Where to find a 1961 Standard?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by PhoenixFear, Apr 14, 2019.

1. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

My buddy is looking for an original 1961 Standard. I’ve found a couple off Reverb but I’m assuming there are better places to look. This is a bit out of my realm, I’m usually looking for husks or player’s guitars but this is hard to find. Anyone know where to look for this caliber of instrument? Thanks.

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

If you can make the trek, Chicago Music Exchange is a respected vintage dealer. There are many others, though. I would google vintage guitar dealers and see what's near you. I would personally stay away from private sellers when dealing with that kind of high priced gear, but that's just me.

arcticsg, SG standard and Hector like this.
  3. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

As he's looking for a guitar that is almost 60 years old, were I in his shoes, I would make the trip to test a guitar, and not buy it online sight-unseen/unplayed. That's asking for trouble imo.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Definitely look at dealers. A lot of people will chose to sell on commission through a dealer as the commission isn't that much higher than Ebay/Reverb/Paypal charges, but you avoid having to deal with time wasters, etc. Obviously you still need to look in the 'regular' places, but you also need to be really careful about what you're being offered - and that's true of dealers too. A bargain '61 SG isn't going to turn up very often - and as you've used the word 'original' I'm guessing your friend is after something a bit special. :)

arcticsg and PermissionToLand like this.
  5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

exactly what is his budget and what condition does he expect? We'll need to start from there.

arcticsg likes this.
  6. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

He wants original, and he wants a realistic price. It doesn’t have to be showroom new but structurally good. He thinks $20k is too high, which I don’t blame him. I get the feeling he’s wanting one for around $10k, but I’ll need to figure out if some kind of KBB exists for this guitar to better gauge a realistic value.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  7. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I was looking for a luthier to do some basic setup work and there aren't many in my area so I did a search. Checking out the websites for the few that popped up led me to one guy who, it happens, specialized in selling guitars, especially vintage ones. He sold Ed King of Lynrd Skynrd the famed "redeye" '59 burst Les Paul (which you can buy a custom shop reproduction of for a mere $11,000) and some 30 others over the years. He has a store but when you search for guitar stores it didn't come up because I guess it's a "music" store.

Anyway I suggest he check for luthiers and maybe even call a couple and ask them who sells the good stuff in the area, they will likely know even if they don't themselves.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

^This is good advice^. If he's serious about a guitar that could reach 5 figures, the nominal fee a luthier might charge for advising would be well worth it. There are tons of potential issues in dealing with vintage gear and that kind of price range only increases the risk exponentially.

9. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

If you are looking for one that's affordable because it needs lots of work -- a great idea -- it's very unlikely that you'll find that at CME or in any shop. Honestly, I have had good results of eBay, far (far!) more than Reverb, which functions mostly as an online store. I also rely on Craigslist, though unfortunately I live in an underpopulated area where the volume is low. For me, it's searching over time, patiently, that works, as the number of items available in any given instant is not really enough to turn up what you may want. I do not have a genuine '61, but I have an '87 '61 Reissue Les Paul/SG Custom, in white, w/ 3 Shaw PUs, and no vibrola (thank god; hate those) that is phenomenal that cost me... wait for it... $1500. The Reissues from that period, immediately after the ownership change from Norlin, can be amazing because Gibson was trying to re-establish itself as a great maker. If you can't find a genuine '61, guitars for this window in time have a lot of the same quality and vibe, and are now pretty "mature" themselves. I am constantly shocked to see how great mine is.