Whole lotta humbucker

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Norton, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

I Just dropped the duncan "whole lotta humbucker" in the bridge position of my 1990 (61/62?) reissue SG.

It's not like any humbucker I've played before. This pickup's voice is big and clear. Bright, but not harsh...or even overly bright. I may even dare to call it sparkly. But as you gain it up or start to push the volume up, that top end smooths out and thickens up. It's got that "vintage Paf" transparent honk but with a more transparent top end.

The previous owner of my guitar added two mini switches (ever heard of push/pots jackass? ). I'll plug the holes eventually.... But in the mean time I wired the pickup to switch between series/parallel wiring of the coils in the pickup.

This pickup is just as loud in parallel as in series. The tone shifts a ton, as you'd expect, but it doesn't drop off in volume like other 4 conductor pickups tend to.

I'd imagine it would work well as a single coil, if that was your cup of tea.

Does anyone have more experience with this pickup?

2. geddyleefan

geddyleefan New Member

Ive been curious about checking one out for a while now. Maybe come tax season I'll throw one in a Les Paul or SG

3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

I'm still bummed that geddy stopped playing the ric.

But the whole lotta....pickup is very accurately described. I wouldn't say it's led zep in a box. But I would agree that it's really dynamic, very even through the top end, but still in that "vintage Paf" family.

4. njstoehr

njstoehr New Member

I put a set of these in a Les Paul Studio and love them. Bright, articulate, well balanced, great crunch are all expressions that come to mind. They sound very close to the vintage Tar Backs a buddy of mine has in his '74 SG. I love them.

Not sure if I will try a set in my new 2012 SG, but if I come to the decision to swap PUs out in it, they will be on the list.

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

We were just discussing how many bassists with a unique style had used Rickenbacker basses as their main axe or for at least part of their career.

Geddy was named second.

He still sounds good on his jazz bass.

6. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Squire, McCartney and geddy come to mind immediately... Who else am I missing?

Tar backs? Epoxy backed pickups?? I have completely missed these. But I concur on articulate and blanced, for the whole lotta....

I know duncan is kind of pedestrian these days, but this is a pretty freaking good sounding pickup. And the dimarzio 36th anniversary's are crazy good....are the bare knuckles of the world really worth thr extra $$$. ????

7. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

Lemmy Kilmister.

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

All the ones mentioned..and a couple lesser stars such as Roger Glover

[​IMG]

Some other players-

Paul Simonon

[​IMG]

Bruce Foxton

[​IMG]

Oh - in his formative years John Entwhistle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 string Rick

[​IMG]