Why does Gibson do this?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by skeeterbuck, Aug 19, 2013.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Active Member

Here is a pic of my newest SG. It's a Diablo SG. This is for me one of those type of guitars that visually I don't really care for, but tone and playing wise I really like. :hmm:

[​IMG]
    Not a great pic, I know, but you get the general idea.

Now here's the thing that I find unacceptable. They use Bournes mini-pots for the vol/tone because they don't route the control cavity enough for full size pots. Also notice how close the switch is to the edge of the control cavity, you they have all this additional space for nothing. Now to top that off, they use nice, heavy chrome plated set screw knobs, but the pots are split shaft and it's a PITA to get the pots to stay on and feel secure.

[​IMG]

Not to mention that they run the input wire through the tone pot before going to the volume control.

Anyway, I purchased to Bournes solid shaft mini-pots and installed them this weekend and rewired the control cavity to have the input hot wire go directly to the volume pot. I think wiring it this way makes the guitar quieter than before the change. Plus the fact that the knobs are nice and secure. IMHO there's no reason for Gibson to be cutting this type of corners on this nice of a guitar. Not Gibson bashing , just telling it like it is. I like this guitar so much that I plan on selling my other Gibson SG and keeping this one. With the maple top, it kinda like a cross between a traditional all mahogany SG and a LP which I like. I also not a real fan of 24 fret guitars, but i think this is a good way to use the space between the usual 22nd fret and the neck pu.

Chuck

2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

...and why did they not use 4 controls, especially on
    a guitar that nice? They routed out the control cavity
    for 4 but only put in 2.

profit margin

It would have cost them maybe $1.00 more to put individual
    volumes and tones in. I would own one but refuse to buy it
    on principle.

unklcrispy and Kevy Nova like this.
  3. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

I think they use two controls so they don't have to drill through the carved maple top. They probably pre-route the bodies and then pick any one up to add the maple cap. Everthing in the control cavity seems to be located to avoid the carve.

4. skeeterbuck

The route is different from a traditional SG route and the whole top is maple, so anywhere they would drill the holes would be through the maple top.

5. skeeterbuck

I rather like the idea of just a master vol and master tone. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :hmm:

6. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

I'm surprised to see the mini pots in it.

7. skeeterbuck

I was too. :lol:

It's not like they didn't have any room for full size ones!

8. Frogfur

Frogfur New Member

Give them some credit for trying to produce something for everyone.

9. bea

bea Well-Known Member

Maybe some players are actually happy not having to deal with separate volume and tone pots for each pickup.

To my eyes the carving brings more liveliness to the non transparent colors (gold or red), but is optical overkill with that beautiful curled maple top.

BTW: what would be the advantage of using larger pots?

10. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 New Member

Well, they're, uh...bigger.

john

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I am glad you resolved your pot size issue. I have a client with a Diablo and it is a lovely guitar to play and hear.
    Biddlin ;>)/

12. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Always good to see someone join the forum to share their
    technical expertise.

It's a shame that this isn't one of those occasions.

unklcrispy likes this.
  13. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I don't think there is one. I installed the Bourns mini-pots in my Washburn HB-30. I had to use them because the F-holes in the HB-30 are more slender than on an ES-335 or some other semi-hollow guitars, and full-size pots would not have fit through the F-hole.

Anyway, I think the Bourns mini-pots perform just as well as the full-size pots on my other guitars.

Now, from a manufacturing perspective, I can see how the shorter run that the wiper runs across in a mini-pot could present a bit of a challenge in getting the taper right. But, Bourns has it figured out pretty well.

I like the Bourns pots so much, I'd actually consider it a selling point on this guitar.

As for the positioning, I think Gibson was just trying to follow the contour on the surface.

14. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

Gibson doesn't want to route through the carve and have to "counter sink" the controls. If you look at some of the PRS's it will show what I'm posting about.

15. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

In theory no difference, especially with the Bournes. My thinking is they more than likely have bins full of pots. I wonder why they added an expense. I'm sure there's a very good reason.

16. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

nice looking guitar but like some others... I sure like to have volume and tone for both pickups. I routinely tweak the tone on individual pups from song to song so like having two tone pots. I don't see many of those guitars used, did they sell many?

17. brazilnut

brazilnut Well-Known Member

Very nice looking axe, I'm thinking. If it plays and sounds as good as it looks, it must be loads of fun to drive! As for the control positioning, my vote is with njpaulc's.