Which models of SG have the Slim taper D neck

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by turtleparadise, Nov 20, 2017.

1. turtleparadise

turtleparadise New Member

Hi everyone

I'm looking to start learning guitar at the ripe old age of 40, the thing is I have small hands, and I've been reading a lot about SG 400 and the Slim taper D neck which sounds like it could be right up my street.

My question is which models have this neck and any differences between the models as there's a few variations

Thanks in advance

2. joy-z

joy-z Member

In my experience, the slim taper D neck is not really that slim. The slimmest Epiphone sg necks I have seen are the elitist or the 50th anniversary SG. Find a used one of those.

3. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

nm

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  4. sazista

sazista Active Member

G310 is like a Strat neck, flat.

5. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

You're right. Stratocasters have thinner necks.

6. roxynoodle

roxynoodle New Member

Are you set on a G400? I did have one about 15 years ago, the Goth edition. For some reason I just never really bonded with it. I did pick up a Jay Turser SG in 2005 because I wanted to try P90s; it's the JT-55 model. I do have to say the neck on that guitar is just super fast and playable. Whatever it is about it, I like it better than I did my Epi. I know they don't make the 55 model anymore but I am pretty sure the JT-50 with the humbuckers is identical.

I also have a Burny SG from the very early 80s that I love a lot, and it's a keeper. And previously I had a 1983 Gibson SG Special that I would also still have if my ex husband hadn't hocked it at a pawn shop. I'm not suggesting you look for either of these as old Gibsons and old Burnys seem to command pretty high prices now. I just thought I would throw in my experience with other SGs for a reference.

It is really hard to decide on a first guitar because you don't really know what you like yet. Strats do have thinner necks but they also have a bit wider fret spacing and I find they feel "tighter" on the strings. Bending is just a different experience for me after playing Gibson/Gibson type guitars for 35 years. Maybe that is just me though.

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Oh look, someone asking about an Epiphone gets directed to buy a Gibson.... That doesn't sound familiar AT ALL!

Logan likes this.
  8. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Gibsg is back...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

dub-setter likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Yup. 'fraid so.

Using the name of the French club from the terror attack from two years ago. What a scumbag.

Logan and SG standard like this.
  11. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Well, he never was subtle, was he? :rolleyes:

Gotta wonder what's so appealing about coming here and posting pictures of other people's guitars, that he just can't keep away...

Logan likes this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Who knows?

He must be tired of visiting different Libraries and places with free WiFi just to get a different IP address each time.

I say we ban FRANCE!

Logan likes this.
  13. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Can't do, wine is too good.

arcticsg, dub-setter and Logan like this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Meh, Cullyfornah wine is alright. I prefer ciders and bourbons though.

Logan likes this.
  15. sg jones

sg jones Member

My Epi sg special was low cost and has a slim d type of neck. Feel's great. I've done a few changes but nothing to the neck. 20161218_153345 (600x800).jpg

16. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

I would start by asking why you think you need a super thin neck to begin with if you've never played guitar? I know the received wisdom is that slim necks are easier to play, so the thinner the better for a beginner. You might find that a little bit of wood behind the thumb is a good thing. Keeping in mind that I don't mean those huge vintage style fat tele necks, or 50s gibo necks...I'd say anything that isn't specifically a thick neck is going to be good enough to start learning on. Most entry level guitars are made with the beginner in mind, they most likely wont have baseball bat necks! I might be wrong....just my two cents... I 100% support your decision to start playing buddy!

drown likes this.
  17. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i believe the ones with the slimmest necks are on the prophecy series?

18. GraphX12

GraphX12 Member

I've never understood the different neck labels (Slim Tapered D, 60's Tapered D, Traditional C, pencil neck V, tree trunk O, ...).
    All I know is my '99 G-400 has the thickest neck I've ever played and my '14 LP Trad Pro has the thinnest.
    Love the SG but not the LP - too thin.

19. drown

drown Well-Known Member

I started playing at the ripe old age of 42 on a 2005 Epi SG special and my hands are not large. Best way to know is to try different ones, but I've got to say thickness is not as big an issue as nut width. I find narrow necks harder to play. Need to be much more accurate with finger placements. A wider neck is easier to learn on in my limited experience. I tried a 2016 or 2017 G400 pro which I was very impressed with and almost bought. It had great action, and for my hands was very easy to play on in terms of width and thickness. I'd look at those if you are keen on an Epi. I can make some model suggestions for Gibsons too but I'lll wait until you specifically ask for that so that I don't incur the wrath of the Epi Crew.

GraphX12 likes this.
  20. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Small hands....Nuff said...

(I should disclaimer everything I've said so far with the fact that my hands are huge so I don't know your struggle... hehe)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017