Which is the best DIY body and neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cheshiergrin, Apr 15, 2018.

1. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Active Member

Suggestions for the best DIY body and necks. I have a special project in mind and I want it to be perfect.

2. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

You would have to have the experience to make that determination at the time of purchase. You can't poser your way through building a quality instrument.

When you can tell us what to use, there could be a possibility of rational discussion. If it's for something you hold dear, do it right. What is right? IDK. But we can discuss it here until you know what is right for you and your vision.

3. cheshiergrin

So what your saying is you don't have a preference for any of the DIY kits out there. And are you calling me a poser?
    Any one else got any actual input?

Logan likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If I remember well, there's been some nice kit builts here from time to time.

cheshiergrin likes this.
  5. cheshiergrin

just 3 of the guitars I Painted and assembled, I am not a Luthier but I have been working on guitars for a couple days now. I hope being a strat guy in the past does not make me an outcast. 20180404_194103.jpg 20180415_194713.jpg 20180415_194752.jpg

syscokid and Adavis84 like this.
  6. DrBGood

What type/model are you looking to build ?

7. cheshiergrin

I suppose I should have clarified that, an SG.

8. Norlin SG

Sorry. My post wasn't very helpful was it? Just one of my more "transcendental moments". I was the "Poser" in that post. Oh, and I know, my humor can be rather "out there" at times. Definitely My Bad.

I did see some SG set neck Chinese Kits that the quality is kind of variable as reported by different people that bought them. If you are interested in Tels check out these guys. http://www.tdpri.com/forums/tele-home-depot.46/ They might know of kits worth buying even for building SG's

Strats? A very respectable guitar in it's own right. Leo was a genius but at the same time he was practical and a skinflint all wrap up in one person. If I could have just one electric, a Strat would certainly be on my short list so no, it isn't just about SG's here.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    cheshiergrin likes this.
  9. Silvertone

Silvertone Member

In this section DIY would be BIY - Build It Yourself! I haven't seen any decent SG kits. Precision Guitar Kits used to make one but have changed the body style dramatically. Probably because they got a C&D letter from big "G". What is your budget? If you want to find the best kit for $100 then you roll the dice and get a POS Chinese made kit. If you want something decent and are willing to spend to get quality, I'm sure there are those here that could build you a kit. I would include myself in that group. I want to build an SG with vintage specs soon so making an extra or two would probably work out well.

Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

cheshiergrin and syscokid like this.
  10. DrBGood

cheshiergrin likes this.
  11. cheshiergrin

No worries man, and I apologize for being a bit quick on the defensive, thanks for the response.

12. cheshiergrin

I do want a nice neck, binding is not essential to me but good quality is. I am pretty leery of the cheaper kits I see when it comes to the neck. What would you need to build me a kit?

13. cheshiergrin

14. Norlin SG

cheshiergrin likes this.
  15. Silvertone

Silvertone Member

The quality would be night and day difference. It always amazes me to think you can buy all the parts for a guitar for under $100. The wood alone costs me more than that. For me to build a kit it would probably be in the $400 - $500 range, which would not include parts. I live in Canada, so it may be more cost effective to work with someone closer to you. I have done quite a few kits for people with varying degrees of completion. It is a great way to get into building.

One of the problems with kits like that is the wood. They are still made in Korea or China with very cheap wood, just marked up and re-branded. I have heard good things as far as value for the money but it's hit and miss. Generally a company in the states will outsource everything but then pay a little extra to get decent quality control, but it's still cheap crap it just fits together better.

Cheers Peter.

JazzyJeff and cheshiergrin like this.
  16. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

The one where you drill most of your own holes. If you can still find Bulldog, they are good. I have gotten a bad one from them, but they were quick to replace it. Keep your eyes peeled. I am working out my machines and supplier so in the near future, I may have something good and kind of new to offer myself. But may as well ask, how do folks feel about American Redwood? We haven't been served REAL mahogany for years now anyways. What is the point of importing something else labeled as mahogany?

cheshiergrin likes this.
  17. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

100% agree

18. Silvertone

Silvertone Member

I can still get Genuine Mahogany but it is very very expensive. Almost double what I was buying it for less than 5 years ago. I have found some really nice African Mahogany recently for less than half the price. I have also been using White limba, black limba, and spanish cedar, which is all reasonable for two piece body blanks, but hard to find in large widths.

Cheers Peter.

JazzyJeff likes this.
  19. cheshiergrin

what about swamp ash?

20. cheshiergrin