Why Gibson?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Aug 22, 2018.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Just curious...

I am not a "Gibson guy." I go for brighter, poppier sounds that the Rickenbacker or Fender line can offer. I also seem to like the looks and feel of Fenders and Rics. Also my favorite artists seem to have played Fenders and Rics.
    So I buy Fenders and Rics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So for the Gibson guys here....why Gibson? What about their guitar line made you gravitate towards them?

2. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Oh God...........this will be good. Need some popcorn. Bait????

3. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

"brighter poppier" DUDE have you ever heard a 57 classic?

4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I’m a Gibson guy, SG’s, V’s etc... I’m also a Danelectro, Charvel, and Jackson guy.

I’m not trying to copy any performers sound, so I don’t buy instruments based on chasing someone’s “tone”.

I buy the instruments that feel and sound good.

That said, I fukking hate Les Pauls, and Fender Jazz and Prescision basses.

I barely tolerate Fender Stratocasters.

And I have never seen a Rickenbacker that wasn’t ugly as ****.

The artists I admire play all types of instruments, even the ones I don’t like personally.

Gillean and Didds like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Play Gibson, since it felt right from the first day.
    Play Ibanez, since it felt right from the first day.
    Play Ric, since it felt right from the first day.
    Despise strats, since I hated the electronics and the bridge from the first day.

What matters is how it plays. I thinks strats are a series of design flaws that people over the ages have brainwashed themselves into thinking that's how it should be.
    A Tele on the other hand, perfection from day one.

Logan, Didds and AngelDeVille like this.
  7. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

If you don't think Gibsons are punchy, it's because you're going from second- and third-hand information from people who don't know squat. That is all.

I get pop, punch, twang and jangle from my Gibbys if that's what I want. A can also get throaty, fat, whatever. And, I can do all that without pedals if I choose (blues/pop/swing gigs). For cover band stuff I do use pedals, but I don't rely on them. Set the amp properly, plug in and go.

When leaving the house, whether I pick a Tele, Les Paul, SG, Firebird for #1 that night, I'm good.

Col Mustard and AngelDeVille like this.
  8. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I only play guitars that neck dive.

juliang, Logan, rotorhead and 6 others like this.
  9. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

So first point is anyone playing any guitar is ok with me. Someone with that many is going to be pretty darn good probably. So more power to you.

My poor strat which is a very nice guitar just doesn't get any time in my rotation. It sounds darn sweet. I can do anything I am capable of pretty well on that guitar.

I like the feel in my hands of my Gibsons a little better. They seem to want to come alive.

Personally ha ha I think maybe you should try getting your hands on a 2018 SG HP and play it for a month or two at least an hour every day. Then come back to us and report why your other guitars are better. But an SG standard would work also.

Fender has some nice pickups no doubt. My first strat had the usual single coil setup but my current one has fender dual hum buckers with coil split. It works just fine.

The 57 gibson pickups are hard to improve on in my opinion. But my LP with the 490 and 498 setup also works extremely well.

So anyhow take some time try getting and playing an SG for a while and report back what you think?

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

For me short scale and fretboard radius are it. Can't bond with a pencil neck.

And of course ... P90

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

2000 SG Special (humbuckers)
    2004 SG Classic (P-90's)
    2007 Melody Maker (single coil)

[​IMG]

Logan, PermissionToLand and lawrev like this.
  12. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Friend, I have an SG:

[​IMG]

I've had it for a while and I've played it for a while. I'll report on it now if that's what you want.

- beautiful craftsmanship, gorgeous to look at from any angle, under any light. Magnificent.

- rock solid when it comes to parts. Tuners, bridge, frets, electronics, knobs, switches...this guitar does not ring out "Cheap."

- playability...I don't experience this neck dive many seem to talk of. I do sometimes have my hand slide down the neck and fret chords two frets away from where I should be. This does not happen on any other guitar I own...just the SG. I suppose the length of the neck from body deceives me.

- sound...Nice but nothing distinctive. That's the key. My Rickenbackers and Fenders (and Gretsches) have a very distinct sound. My SG...no. It is mid-rangey, throaty, yes; but there is no signature sound that comes from this guitar. 12 string Rickenbacker, Strat on the two-position pickup switch, Tele on the bridge, Gretsch when I wiggle the Bigsby..those are instantly identifiable tones. Glorious tones. My SG....?

13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

LOL, some here got a little defensive about the "bright, poppy" comment! I mean, yes Gibsons can be bright and poppy, and SGs are brighter than LPs to begin with, but there is simply no comparison to a Strat in brightness simply because they're totally different designs. One big difference is the scale length, Fenders are longer and therefore have higher string tension resulting in more treble and twang. No guitar can be everything. Strats do bright, twangy tone the best and Gibsons tend to do darker tone the best. They can both go in the other direction to an extent, but without some major changes they can't challenge each other at their strengths. And that's okay!

Personally, I was first drawn to Gibsons by their design. Even before I ever played one, I was captured by the sexy curves and sharp horns of the SG and the beauty of the LP. I'm a designer by trade, so aesthetics are very important to me. And Gibsons fall right in that sweet spot between too austere (Fender) and too gaudy (PRS), in my opinion.

When it comes to playability and functionality, I also preferred Gibsons from the outset. The top knob on Strats always gets in the way of my strumming, and ends up rolling off the volume as I play. On the two Strats I have now, I have removed a tone and moved the volume down. The other issue I have is the bridge design. I find it very hard to palm mute effectively on a Fender bridge. Also, you have the allen screws sticking out and scratching against your hand. I also prefer the lighter tension of Gibsons making for easier playing. I don't like to fight my guitar, that's why I use .009s. Dr.BGood mentioned the radius, which is annoying to anyone who likes bending at high frets. But even Gibson's radius is sometimes not flat enough at the high end. I wish they kept the compound radius of the 2015 SG Std. That should just be standard spec on any guitar made today, IMO.

That said, I do like some things about Fenders. I like the twangy tone and the dynamics of single coils that seem to get lost with humbuckers. I like the feel of an unfinished or just lightly/satin finished neck. And there is just something about Strats that seems to make me more creative. I can't explain it, but they just pull creativity out of me more than Gibsons. I've also come to appreciate their aesthetic over time. Strats, anyway. Teles are ugly, sorry.

Rickenbackers, I've never played. I am curious, but the design doesn't work for me, aesthetically, so it would probably remain a curiosity.

14. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need new pickups. IMO every SG needs some form of T-Top or something similar, it's just what an SG should sound like. That's what you hear on all of the early AC/DC albums, and nobody could say that's not distinctive! The real deal are crazy expensive now, but there are several good reproductions out there for reasonable prices. I got some from Brandonwound.

Logan and Didds like this.
  15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Two main factors are feel and tone. Runner up versatility - nothing is more versatile than a Les Paul IMO, nothing even close.

If you have a perception that a Gibson isn’t as “bright” as a Fender or Ric, I would counter that by saying my experience is that they are easily as bright but the difference you hear is that Fenders and Rics are actually thin-sounding and lack the fullness of tone that a Gibson possesses. Having the full spectrum of sound to work with is a big part of their flexibility, and the overall playability makes them much more expressive instruments to me.

Logan likes this.
  16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

This thread is not too bright, Popi!

17. Didds

Didds Active Member

What "design flaws" are you talking about? I'm sure that there are a lot of people who would make the same argument about SGs and Les Pauls

PermissionToLand and Logan like this.
  18. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Every guitar has a design flaw if you try hard enough.
    Right tool for the job.
    What design do you enjoy playing?

19. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

If anyone was to look at my guitars they would assume I am a Gibson guy. I have two Les Pauls and two SGs (well, one of the Les Pauls is actually a guitar I built up from a Les Paul husk I got on eBay). I have one Stratocaster, one Jackson Dinky, and one Washburn HB-30 (an ES-335 type of guitar).

But, I’m not really a “Gibson guy.” I don’t like branding myself like that. I don’t even have a favorite guitar. Each of my guitars is different and serves a purpose.

The truth of the matter, so much is so personal about an instrument. What some perceive as a negative, another will view as a positive. Take the Stratocaster volume knob. Whereas many dislike it because of it's position, others love it because of its position! Its position is very good for those who like to use the guitar's volume knob for swells. A guitar may feel great to one person, but bad to another. Personally, the type of guitar that is the most instinctive and natural to me is an ES-335 body size and shape, but with the pickup selector in the upper bout, like a Les Paul. Other people don't care for large semi-hollows at all. Who's right? I am!!! Okay, just kidding! But, you see the point.

I've taken the approach to discover the strengths of my guitars and use them where appropriate.

20. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

That is only an issue with the traditional Strat bridges with the bent steel saddles. The modern Strat bridges with cast saddles are more comfortable than a Gibson Tun-O-Matic. The allen screws are more deeply recessed in the saddles.