Which Guitarist Do You First Associate An SG With?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Mar 16, 2013.

1. linclink

linclink Member

My fave SG player I associate with it first & foremost today would most certainly be Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. Of course they recently did a Jeff Tweedy Model SG, which is great!!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Okm4KzOLcc[/ame]
    Wilco is, like The Beatles, a band with three great guitarists. Nels Cline is best known for the most lead work with them, Pat Sansone plays guitar & keyboards, & Jeff Tweedy, their main songwriter, may be the most incredible underrated/overlooked (partly because of how jaw dropping Cline's work is) guitarist today. He's a great guitarist period (rhythm, acoustic playing), but he's an especially great lead player.
    The first person I associated with SG's in the past, from way back when, would be Pete Townshend I guess.
    Lots of great players did some of their most seminal work with SG's- Jerry Garcia, Mick Taylor, & Wilco's old former lead guitarist Jeff Bennett etc., etc. ...

2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

WOW Tony, I know I heard MAH Orch, but never realized John played SG's TY for bringing that to my knowledge.

3. chilipeppermaniac

Nice Post Linclink, and welcome to the forum.

4. Mercury

Mercury Member

[​IMG]

This guy....

5. chilipeppermaniac

I was checking the web for Link Wray and Found This.

[​IMG]

Also in a space next to the pic I read this
    "
    If it hadn't been for Link Wray and 'Rumble,' I would have never picked up a guitar." -Pete Townshend​

6. chilipeppermaniac

Now the aforementioned, Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mdubya likes this.
  7. chilipeppermaniac

8. AD72

AD72 Member

Of course I think of Iommi, Krieger and Angus but suprised no one mentioned
    Tim Sult - CLUTCH
    And his V headstock Frankenstein SG
    [​IMG]

lunchbox likes this.
  9. pdxtom

pdxtom Member

Absolutely Angus Young.

scottyo947 likes this.
  10. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Tim Sult - CLUTCH Who? Well I went & found out who. I was duly impressed and entertained listening to his playing and culmination of riff heavy styles on the self titled 95 album 'Clutch'. That album is so riff heavy that I longed to here a full chord by the time I was done. Not sure if thats a complaint or not because the album was that good. So I had to listen to the 2001 release "Pure Rock Fury" and that was even heavier & more evolved. Both riff heavy rockers of albums. I see they even got Leslie West & some others to guest on songs on PRF. Kick ass.

lunchbox, AD72 and mdubya like this.
  11. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

Definitely Tim Sult of CLUTCH. Glad he got a mention here. :thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AD72 likes this.
  12. chilipeppermaniac

hahaha col

13. RobV

RobV Active Member

<------------ In my avatar & after that Tony,Pete & Glenn Tipton. Have to say I was sad when I went to see The Who live in Pitt last year Pete only played a red Strat all night long :(

14. chilipeppermaniac

Rob, That Strat is the last Axe I saw Pete play as far back as the early 90's at Washington DC's RFK stadium.
    I was too young for his SG days, but grew up to see The Who during his Numbered Les Pauls and Schecter tele days.

15. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Hell, I know this post is old, but Dan, you are right... Us Aussies certainly can rock! Ask Moose, Eden, me... ;)

16. Relic61

I always get a giggle out of the fashion ''stylings" of designers when the incorporate useless straps and zippers that serve no real function beyond seeing a strap or zipper where they decide to fashionably place it.

[​IMG]

lol. Makes me giggle. No G, I love the jacket man. Cool.

Now the stylings of the Rumble man himself on the other hand...
    [​IMG]

Speaking of styling, check out that vibrato on his SG.

[​IMG]

The vibrato seems to be a regular Gibson short Vibrola that was obviously added later on and installed way too far away from the bridge, but that obviously never bothered Link himself because he played this SG for years.

Link also fancied the crazy looking longscale Danelectro Tulip guitar. Lipstick tubes anyone?

[​IMG]

I gotta tell ya, I went crazy looking at Youtube vids of Link the other night and really got a Link Wray education that I never got before. His era was just a bit before my time as Rumble (the impromptu jam hit) that started it all was in '58. Can you believe that Rumble was actually banned on some radio stations for, get this, "seeming to suggest teen violence"!! And that feeling was done just by using music & not one single word being uttered. Now that is amazing. Supposedly, Link created his Rumble guitar tone by using a 1953 Premier 71 Amp that had a 12" Jensen Field-Coil speaker and 2 smaller 3" Jensens which He poked holes into to emulate the distortion he'd get when he'd crank the amp and to produce a dark, grumbling sound. Grumble, Rumble I get it. Teenage violence....not so much.

One last thought on Link and his breakthrough hit Rumble, recording it with the last time around with that super thick tremolo. How thick was it??? It was so thick that it lowered the overall perceivable volume of his guitar. Suppossedly he bought that Premier amp specifically because it had that thick onboard tremolo. The story from link was they made this song up at a live gig & the "kids" went nuts over it. Link recalls the drummer becoming bored, having enough & stopping before Link said 'we're done' & got an earful about it being the only time in what was otherwise a very long day where nobody GAF what they were playing until they came up with this made up groove song later named Rumble. The drummer kicked it back in to much continued enthusiastic crowd approval and the man, myth & legend of Link Wray became born into Rock N Roll history.

17. chilipeppermaniac

Barry, Thanks for adding your experience researching Link.

I too enjoyed some LINK time a few months back. I seem to remember seeing things as you explained it here:

"One last thought on Link and his breakthrough hit Rumble, recording it with the last time around with that super thick tremolo. How thick was it??? It was so thick that it lowered the overall perceivable volume of his guitar. Suppossedly he bought that Premier amp specifically because it had that thick onboard tremolo. The story from link was they made this song up at a live gig & the "kids" went nuts over it. Link recalls the drummer becoming bored, having enough & stopping before Link said 'we're done' & got an earful about it being the only time in what was otherwise a very long day where nobody GAF what they were playing until they came up with this made up groove song later named Rumble. The drummer kicked it back in to much continued enthusiastic crowd approval and the man, myth & legend of Link Wray became born into Rock N Roll history."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKjjb8RmcgA[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  18. chilipeppermaniac

Switchblade is such a sick song,,,,,,,,,, Thick Bass, driving beat and wild guitar.
    Link Wray, Nuff said.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qcQ5yx9O_A]Link Wray - Switchblade - YouTube[/ame]

19. D3athstarrunner

D3athstarrunner New Member

hell yeah Link Wray! I hate to associate Iommi with the sg anymore because i don't think he has used an actual Gibson for decades... That is like linking anyone using a Jackson Soloist with a Fender Stratocaster.... I would say Krieger as well, even though I didn't know what he was playing... The Doors were still the first band I ever picked to listen to on my own....

20. Relic61

This raises a good question to ponder, 'How many guitarists are not only associated with one guitar but have only played that one style guitar exclusively throught their career?'

Isn't it expecting a little too much to think a professional & successful guitarist would could should only play one guitar their whole musical career & be happy happy happy???

I'll leave yall to expound upon the rest of that 'cause I gots practice to get to.

Later.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.