Why dont headstocks need reinforcement such as truss rods?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Layne Matz, May 6, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Ive read that necks without truss rods will bend and warp over time, why doesnt this happen to headstocks?

They obviously dont have any metal reinforcement, it seems like they would be prone to warping due to the tension and how thin they are. Ive never heard of them warping. Can anyone explain this?

2. PixMix

PixMix Active Member

Even if they would warp, it wouldn't matter as it's behind the nut and it wouldn't cause any issues with playing the instrument. I'm sure Gibson headstocks will move (bend forward) a bit under string tension, but it doesn't matter.

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Who says they don't warp. Have you ever closely measured a Gibson style headstock plumbness ?

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

OCD is at epidemic levels.

Layne Matz likes this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

They will snap off and neck dive anyway so why bother....

Satellitedog and rotorhead like this.
  6. Layne Matz

I reas that the original Ginson and fender necks would be taken off and replaced becuase if forward bowing or warping. Ive played at least two DOZEN Vintage Fenders and Gibson's at verious music shope around Nahsville and NEVER have i seen a headstock that was visibly warped this doenst seem to make snese to me... Why doenst the whole damn headstock bow forawrds over 30 years of continous tension?

I think I read that it only took a few years for Rory Gallaghers original Strat neck to bow forwards beucase it did not have a truss rod.
    It just puzzles me how crucial the truss rod is for alighning the neck angle or bow but WHY on earth is the whole headstock strong enough to take all the tension for years but the whole neck would is if it doesnt have truss rod??

7. Layne Matz

Meant to qoute you in the above post

DrBGood likes this.
  8. AngelDeVille

9. AngelDeVille

10. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

As to the last part, it's mostly due to the majority of the tension affecting the area furthest from the pegs and saddle- in other words, the middle area of the entire neck. That's the area most affected by the tension created.

Layne Matz likes this.
  11. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

I would say length has a lot to do with it. Also if you take a look at the area at the cross sections through the neck and the head stock. The neck has less area and therefore less strength. Comfortable design may also be at play here. It makes no difference how thick the head stock wood is, other than weight which could affect neck dive. The thickness of a neck however, for some, has a lot to do with a comfortable playing guitar. You can over design the thickness of the head stock and nothing changes.

Understanding wood also may shed some light. Wood moves. It takes on moisture when it is in a humid environment and loses moisture in a dry environment. This causes the wood to swell and contract. The larger, or longer, a piece of wood is affects the amount of movement. The neck is long and has a truss rod to control the forward bow and back bow, and even some twist in some truss rod designs.

Cheers Peter.

PermissionToLand and Layne Matz like this.
  12. grinch

grinch New Member

Strings running parallel to the headstock (Gibson) on their way to the nut will compress more than bend. Fender likely shares compression with bending force but still bugger all. Regardless, it's a short piece of long-grain timber with the stresses spread across ~43mm at different lengths. Piece of cake.

Caveat: There are always exceptions.

PermissionToLand and Silvertone like this.
  13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

I'd imagine it's because they're short, and the strings cannot leverage the wood as easily. If you picture the string as the lever and the nut as the fulcrum, there's just not that much distance that can multiply the string's tension to the point where it can warp the headstock.

Silvertone likes this.
  14. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

It's too short a distance from tuning post to nut to cause warping. The length-to-thickness ratio is way, way, way different for a neck... 24.75" vs... 6?

PermissionToLand likes this.
  15. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Gibson tryed solutions to reinforce the headstock but customers don' t like ...

One piece mahogany headstock is very important for sound/sustain.

Layne Matz likes this.
  16. Layne Matz

Do you believe scarf joints impact sound/sustain and thus tone?

17. Silvertone

Silvertone Active Member

I think this is a myth. There are lots of scarf joints and laminate necks on very expensive and "toneful" guitars. A lot of classical guitars use scarf joints. Acoustic guitars are a lot more sensitive as far as how the wood and construction affects tone. Even bolt on vs setneck vs neckthrough affects tone in very different ways. I do not think any would be considered bad, just different.

Cheers Peter.

PermissionToLand and Layne Matz like this.
  18. PixMix

PixMix Active Member

19. PixMix

PixMix Active Member

20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Of course ... :cool: