't room for the attitude that "I'm Better Than You............. so go learn".

ETSG has HUGE resources available from its Members....... I for one.....would like to make use of that.

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

16. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Here I was taking lessons from a world class player and every time I asked about certain improvations he'd always say " I just used the chromatic scale and left out the notes that sounded didn't sound good " Here's my $35, thank you! :roll: They didn't last long causa that

17. sgSter

sgSter Member

Great idea Lex! Any and all help appreciated! I do a lot of my learning via the Web these days i.e. everything from youtube videos to GuitarVision. I'm always on the look out for examples or tips on guitar playing. :)

18. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

Man, am I late on this one.....
    Ok, I estimate my playing to be at 50% of what I figure I can ultimately achieve. And that's after close to 30 years of playing (with a few years of non-playing in there). I know I'll never be 100% happy with my skills, but that's part of what keeps me going, that and my love of the instrument itself.
    I'm a so-so player. Not great, not horrible. No shredder on the fretboard, and because of that I concentrate on trying to give it more feeling while playing.
    I tend to be a slightly sloppy player though, my picking hand is real lazy compared to my fretting hand. I'm better than I was, but still.....
    To give an idea of where I am..... I can play pretty much all of Iommi's works..... I can play maybe 75% or a little more of Ted Nugent's works and I can play one or two phrases of Satriani (short phrases of course). ;)
    I love to learn the theory of music and I compose a lot. Most of what I compose I can't play, but it's still fun to do.
    I've been pushing myself to new heights lately because I've been recording new songs. Inspiration will do that. :)

19. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

I have just resurrected a heap of old material from cassette, onto Wavelab...and tried hard to salvage as much as I can. Some of it is listenable, but - more importantly -the astonishing thing is just how "Inspirational" these things are.

I prefer to record onto my Yamaha MD8 than the PC, so it has had the cobwebs removed ... and I can divulge the fact that the microphones have been out - at Chateau Brew, this evening..... (sprays more cognac into throat!)

20. guitarweasel

When Lexie and I were chatting and the subject of the learning process came up, we both discovered a parallel that we both had with guys that wouldn't give up the ghost as to what they were playing. We both agreed that this was not to be and would and do share what we can with anyone willing to take the time to lean.

While I have taught some in my early days, I am NOT a teacher by any means, BUT I would be happy to answer any questions anybody has, as would Lexie ( who can "spank the plank" in his own right. :))

I was working on a little video about the difference between P-90s and Humbuckers, but my webcam is useless in that scenario, so I'll have to get out the Camcorder and do it right.

Any thought on what you'd like, please let me know......Mind you, It won't be anything about scales, progressions or reading since most of that left my body 30 years ago......It would mostly consist of tips, tricks and technique.

Oh.......and I'm sure Lexie would be happy to oblige as well !!

Snark!

-G.W.