Why I love my Gibson SG? What's your story?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by davidb1986, Apr 2, 2013.

1. davidb1986

davidb1986 New Member

So I gave up my 2 PRS SE guitars that were heavily modded and were my mains over my Gibson LP Custom to pay for Phlebotomy School. I could have sold my SG to cover it, but I couldn't do it. I love the guitar to much.

Reasons why you ask?

Well its tone and playability is 2nd to none. Don't get me wrong I love LP style guitars a whole lot, but my SG does it all. The Burstbucker 1 and 3 pickups are amazing! Especially since they are my favorite pickups (any Gibson Alnico II Burstbucker) on the market right now. I changed the pickups in my LP Custom from the 496R and 498T to Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups. The reachability of the upper frets is awesome. Especially since I have small hands. The coil taps let me have 7 different tones, making it sound like a Gibson SG or even pretty close to a Fender Strat. I play mainly a bluesy rock style lead for my Praise and Worship band and my church. So these tones are perfect. This thing can also rock it about without getting muddy also. I had an Epiphone SG Special and SG Custom a few years back and didn't like either (well I loved the Special since it was my 3rd guitar to own until I grew out of it and got a nice Fender Jap Strat). This discouraged me from SGs until I saw mine in a pawn shop in September for $465 and got more off since there was a back to school sale so I got more off of it (it was collateral for a defaulted loan so they were selling it for what they were out on the loan). Plus I have also loved Silverburst. My only complaint is that I use chord bends a lot and it goes out of tune fast with the Kluson style tuners. I will probably add locking tuners to fix that.

This is why I love my Gibson SG. What's your story?

[​IMG]

:dude::jam::band:

2. seizure

seizure Active Member

one word: AC/DC

3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I've had mine for about a couple of decades now and I still love it to this day. When I first saw it in the store, something went off in my head and I just had to have it. It caught my eye and I was obsessed and possessed! I didn't even have no money at the time and I begged the salesman to put a hold on it for a few days so I can borrow some money. He was reluctant, but gave in. I ended up borrowing money from my brother who gave me a hard time (but he always gave me a hard time for anything). I just loved the look of the guitar and the feel of the ebony finger board sealed the deal. I just love it and I can get super-low action compared to my many other guitars that I have aquired along the way. I first set it up for slide-guitar, but figured I don't play much slide and wanted this guitar to be one of my main guitars with regular tuning. I love the high fret access and it's light-weight. I find I can really finger pick well on this particular guitar. The 490r/490T combo is one of my favorites, even though a few people crap on them. The trick is to set the height on these pick ups and I even adjust the screw pole pieces for optimal sound. Now it sings!:thumb:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

guzinta, Lhvr and Susihukkanen like this.
  4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Copied from an old thread:

In 1967 I went to the Shrine Exhibition Hall in Los Angeles to see Steppenwolf. They were the first band. The second band was some guys named the Quicksilver Messenger Service. One of the guitarists had an SG and I had never heard anything like what came out of his amplifier before. His style of playing was unique and totally "rang my chimes". After the show, they actually came down to mingle with the audience (things were different back then) and I met John Cippolina. When I told him the effect his playing had on me, he said "It's the guitar". I looked at him like he had 3 heads. He saw the look on my face and elaborated "It's the guitar. It does everything I ask it to do"
    Early 1969 I am back in NYC and what he told me is still in my head. I am SG shopping. I find this guitar in a store in Manhattan. As soon as I touch it I feel a connection. I plunk down my money and take it home. For over 44 years now this guitar has always, ALWAYS, done everything I have asked it to do.
    Thank you John.
    Attached Thumbnails[​IMG]

Moline, Bijou Drains, gtone and 7 others like this.
  5. BlackSG91

^^
    Hey, Tony Manhattan, I don't have a microscope on hand to view your photo. Do you think you can upload a somewhat larger picture visible to the naked eye? Looks like a nice guitar, I think.;)

Lhvr likes this.
  6. seizure

seizure Active Member

ditto

BlackSG91 likes this.
  7. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Versitality wins, especially if you don't have many guitars. It's a shame you got rid of your PRS pair (beautiful guitars, even the SEs) but you made a good choice in keeping the SG!

When I was a teen and was in possession of my shiny new Squier I was already gazing in guitar magazines and drooling over all the pictures of new and very expensive guitars. I was flicking through and suddenly BAM there it was - a Faded Gibson SG. :wow:I swear I had never seen such a fine piece of wood before and even though I love all musical instruments, the SG is uniquely beautiful and raunchy, charming and in-your-face.

I took a summer job to save up for this little piece of heaven (or hell... your mileage may vary :D) but couldn't stomach paying so much for one thing at such a young age and so the money got left in an account until 12 years later i got the itch yet again and finally acted on my decade-old dream - my very own Gibson SG Special Faded! Seems it wasn't just a phase that I would grow out of. Rock on. :dude:

Col Mustard likes this.
  8. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I'll see what I can do. The original piture was lost when
    I had to reformat this hard drive to clean out a plague
    (virus doesn't begin to describe how bad it was) but I'll
    look in my other posts for a better picture of it.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

Back in the early 70's, I bought a used (it wasn't vintage yet) SG/Les Paul. It was black, and where the lyre should have been, there was a little plaque made out of pick guard material that said CUSTOM. It had been ordered that way. I loved the sound but wound up trading it for another guitar, which I don't remember. I've wanted another SG ever since. Fast forward to last November...I fell at work and broke my right shoulder. No surgery, no cast, just swelling and lots of pain. Lots! After a month of staring at my guitars, I finally picked one up and managed to slide it under my right arm. I could play! It felt like I was being guided. I got some money out of savings, and I've bought another SG every month for the last 4 months, because each one made me want more. I think this vision quest is over at this point, but I really feel blessed at the way it turned out.:dunno:

guzinta and BlackSG91 like this.
  10. BlackSG91

You see what happens when you write too much Haiku on your computer? Those 5-7-5 syllables can carry some contagious viruses. Maybe you should become Irish and stick to limericks. Now that's poetic justice.:naughty: After squinting my eyes, it looks like your guitar has three DiMarzio's. Maybe it's the Angus Frehley Buddakan SG. Take your time looking for them pictures, but hurry the fvck up! While you're at it, see if you dig up some old photos of you back in the 1960's, when you had hair.:dude: BTW that was a good little story you told earlier. Those were great times for music, and a lot of good high quality drugs back then.:wave:

11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Wow, that's dedication....you really must love our SG's!:thumb:

12. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Good call BSG.
    They are Larry's PAFs and I put them in in 1977-78.
    Bridge and neck. The middle one is more recent.
    The guitar is wired 2 puckup. The middle PU is cosmetic.
    (2 of the 3 original PUs are still in my possesion.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    BlackSG91 likes this.
  13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

First off great decision . Much the same reasons I love my SGs .
    Secondly, how's Phlebotomy School, are you sticking with it ? Sorry , just had to take a poke . I guess it's only fair, you getting needled I mean. I'm sorry, I really feel vial about the puns.
    Biddlin ;>)/

oldrockfan and BlackSG91 like this.
  14. BlackSG91

Ah, so it is an SG Buddakan!! Just like on Aces LP guitar where the middle is cosmetic and of course he uses DiMarzios.:paf: At first glance I thought they were PAF's with tarnished gold covers, but after squinting my eyes more, they became DiMarzios.:squint: And he's also a city-slicker like you from Manhattan.:cool: And he's Irish like you are trying to be so you can write limericks instead of Haiku's.:hmm: But you're Italian, right, just like Larry?:fingersx: You know something, I should get a job as a psychic or a ranting fortune teller. I could make a lot of money you know.:applause:

15. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

For me, the weight and comfort are the two major perks of the SG. I still love the looks of the LPs but the weight and that fat slabbed body just are not that comfortable for me to play. An SG on the other hand is slim and light and super comfortable to play. Plus that dual horn design sure looks cool for classic rock and I have to say some of my favorite guitarists of all times played SGs very effectively.

16. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Black your so bad I bet the ladys call ya MR SPEED LOL.
    and If your country has blocked this let me know I send Ya some ammo.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmZ35VCV978]Mr. Speed (KISS) - YouTube[/ame]

Susihukkanen and BlackSG91 like this.
  17. Markm

Markm Active Member

Cool thread.
    After getting an SG special as a backup guitar. I fell in love with the feel, sound, looks and how well the SG fits my style.
    Sold my PRS for a Standard, and haven't looked back.
    I am converted!

Col Mustard likes this.
  18. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Amen, you know what, I like many guitars. But the SGs are like Strats to me with comfort. They are so comfortable you can forget your wearing one.

Soooooo comfortable, really no way around that. :dunno:

Bijou Drains likes this.
  19. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

- Sound: it just sounds the right with almost any amp and settings

- Feeling: combined light weight, good ergonomics and usable fretboard area. Some other guitars have the same amount of frets but they are only for decorative purposes. In SGs they are made for playing. Feeling under (in my case right) arm is also one thing. SGs got it right as well as Strats - earlier models like LPs and Teles has sharp corner there. This shape with rather thin body makes SGs the best in terms of playability.

- Looks: It is just so lovely looking, actually the best looking guitar (Sorry, I couldn't resist posting these)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. guzinta

guzinta Member

This is a great thread. I love reading everyone's story. ...so my first post here, I told "my story" in response to someone else's similar story. Here it is again...
    --------------------------------------

Hey Scott.. I can soooooo relate to your story, but I can tell you my story is even worse! This is also, my first post here, btw. I am now 58. When I was in my early 20s I had an early 70s SG Std and absolutely loved it...best guitar I ever played.

Fast forward to the early 80s. Now married. First child on the way. I'm not in a band and only jamming occasionally and my wife (now ex!) insisted that I sell it. Like a fool, I finally complied, and have kicked myself (hard!) pretty much every day since then. Over the years I have had many other guitars. I love my Les Paul and others that I've acquired over the years, very much. I would occasionally pick up and try other SGs from time to time but none ever seemed quite as nice as the one I owned.

Fast forward to a few months ago. There are no music stores where I live that carry Gibson, but my lust for filling that SG void has finally got the best of me and I just had to have one. So browsing online I noticed the SG Std with the P90s! Holy sh!% and I almost balked because of the baked maple fretboard. I read up on that a bit and noticed the only folks complaining about then were the ones that hadn't tried em. So I pulled the trigger. Brandy new SG Std w/P90s. I frickin LOVE this guitar. It is fabulous. The fretboard is fine. Tone is classic P90 kick butt SG all the way. Look at all those years I wasted!!! All is right with my world now!:dude:

Col Mustard and BlackSG91 like this.